aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Guest Jake Wifebeater
It was good to see Celtic get dicked by the 2nd richest team in Manchester.

Agreed. It's not real football obviously, but it's always a pleasure to see a bully get their come-uppance. Back to real football, though:

Dunfermline 1-0 Partick

Joint top of the Firstie and looking good.

:up:

Im quite sure the pars would give aberdeen a run for their money at the moment. aberdeen have been fucking dreadful from what I have seen so far (although I have only seen telly footage)

I'd be interested to hear what Alkaline is saying about the drama unfolding at his English branch. Funnily enough he has been affa quiet on that matter!

I'd be interested to hear what Alkaline is saying about the drama unfolding at his English branch. Funnily enough he has been affa quiet on that matter!

I'm usually "affa quiet" in this thread as i only ever get the piss ripped out of me, but here we go.

Spurs have 3 problems:

1. Ramos has no idea how to play Premier League Football. He may be a good manager, but he hasn't got the tactical part right yet.

2. There are no solid midfielders in the Line-up. There are far too many creative players and no players who can hustle and put a bit of fight into the midfield. If Ledley King was fit all the time he'd be perfect for a holding role but i think we'll have to bring someone in during the January transfer window (Huddlestone could fit the bill if given time to make the role his own). I like the creative players in the team just now but Modric really needs to put a bit more effort into the weight training to beef him up and Ramos needs to find a role for Bentley that suits his playing style.

3. The striker problem. Darren Bent is a target man. Pavlyuchenko is a target man. Frazier Campbell is shit. Spurs held off too long selling Berbatov and didn't leave enough time to replace him. It was the lack of time that meant that Michael Owen wasn't pulling on a Spurs shirt on September 1st. I expect him to be a Spurs player either in January or next Summer. Spurs will sign another Striker in January but it must be an out and out goalscorer as they already have the people capable of hold-up play.

I don't think Spurs will go down, but it's going to be a rough season. Ramos may work if given time to adapt to the squad. The players Spurs have, i have no problem with but they need to get some solid workmen and a proven goalscorer in January.

Comolli must NOT go.

Was very impressed with the Newcastle performance on Monday night. The boys held together well after a stupid refereeing decision and played with a little fire in their bellies which is quite refreshing to see. Very impressed, in particular, with the performance(s) of Bassong and Coloccini at the back, both look like they could end up being a great couple of signings for us. Oh aye, and it's always good to see Stroller chipping in with a goal.

We'll be alright; as soon as we get Gutierrez, Owen and Martins back in the side we should be set for another safe mid-table finish. Very pleased with the work JFK's put in thus far; I don't see him as a long-term solution but he's instilled a bit of fighting spirit back into the side and he'll do nicely until we get taken over.

What the devil has happened to Aaron Lennon too? He was full of promise last season. That kid could run past anyone and whip in a sub-par ball only to be headed away by a centre back. Not bad for a teenager. Now he barely seems to sprint and just gets tackled before he even gets adjacent to the penalty area. Has he been drugged, or bribed to be shit at football - Grobbelaar style? Either way, it's a shame. I always rated him, and I'd have liked to have seen him play more for England. He made late-sub appearances in the 2006 World Cup and looked like the only attacking player in an England shirt.

Frazer Campbell is young, but he's got potential. He's fast and his awareness isn't half bad for his lack of top flight experience. Hopefully he won't turn into a greedy ball hogger, thinking he's got mad-skills like that god-awful Keiron Richardson did. His pre-season performances proved that he could be the real-deal in a few years. If he turns out to be any good though, United will just snatch him back. Ah, the Loan Arrangement. What a bastard for the little guy it is when the player comes good!

I'd enjoy seeing Spurs and Newcastle for the drop anyway. I can't see Spurs winning another game until January.

What the devil has happened to Aaron Lennon too? He was full of promise last season. That kid could run past anyone and whip in a sub-par ball only to be headed away by a centre back. Not bad for a teenager. Now he barely seems to sprint and just gets tackled before he even gets adjacent to the penalty area. Has he been drugged, or bribed to be shit at football - Grobbelaar style? Either way, it's a shame. I always rated him, and I'd have liked to have seen him play more for England. He made late-sub appearances in the 2006 World Cup and looked like the only attacking player in an England shirt.

All Lennon has, in my opinion is pace. When he loses that in his late 20s (a la Darren Mackie 8-)), he will be rubbish, do a Kluivert and spend the years supposed to be the peak of a footballers career playing for a Championship side.

If I could put a bet on it, I would.

I'm usually "affa quiet" in this thread as i only ever get the piss ripped out of me, but here we go.

Spurs have 3 problems:

1. Ramos has no idea how to play Premier League Football. He may be a good manager, but he hasn't got the tactical part right yet.

2. There are no solid midfielders in the Line-up. There are far too many creative players and no players who can hustle and put a bit of fight into the midfield. If Ledley King was fit all the time he'd be perfect for a holding role but i think we'll have to bring someone in during the January transfer window (Huddlestone could fit the bill if given time to make the role his own). I like the creative players in the team just now but Modric really needs to put a bit more effort into the weight training to beef him up and Ramos needs to find a role for Bentley that suits his playing style.

3. The striker problem. Darren Bent is a target man. Pavlyuchenko is a target man. Frazier Campbell is shit. Spurs held off too long selling Berbatov and didn't leave enough time to replace him. It was the lack of time that meant that Michael Owen wasn't pulling on a Spurs shirt on September 1st. I expect him to be a Spurs player either in January or next Summer. Spurs will sign another Striker in January but it must be an out and out goalscorer as they already have the people capable of hold-up play.

I don't think Spurs will go down, but it's going to be a rough season. Ramos may work if given time to adapt to the squad. The players Spurs have, i have no problem with but they need to get some solid workmen and a proven goalscorer in January.

Comolli must NOT go.

What are your thoughts on his non english? Seems to have transferred onto the pitch into a form or boys running into eachother with kitchen pots on their heads.

They shouldnt have sold their strikers and if they had to (berbatov) they should have asigned an engine room

What are your thoughts on his non english? Seems to have transferred onto the pitch into a form or boys running into eachother with kitchen pots on their heads.

They shouldnt have sold their strikers and if they had to (berbatov) they should have asigned an engine room

He's started speaking a wee bit, but he's totally void of passion on the touchline. Whereas Poyet, who i really rate, can usually be found jumping around like a caged chimp next to him. It was the same last season. The language barrier was obvious when Dawson and Kaboul regularly ended up running off in opposite directions and parting the defence like the red sea.

Berbatov had to go. As much as i like him as a player, the sulky fucker is better off at Utd. Keane moved to a team he supports, can't really deny him a move like that. The selling i object to was Defoe to Portsmouth. Spurs need a player like him to feed from Pavlyuchenko and Bent.

Here's a surprise:

BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Beckham to join AC Milan on loan

Also check out this - looks like he took a sair one from Alan Hutton, almost lost his sight if you believe the article.

Sorensen slams Hutton challenge

_45131060_sorensen_getty_226.jpg

Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has said he was a millimetre from losing his sight following a challenge by Tottenham's Alan Hutton on Sunday.

The Dane was substituted because of a head wound in the second half of the 2-1 win over bottom-of-the-table Spurs.

Sorensen, 32, claimed the full-back, who was booked for the incident, could have avoided colliding with him.

"It was a millimetre off me losing my sight and it is miraculous there is no more damage," said Sorensen.

Sorensen, who joined the Potters in the summer on a three-year deal from Aston Villa, revealed he needed stitches in his eye socket.

"We are at a stage where it is not funny any more," added the former Sunderland goalkeeper.

"He could have avoided hitting me. He had no chance to reach the ball but he still threw himself into it, leading with his studs.

"The doctor has done a very good job so my face is not totally destroyed."

Here's a surprise:

BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Beckham to join AC Milan on loan

Also check out this - looks like he took a sair one from Alan Hutton, almost lost his sight if you believe the article.

Hutton barely touched him, certainly not with anything that could cut him (unless his shorts were sharp or something). He did however take a fair whack from Sonko...

Hutton barely touched him, certainly not with anything that could cut him (unless his shorts were sharp or something). He did however take a fair whack from Sonko...

Naw, it was definitely Hunton. Sonko clattered the BACK of Sorenson's head, which was no doubt a sore one, but would not result in a cut face. Hunton's outstretched boot caught him plumb in the chops, and left him with a nasty gash. It was, no doubt, accidental, but a bad challenge nonetheless.

Love from Christy

Naw, it was definitely Hunton. Sonko clattered the BACK of Sorenson's head, which was no doubt a sore one, but would not result in a cut face. Hunton's outstretched boot caught him plumb in the chops, and left him with a nasty gash. It was, no doubt, accidental, but a bad challenge nonetheless.

Love from Christy

Hmm, not from any of the angles i saw at all. Looked like Sonko caught him on the brow to me.