aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Mean Girls - Don't care what anyone says, this is a great film. One of my guiltiest pleasures, I've seen it heaps of times. It's like a bubblegum version of Heathers with better looking girls.

Thumbs UP

On the surface, this should be a guilty pleasure but Tina Fey of SNL, 30 Rock and Sarah Palin fame wrote the screenplay so it's not that surprising that it's good. I was recommended it by my 6 foot 6 man mountain ex flatmate and couldn't stop laughing when he came through holding the DVD and started raving about it.

Continuing the Tina Fey chat, Baby Mama is pretty good. Not overly schmaltzy and has some belly laugh moments.

Land of the lost 2009

Watched it after a string of x5 12hour nightshifts made me have a wee giggle now and again...Will ferrel anna friel and some other bloke go on an adventure through time.

Then watched Angels and Demons thought it was ok'ish...I thought the davinci code was better though....

Frost/Nixon is on my LoveFilm list, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I can never remember if I mentioned it on here or not but I recently watched Brick. I absolutely loved it. Anyone else seen it/liked it/hated it?

Also, in terms of being insubstantial and trashy but unbelievably entertaining, you can't beat Drag Me To Hell.

Frost/Nixon is on my LoveFilm list, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I can never remember if I mentioned it on here or not but I recently watched Brick. I absolutely loved it. Anyone else seen it/liked it/hated it?

Also, in terms of being insubstantial and trashy but unbelievably entertaining, you can't beat Drag Me To Hell.

Brick is an ace film. I like the concept of "hard-boiled" dialogue but with young actors in a school setting. I like really like noir as a genre though so it was gonna tick most of the boxes anyway :)

Brick is an ace film. I like the concept of "hard-boiled" dialogue but with young actors in a school setting. I like really like noir as a genre though so it was gonna tick most of the boxes anyway :)

Yeah, I thought it sounded great in principle (bought it for 2 in Fopp Glasgow on a whim having not seen it before) but thought the concept had the potential to go either way. Fortunately, the whole hard-boiled dialogue thing is handled with so much authenticity that it couldn't fail. Great watch :up:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

It was mostly bollocks. Too much human-based plot - it's almost like the robots are an after-thought for Shia La Boeuf's relationship with Megan Fox, his relationship with his parents (especially his "comedic" highly-strung mother), his going to college blah blah blah don't care. I want to see giant robots doing cool stuff. Which is awesome when it does happen - the scrap in the woods between Prime and a bunch of Decepticons is fucking ace. Overall it's pish.

But hey - why not come to Transformers: The Pub Quiz at the Bassment on Monday anyway!?

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

It was mostly bollocks. Too much human-based plot - it's almost like the robots are an after-thought for Shia La Boeuf's relationship with Megan Fox, his relationship with his parents (especially his "comedic" highly-strung mother), his going to college blah blah blah don't care. I want to see giant robots doing cool stuff. Which is awesome when it does happen - the scrap in the woods between Prime and a bunch of Decepticons is fucking ace. Overall it's pish.

Agreed, I thought it was pretty pish overall.

Devastator was horseshit (along with virtually all the other 'new' transformers).

Jetfire was rubbish and had a weird english accent which I found cringeworthy.

And as for the twin autobot things....?!?!?! fit? Utter shite.

Good fights scenes though, and Prime is still the man. Bumblebee was pretty damned good too in this one.

Grumble, grumble, grumble......

EDIT: Megan Fox is pretty hot.

I thought Brick was OK, I liked the concept of the teenagers doing the film noir thing and in that respect it was good and different, but I thought it dragged a wee bit, I kinda lost interest a bit by the end. Though I have the attention span of a hyperactive gerbil.

Yeah, I thought the idea was great, but the film didn't really live up to it. I mean it was OK, but not great and I wouldn't sit through it again.

Agreed, I thought it was pretty pish overall.

Devastator was horseshit (along with virtually all the other 'new' transformers).

Jetfire was rubbish and had a weird english accent which I found cringeworthy.

And as for the twin autobot things....?!?!?! fit? Utter shite.

Good fights scenes though, and Prime is still the man. Bumblebee was pretty damned good too in this one.

Grumble, grumble, grumble......

EDIT: Megan Fox is pretty hot.

I saw this last night.

I went in expecting it to be shite but it wasn't quite that bad. I hated the first film but because it's Transformers I decided to give it another go.

The twin cars were, in my opinion, a bit racist (actually a huge bit racist) and were given far roo much screen time.

The fightscenes made up for a lot of the films shortcomings.

My favourite bit was that Soundwave had the proper voice. For some reason he was always my favourite.

I Am Legend: was quite skeptical about this but ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Will Smith did a pretty fine job of holding his own through the first hour of the film as the only character. A couple of gratuitous action scenes thrown in to keep the masses amused. Details on why some people are immune aren't given, which pissed me off. Trying to squeeze in the Omega Man this week as a comparison, but this is definitely worth a watch. 7/10

Ghost Rider: just no. I always wonder why established actors like Cage agree to such shite, over substantial roles, surely he doesn't need the cash!?!? The whole concept is crap, even by 'comic adaptation' standards and the only redeeming feature is Eva Mendez. The CGI is ok, but a flaming skeleton walking around pointing at people like Hulk Hogan will always look ridiculous. Barely watchable. 2/10

Ghost Rider: just no. I always wonder why established actors like Cage agree to such shite, over substantial roles, surely he doesn't need the cash!?!? The whole concept is crap, even by 'comic adaptation' standards and the only redeeming feature is Eva Mendez. The CGI is ok, but a flaming skeleton walking around pointing at people like Hulk Hogan will always look ridiculous. Barely watchable. 2/10

Agreed, that was fucking shit. The reason Cage did it is that he is a huge fan of the comics, he's even got a Ghost Rider tattoo. He actualyl contacted THEM to ask if he could do the film, and excitedly signed on before they had even written a script. He must have regretted it when he finally got to read it.... He's speaking about doing a sequel as well.

Agreed, that was fucking shit. The reason Cage did it is that he is a huge fan of the comics, he's even got a Ghost Rider tattoo. He actualyl contacted THEM to ask if he could do the film, and excitedly signed on before they had even written a script. He must have regretted it when he finally got to read it.... He's speaking about doing a sequel as well.

I'm a big fan of Nicolas Cage but I struggle to recall the last film he did that I've seen and thought was any good....I've actually stopped hiring them as they appear, 'The Wicker Man' and 'Next' were both pretty awful. I actually think of 'Ghost Rider' as being OK in comparison....

I'm a big fan of Nicolas Cage but I struggle to recall the last film he did that I've seen and thought was any good....I've actually stopped hiring them as they appear, 'The Wicker Man' and 'Next' were both pretty awful. I actually think of 'Ghost Rider' as being OK in comparison....

He's done some right crap, but I liked Face/Off, and Matchstick Men.