aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Once: lo-fi film touted as a 'love story musical' done on the cheap centered around an Irish busker and a Czech immigrant. The artsy-fartsy crowd will love this film although personally I thought it was average, looks cheap (almost like a documentary) and the tunes were pretty rubbish & whiney. A few good nuggets of humour was the only thing that stopped me from turning this over. 4/10

Maniac Nurses Find Ecstacy: only really watched this because of the ace title and it was worse than anything I ever imagined could pass as a film, even by troma and ZoneHorror standards!!!! Tried to be like a Russ Meyer film... and failed. Tried to be a bit of a kinky film (nazis, whips, girl fighting etc)... and failed. Tried to have a bit of gore... and failed. Was supposed to be a hospital full of nymphs... AND FAILED!!!. Having seen more than my fair share of b-movies I'm kind of tolerant to them but this was the worst film I've ever seen! 1/10

Once: lo-fi film touted as a 'love story musical' done on the cheap centered around an Irish busker and a Czech immigrant. The artsy-fartsy crowd will love this film although personally I thought it was average, looks cheap (almost like a documentary) and the tunes were pretty rubbish & whiney. A few good nuggets of humour was the only thing that stopped me from turning this over. 4/10

That's crazy talk dude, I loved this film and feel I have to defend it a bit. It's not "artsy fartsy" it's just simply a love story and doesn't claim to be anything else. It looks cheap because it was cheap, it was an independently made film mostly paid for by the director, and it was made for less than 100k, none of the folk in it were actually actors, and the sets were actually the cast and crew members houses, which just adds tot he charm of it IMO. I really liked the music as well.

Each to their own and all that. But you're wrong :laughing:

This is probably my favourite film of 2008, I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

The bucket list: two terminal cancer patients try and have fun with their remaining time on earth sound cheery? Its actually quite a good film. Seeing two heavyweight actors (Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman) play off each other is something else, but why oh why is Freeman always cast as an omniscient black man!?!? Hes the new ultimate typecast. Pretty daft story, but a good pick-me-up with some amazing scenery although its quite a slow-burner. 7/10

Forgetting Sarah Marshal: utter gash - although its the main guy whos naked way more than is forgivable! Predictable, rubbish and not really funny - even the cast from better films like Superbad / Tropic Thunder etc couldnt save this. Switched off after 20 minutes. 1/10 (only because theres some tits tits)

3:10 to Yuma: arguably two of our generations finest actors (Bale / Crowe) play a law-abiding rancher and a notorious outlaw respectively. Initially, I thought theyd work better cast the other way but was absolutely blown away by both performances. The story moves along brilliantly and from start to finish the film is full of action, drama and brilliant characters - both main and the supporting cast. Unfortunately, the endings a wee bit far-fetched, but adds even more depth to one of the main roles. A must-see film! 9/10

Paul, how can you rate a film after only 20 minutes? The story is only just getting started after 20 minutes, it's a bit harsh to describe a film as not even funny when you've only seen the start. That's like reading the first page of a book and deciding the whole book is shit.

Paul, how can you rate a film after only 20 minutes? The story is only just getting started after 20 minutes, it's a bit harsh to describe a film as not even funny when you've only seen the start. That's like reading the first page of a book and deciding the whole book is shit.

Warning signs:

• The entire cast was full of nobodys and rubbish / failed actors (russel brand isn't even a real actor!)
  • because of this the majority of the cast was beyond watchable
  • It was the director's first full-length
  • 0 gags in the first 20 minutes that made me laugh
  • The story has been done a bajillion times, and you could see what was going to happen 5 mins before it did
  • Gratuitous nudity was expected but unnecessary knobs all over the shop for nothing other than 'gross-out' / shock value

Individually, these things (other than the last one!) aren't big deals but combined, it didn't fill me with hope. After 20 mins nobody in the room could bear to watch any more. It's clearly a love-hate film, but I let people know I only lasted 20 mins so that they wouldn't take the 'review' too seriously. ;)

Angels & Demons - The Diesel "One Word Review?" - PISH.

Great views of Rome and fabulously filmed, but how much of Robert Langdon "finding" a 500-year-old 60' diameter symbol in the Piazza del Dago (that no-one else seems to have noticed in half a millenium) that points to the Chapel of Dolmio where Cardinal Lazio once cornholed Michelangelo whilst facing due south towards the River Ferrari, where the ....ach, you get the idea.

Tenous link, after tenous link as much running and revving of Alpha Romeos ensues.

• Upvote 1

Watched Cinderella Man last night and have just finished watching A Beautiful Mind. Both have the Russel Crowe / Ron Howard combination and it's fair to say that I surprisingly didn't feel any time had been wasted on viewing either of them (a rareity as at first they both struck me as being the latest watered down and sentimental (yet "inspirational") works of real-life folks . I have to say while Crowe has been in my good graces since the Romper Stomper days, I've never been fully convinced as far as Richie Cunningham's ability behind the camera. My estimation has indeed gone up after these two.

Cinderella Man is the classic human underdog tale, full of drama and a strong sense of family winning through with Howard making sure you get the point without being too twee or overdoing it.

A Beautiful Mind builds slowly and carefully, like a difficult math equation. It's worth seeing for its explosive study of schizophrenia in a complex manner and for Crowe and Howard's intricate, internal look inside the charector's mind. It all works beautifully (see what I did there!?).

A strange coincedence that seems to happen in my film watching; I'll watch a couple of films not making the association link at the time of choosing, and then have the epiphany moment during or after. Last week was 40 year old virgin and then the next day Little Miss Sunshine. Fair enough to say there are only so many actors/directors etc out there...

...In fact, if I heard someone say "You'll never guess what happened to me at the weekend. I watched Taxi Driver on Saturday, it was great. Then I got really pissed and harboured thoughts about killing every bit of street grease out there. Anyway, after my hang-over subsided enough for me to get out of bed and focus again, I watched The Deer Hunter. It wasn't until afterwards that I realised I'd picked two films with De Niro in them without even meaning to! How spooky is that?!", I'd probably beat them with their own shoes.

Just ignore me. :down:

Angels & Demons - The Diesel "One Word Review?" - PISH.

Great views of Rome and fabulously filmed, but how much of Robert Langdon "finding" a 500-year-old 60' diameter symbol in the Piazza del Dago (that no-one else seems to have noticed in half a millenium) that points to the Chapel of Dolmio where Cardinal Lazio once cornholed Michelangelo whilst facing due south towards the River Ferrari, where the ....ach, you get the idea.

Tenous link, after tenous link as much running and revving of Alpha Romeos ensues.

I was obliged to take my friend's kid to see this and agree with your one word review!

Mind numbing. Although I did quite like the twist which kind of annoys me. Enjoyable for an 11 year old though.

Watched about 35 minutes of "Yes Man" before switching it off in disgust. I don't know how Hollywood gets away with it.

Got a John Woo Collection yesterday with 'Bullet in the Head', 'Once a Thief' and 'The Killer' which I watched yesterday. Of his old Hong Kong stuff I'd only seen 'Hard Boiled' which is great. 'The Killers' pretty good too. Nice that it actually has not too bad a story either. And the action...cannot be complained at.

Going to watch 'The Counterfeiters' tonight. Hopefully that should be pretty good.

Cinderella Man is the classic human underdog tale, full of drama and a strong sense of family winning through with Howard making sure you get the point without being too twee or overdoing it.

Glad you enjoyed the movie. I used to box and am a fantic of the sport, so I really enjoyed the movie. My only gripe, is the movies depiction of Max Baer (the champ) as a callous, obnoxious loudmouth. He was indeed a larger than life playboy, but what the movie fails to mention is that he suffered depression and nightmares after the death of Frankie Campbell (the boxer who dies in the flashbacks) and that he supported Campbells family. He also put Campbells kids through college.

But I guess the movie wasn't about Baer, plus poetic licence and all that.

ha ha agreed it was quiet shit (but then I watched the whole thing), I thought it was very very similar to Heartbreak Kid. I am not a rom-com fan, altho I do like some of them like 'Holiday' which I liked, but not the sarah marsahll one

Watched about 35 minutes of "Yes Man" before switching it off in disgust. I don't know how Hollywood gets away with it.

I thought Yes Man was really good (especially for Jim C whom I can take or leave). It was a total feel good film by the end of it. You should have watched the whole thing. Even my pal who thinks most fo what I watch is shit, really liked it (I do watch some shit films - but take them for what they are generally)

Terminator 3 tonight :)

Guest Bob Double Jack
Blue Velvet on ITV4 a night or two ago.

Still a cracking, genuinely creepy film.

:up:

thats a very good film - dennis hopper is awesome in it.

i just watched Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, weird but good. need to get my hands on the second series dvd to see if i can fathom it out yet!

thats a very good film - dennis hopper is awesome in it.

i just watched Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, weird but good. need to get my hands on the second series dvd to see if i can fathom it out yet!

Good luck! It's never been released in the UK, you'll need to it order from the States and hae a mutli-region DVD player, (or just torrent it).

Good luck! It's never been released in the UK, you'll need to it order from the States and hae a mutli-region DVD player, (or just torrent it).

Twin Peaks Complete Season 2 - 6 Disc Boxset DVD

Might be dodgy though.

There is a cracking R1 box set with both seasons in nice gold packaging. It's the one to get!

Or if you only want season 2.... R1:

Play.com (UK) : Twin Peaks: Season 2 (6 Discs) (Region 1 DVD) : DVD - Free Delivery

The pilot episode' date=' first shown on TV in the US, was released on home video in Europe in 1989. The European version is 20 minutes longer than the TV pilot, with a different ending added to bring closure to the story. The Red Room dream sequence that ends episode two, where Cooper encounters the Man from Another Place and Laura Palmer, was originally shot for this film. Lynch was so happy with the material that he incorporated part of it into the second episode of the regular series (that is, the third episode shown in the U.S., including the pilot) as a dream Cooper has about the case (at the start of episode three, Cooper gives a scene-by-scene account of the European ending, including references to events seen only in the international pilot and not the dream-sequence version, such as MIKE shooting BOB). This version of the pilot was also offered by Warner Home Video in the United States, resulting in a rights-entanglement which prevented the broadcast version of the pilot being released for a number of years.

On October 30, 2007, the broadcast version of the pilot finally received a legitimate U.S. release as part of the Twin Peaks "Definitive Gold Box Edition". This set includes both versions of the pilot.[23'] The Gold Box set also includes all episodes from both seasons, deleted scenes for both seasons, and a feature-length retrospective documentary. No date as yet has been announced for a U.K. release. The set was also released in most of Europe Region 2 (not including UK).[24]

On December 18, 2001, the first season (episodes 1-7, minus the pilot) of Twin Peaks was released on DVD in Region 1 by Republic Pictures, which had an output deal through Artisan Entertainment, now part of Lions Gate Entertainment. The box set was noted for being the first TV show to have its audio track redone in DTS. The region 1 release was heavily criticized for not including the key pilot episode, which could not be included due to the fact Lynch sold the rights to it to Warner Home Video in order to facilitate its video release in Europe. When the series was released on video in the US (twice by Spelling Entertainment's Worldvision Home Video), the pilot episode was excluded both times. In turn, Warner Home Video released the pilot on video however, it was actually the European version, and was labelled as having "bonus footage". The televised pilot episode is included in the UK (region 2) DVD release from Universal Home Entertainment. A DVD collection of Season One was released in Australia by Paramount Pictures, in 2001. In 2006, Season 2 was released by the same distributor in two parts (Collections 1 and 2). In addition, the entire series was released in Australia in a box set collector's edition.

The first season DVD box set is known to have production errors, which cause many DVD players to freeze. One known track glitch occurs during the opening credits of episode 2. Another glitch occurs fifteen minutes into episode 4, during Donna and Audrey's scene in the girls' high school restroom. The European DVD box set of season two has an audio flaw where in episode 12, the center and right channels have been flip-flopped. The release of Season Two was complicated by the sale of Spelling Entertainment (which included both Republic Pictures, and the predecessor company, Worldvision Enterprises, the series' former distributor) - and later the transition of video rights - to Paramount/Viacom in 1998; and the 2006 split of Viacom into two separate companies this saw the rights go to CBS Corporation/CBS Studios. Also, Lynch oversaw the transfer from video to DVD personally, but was delayed by the production of his new film, Inland Empire.

The first season was released on DVD by Artisan Entertainment, the video licensee for Republic, but Artisan/Lions Gate's rights expired in September 2005, and thus were transferred to Paramount. As a result of the 2006 corporate split of CBS and Viacom, CBS Studios (which ended up with Republic Pictures' and Spelling Entertainment's TV holdings) now owns the rights to the Twin Peaks series, with CBS Television Distribution handling syndication, and CBS Home Entertainment owning the DVD rights (although CBSHE releases are distributed by Paramount). The second season release was postponed several times, from September 2004, to early 2005, and then to September 2005, to early 2006. Season Two was finally released in the United States and Canada on April 3, 2007 via Paramount Home Entertainment/CBS DVD, which now acts as home video distributor. In Germany, Season 2 was released in two parts on separate dates in April 2007. Part 1 went on general release on January 4, 2007, including the "broadcast" version of the pilot episode. North American rights to the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me film are owned by New Line Cinema, a division of Time Warner (which also owns Warner Bros.), and is available on video and DVD through New Line. In Canada, the DVD was distributed through Alliance Atlantis, which holds all Canadian rights to the New Line library.

That clears that up then. ?(

That's more confusing than the plot!