aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Call it an exception to the rule, but Ronaldinho, a Nike figurehead, just moved from Barcelona, a Nike sponsored team, to Milan, an Adidas sponsored team.

That's the people who make the kit though, a fairly small logo on the shirt. Someone who is getting x amount of s from Sony is not contractually going to be able to run around and be photographed wearing a shirt with a massive logo from one of their major competitors on it.

If Chelsea only have a further season with Samsung then i reckon you'll see Kaka in a Chelsea shirt next season.

I'm sure you're right about a first option or something re the Shevchenko deal though.

Chelsea are realistically the only club capable of affording Kaka. But how long is that going to last. Will Abramovich lose interest with the club if they win the Champions League, and is there some sort of contingency if he pulls out his money? They could quickly hit the skids like Gretna on a much larger scale.

Chelsea are realistically the only club capable of affording Kaka. But how long is that going to last. Will Abramovich lose interest with the club if they win the Champions League, and is there some sort of contingency if he pulls out his money? They could quickly hit the skids like Gretna on a much larger scale.

I had just written a really long response trying to say why this wont happen, but then I realised I was just rambling and I had gone completely off track. What I will say though is that the situation with Chelsea and Gretna are completely incomparable.

Kaka wont sign for Chelsea.

SWP was never good enough for a champions league team.

Didn't realise that the next round of the League Cup is seeded:

Draw made 2pm on Monday.

Seeded Teams:

Celtic

Rangers

Motherwell

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

Falkirk

Inverness CT

St Mirren

Unseeded Teams:

Kilmarnock

Hamilton

Queen of the South

Dunfermline

Partick

Livingston

Morton

Airdrie

Plenty of potential banana skins there, at a push i'd hope we get Airdrie at home

Like so many others, he looked a great player until he went to a big team and couldn't get a game.

Off topic, but I had a thought the other day. Remember when Mark Burchill came through the ranks at Celtic and got in the Scotland squad and everyone was calling him "Scotland's Michael Owen" and going on about how he's going to be the next great Scottish player?

Hmm. Lets look at that.

England's Michael Owen:

Club App (Gls)*

Liverpool 216 (118)

Real Madrid 35 (13)

Newcastle 44 (19)

Total 295 (150)

- International 89 caps, 40 goals.

Scotland's Michael Owen:

Celtic 50 (20)

Birmingham City 13 (4)

Ipswich Town 7 (1)

Portsmouth 24 (8)

Dundee 11 (2)

Wigan Athletic 4 (0)

Sheffield Wednesday 5 (0)

Rotherham United 3 (1)

Hearts 12 (3)

Dunfermline Athletic 75 (29)

Rotherham United 0 (0)

Total 204 (68)

- International 6 caps, 0 goals.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying, Mark Burchill is a donkey.

Draw made 2pm on Monday.

Seeded Teams:

Celtic

Rangers

Motherwell

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

Falkirk

Inverness CT

St Mirren

Unseeded Teams:

Kilmarnock

Hamilton

Queen of the South

Dunfermline

Partick

Livingston

Morton

Airdrie

Plenty of potential banana skins there, at a push i'd hope we get Airdrie at home

I'd take any of them provided we get a home tie. Queen Of The South away would be the nightmare scenario!

Draw made 2pm on Monday.

Seeded Teams:

Celtic

Rangers

Motherwell

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

Falkirk

Inverness CT

St Mirren

Unseeded Teams:

Kilmarnock

Hamilton

Queen of the South

Dunfermline

Partick

Livingston

Morton

Airdrie

Seedings clearly based on the current "scintillating" form of the "Top 8 Teams"

What an utter length of pish!

I had just written a really long response trying to say why this wont happen, but then I realised I was just rambling and I had gone completely off track. What I will say though is that the situation with Chelsea and Gretna are completely incomparable.

Kaka wont sign for Chelsea.

I wasn't meaning go completely out of business, but a league tumble coul d happen in a worst case scenario.

I want the long version please :)

I wasn't meaning go completely out of business, but a league tumble coul d happen in a worst case scenario.

I want the long version please :)

Chelsea aren't completely reliant on Abramovich, they still have assets in the form of players worth tens of millions of , they still squeeze 45000 folk into Stamford Bridge every week with tickets starting at 40 and corporate boxes going for thousands, they sell merchandise in pretty much every country in the civilised world, get millions in TV money from Sky, million dollar sponsorship deals etc. If Abramovic backed out they would have to downsize (starting with the astronomical wage bill), but they wouldn't go tits up. Gretna on the other hand had no players of note, had to play their home games 50 miles away in front of 100 or so fans, and they were never going to get big crowds even once Raydale was completed since the population of Gretna is about 2000, and the only money they had coming in was from Mileson. It was never a viable business.

Chelsea aren't completely reliant on Abramovich, they still have assets in the form of players worth tens of millions of , they still squeeze 45000 folk into Stamford Bridge every week with tickets starting at 40 and corporate boxes going for thousands, they sell merchandise in pretty much every country in the civilised world, get millions in TV money from Sky, million dollar sponsorship deals etc. If Abramovic backed out they would have to downsize (starting with the astronomical wage bill), but they wouldn't go tits up. Gretna on the other hand had no players of note, had to play their home games 50 miles away in front of 100 or so fans, and they were never going to get big crowds even once Raydale was completed since the population of Gretna is about 2000, and the only money they had coming in was from Mileson. It was never a viable business.

Yes, but if you sell those assests you no longer have them right? If you don't have players who can compete at a high level you can't rebuild the team quickly enough for it to not damage the club long term. Look at Leeds. They were once a very big club. They aren't now.

Yes, but if you sell those assests you no longer have them right? If you don't have players who can compete at a high level you can't rebuild the team quickly enough for it to not damage the club long term. Look at Leeds. They were once a very big club. They aren't now.

You could write a book about how badly Leeds were run though. They signed players on long term deals with huge wages, then when things started to go wrong they couldn't move them on, and they had to keep paying them. They also didn't pay their transfers fees, they only paid half up front and promised the rest after they won the Champions League. Then of course, they got knocked out in the semi-finals and couldn't afford to pay the rest of the transfer fees, found themselves with huge debts and had to jettison their entire first team and sell their stadium to keep things going. I can't see Chelsea getting to that level, they would haev to get rid of the Drogbas, Lampards, etc. but with the money they have coming in from merchandise, tickets, TV money etc they could easily build a team of lower priced players that would keep them in the Premiership, and rebuild from there.

Guest treader.
Mixed bag over the past few days:

Dunfermline 0-0 Airdrie

Then last night:

Dunfermline 1-0 Alloa

Kirk does it again...

Some bad news from last night:

Nordsjaellend 2-1 The First Division Team Who Lasted Longer Than The Huns In Europe

TFDTWLLTTHIE were good value until they got knackered towards the end, cue the "glorious failure" cliches...

Some :up:, some not :up:

tomorrow eh jake?

dunfermline - livvi.

i get the feeling we will lose 2-0.

goodbye 3rd place in the league.

Any whispers on players coming in at LP?

I predict 4-1 to Montrose tomorrow, Johhhhhhny Maitland second half hat-trick.

:up:

Don't Montrose always fuck it up in the second half??

It's a shame there's only one man of the match award, as it'll be a hard choice between Guy Kerr and Andy McNulty :love::love:

I've already accepted that ICT are getting beat at Falkirk tomorrow, so i'm doing my best to stay clear of that result...

Random Thought Of The Day:

it's come to my attention (thanks to that bastion of quality, the EE) that 10 years ago this day Craig Hignett was sent off in a 1-1 draw, becoming the third aberdeen player to walk in three consecutive matches. (conspiracy!)

for the brief period he was up here, hignett looked differnt class. though maybe not in that particular game, eh?

what the hell happened to him? where did he end up?