aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

watch a french horror flick called Frontiers. Fucking ace. A bunch of left-wing student types are trying to flee the now extremely-right-wing French governement, heading to Holland so the mian lassie can get an abortion. End up staying at a motel run by a family of Neo-Nazi cannibals.

What more do you want from a movie?

watch a french horror flick called Frontiers. Fucking ace. A bunch of left-wing student types are trying to flee the now extremely-right-wing French governement, heading to Holland so the mian lassie can get an abortion. End up staying at a motel run by a family of Neo-Nazi cannibals.

What more do you want from a movie?

Boobs. :popcorn:

I watched...

Forbidden Planet - The 1956 sci-fi film about a spaceship landing on a strange new planet, with an unrecognisable Leslie Neilsen as the ship's first commander and Anne Francis as the sexpot daughter.

6a00ccff843972985d0109814756d8000d-320pi

I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this as generally I find a lot of 'classics' from that era haven't aged well and offer little other than kitsch value. I was very pleasantly surprised with this one though, it was excellent from start to finish, one of the best films I've seen in years. It played a bit like an old episode of Star Trek, only better. Highly recommended.

Thumbs UP

Igor - an animated film about a hunchbacked mad scientist's assistant who wants to become a scientish himself. The premise is really good and the cast is full of heavyweight actors (John Cusack! Steve Buscemi! Christian Slater!), the problem is that the animation and character designs look really crappy, and most of the jokes fall flat. It's like a cross between Pixar and Tim Burton, but nowhere near as good as either of them. It's a shame, I really liked the characters and I liked what the film was trying to do, it was quite charming in places, it just wasn't funny. At all.

Unfortunately, thumbs DOWN.

Today I had the pleasure of watching...

Superbad - Never fails to make me laugh, brilliant.

Requiem for a Dream - Never seen this before, but have always meant to get round to seeing it at some point. A very good film, if not a little fucked up in places. Felt really sorry for the character, Sarah Goldfarb. Would recommend it if you've not seen it.

American Gangster - Watched this last night. Fine film if a bit slow (I watched the extended, uncut version running at nearly 3 hours) but throughly enjoyable. I forgot how good an actor Denzil Washington is and i've started added a few older films by him to my lovefilm.

Got Dog Day Afternoon to watch later this week.

Today I had the pleasure of watching...

Superbad - Never fails to make me laugh, brilliant.

Requiem for a Dream - Never seen this before, but have always meant to get round to seeing it at some point. A very good film, if not a little fucked up in places. Felt really sorry for the character, Sarah Goldfarb. Would recommend it if you've not seen it.

Two great movies.

Requiem...Ellen Burstyn should have got an Oscar for that performance.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - bought it in a cheapie deal from HMV. Slow moving, but interesting comtemporary Western. Good performances from the cast, especially Casey Affleck.

Jurassic Park III - Complete and utter bobbins.Spinosarous Egypticus was cool though.

I had a look at some of the reviews on IMDB. Turns out it's one of those you either love it hate it films. I definetely hate it.

Well that's fair enough! I can totally understand why folk may dislike it. Anyway this thread has inspired me to upgrade my VHS copy to DVD, 2.20 off Amazon, nae bad.

Last night I watched 'Boxcar Bertha', an early Martin Scorsese effort starring Barbara Hershey and David Carradine. It came as part of a 5 film Scorsese box set that HMV are selling gratifyingly cheap (Raging Bull, New York New York, BB, King of Comedy and The Last Waltz) and it's an OK film although it has that rubbish red paint blood effect going on that you see in old films.

My little brother, who is a movie fanatic, told me not to watch this unless I'm in a really good mood and want to be made depressed. So I've still not done it.

Martyrs - Fucking weird French revenge/horror movie. Couple of twists, one which I guessed, the other part I'm still not entirely sure I made sense of. Pretty fucking freaky when you're stoned though.

Finding Nemo: having recently read that this film made it in to Time Magazine's "100 greatest films of all-time" list (!) and held the record of biggest-selling DVD of all time (!!) I figured it'd be worth checking out.

The film is technically outstanding: looks amazing & vibrant, animation is great, the surround-sound track is among the best I've heard and the research in to the ocean and ocean life shines through. Lots of good jokes throughout for both adults and kids. However, it's not a very original story, has about 30 minor characters that you want to know more about, manages to downplay a family massacre, and dozens of cultural references / homages / stereotypes.

Overall: I wouldn't have put this in the 100 greatest films of all time myself, but it is a great film, very enjoyable - even if it's not quite on par with Toy Story. 8/10

Jurassic Park III - Complete and utter bobbins.Spinosarous Egypticus was cool though.

That's two bad reviews for this in the last week. Personally I think it's a great little thriller, good set pieces and great turns from the likes of William H Macy. For what it's worth, both Alan Cynic and I count it as our favourite of the three.

My little brother, who is a movie fanatic, told me not to watch this unless I'm in a really good mood and want to be made depressed. So I've still not done it.

It is a really, really good movie, but not one you'll watch more than once...

It should be used to teach children the dangers of drugs.

I watch Requiem For A Dream fairly frequently, one of my favourite films. Great style, soundtrack and although not a feel good movie, definitely Aronofsky's strongests effort to date, The Wrestler runs it close though...

Finding Nemo is great, I actually prefer it to Toy Story these days. My 2 year old has been fairly obsessed by it recently although Shrek has taken over lately...at least there are 3 of them to provide some variation....

That's two bad reviews for this in the last week. Personally I think it's a great little thriller, good set pieces and great turns from the likes of William H Macy. For what it's worth, both Alan Cynic and I count it as our favourite of the three.

Oh, it's enjoyable enough and has one of the most unintentionally funny set pieces ever...

You know the one...Dr Grant and the boy are on the wrong side of the electrified fence.

They hear the satellite phone, turn round and face the humongous Spinosaurus, which has somehow crept up on them (despite shaking the ground earlier in the movie).

It never fails to crease me when Dr Grant whisper out of the corner of his mouth ... "Run!"

... as if the dinosaur can hear, let alone understand him. Gold.

But for all that, highly entertaining bobbins.

Oldboy - Korean revenge flick. Fucking ace fight scenes, lulls a bit in the middle, but then a super fucking sick double-or-triple-twist stuck into you right at the end. Fucking yaldie.

Aye OldBoys absolutely banging. Its the best of the three Vengeance films as well. Though have to say I find Sympathy for Lady Vengeance a lot more disturbing.

Watched Curious Case of Benjamin Button at the weekend. Despite a pretty lacklustre ending, though suppose its hard to make a baby dying exciting, thought it was pretty good. Thought it a top notch performance by Pitt as well. And suprisingly, despite hating Tilda Swinton, she wasn't bad either. Though I suppose you can understand why it was criticised for being a showboat for the technology.

Rewatched Ratatouille and Usual Suspects aswell. Both of which are brilliant. Think Pixar are just getting better and better. Thoroughly looking forward to Up. As for Usual Suspects, there just arent enough movies like this.

Breaking the Waves: Set in Scotland c. 1970s, it tells the story of a local lass who marries a Norwegian oil worker and their life after an accident. My biggest issue was that it was too long: 2 hours of slow churning, a 30 min spike of insane drama and then back to the churn for another 20 mins. It's not exactly uplifting, mainly because it covers topics like love / monogamy / religion / disability. It's filmed using a shaky-cam, which can get quite annoying and the very last scene is 100% totally stupid.

The biggest reason to watch this film is Emily Watson's outstanding performance, first major role and she absolutely stole the show. The rest of the cast are also brilliant - which makes the story more believable and essentially keeps you watching. The soundtrack's also pretty good. I love Lars Von Trier's stuff, but this isn't his strongest film.

A good piece of film that's well worth watching... if you can last to the end. 6/10