aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

It's more to do with not really being that bothered about the difference in resolution to begin with. Things look fine to me through the Xbox. I don't need to spend 100 on a player, and then replace all my favourite DVD's with Blu Rays. Its not for me. I just pointed out that they do look pretty good, and it'd be decent to have one. Then you seemed to burst into flames.

It's more to do with not really being that bothered about the difference in resolution to begin with. Things look fine to me through the Xbox. I don't need to spend 100 on a player, and then replace all my favourite DVD's with Blu Rays. Its not for me. I just pointed out that they do look pretty good, and it'd be decent to have one. Then you seemed to burst into flames.

It was more the discs being too expensive nugget of information that you popped up with. Like i said, you don't have to replace anything you have on DVD.

Anyway, i understand you might not be interested but if you had to listen to ill informed people spouting absolute balldust at you every day for a living you might understand where i'm coming from. There's no end to the amount of instant experts in the UK it would seem.

ooh imax coming to cineworld Very soon!! Roll on September (think thats when the new cinema is open)....walking distance from mine too!!
Saturday I went down to the club floor, which was great, specially for a TITP weekend, mobbed. Music from what I remember was pretty decent anda good mix of people, will be going again (only a stones throw away from mine too which is a bonus)
Keep going. Eventually I'll be able to triangulate the perfect position to sit and watch you get undressed through your window at night.
  • Upvote 1

Keep going. Eventually I'll be able to triangulate the perfect position to sit and watch you get undressed through your window at night.

The Hayloft. That way you can perv AND have a pint. Plus you might see me there (for the record, I'll just be having a pint, not perving on anyone).

Brno Oh God, no I can't watch... oh fuck I did. I saw that and it'll never leave my mind now. What now. Is he going to be murdered?? Oh no. NO! Please god let that have been staged... this film is 80 minutes of wrong and some of it's very funny wrong. It still felt padded and it's not a patch on Borat but having seen the trailers for most of this summer's pishy comedies now, I think I made the right choice.

There's no settling down needed, you just seem a little ill-informed.You don't need to "switch between devices" as all Blu Ray players are backwards compatible with DVD (meaning you don't have to replace anything). You can pick up a Sharp Blu Ray player for 99 in HMV just now and High Street prices are always more expensive for everything. A new release DVD is 13 these days (fair enough that usually drops to about 7 after a couple of months). On casually browsing in ASDA and Tesco recently there is very little Blu Ray-wise that costs over 15. Most people buy films from supermarkets or from sites on the internet these days anyway. Even HMV has a good few Blu Rays under 10.

It's not slightly better resolution either, i suggest you have a look at the mathematics involved if you think it's just "slightly" better, or better yet go and have a look at a comparison between the two.

Can you get Multi-region Bluray players easily? ?(

Can you get Multi-region Bluray players easily? ?(

Not super-easily, but you can get them. I think some of the lesser known brands may be Multi-Region but as it's not legal to advertise a product as Multi-Region in this country (bit of a grey area) it may take a little bit of internet searching to find out. Be careful though as it's not a given that because it's Multi-Region for Blu Ray it may not be Multi-Region for DVD... (I think some of the Panasonic ones are good bets but i can't recall how they're done).

You can make some of the bigger brands players Multi-Region using special remotes but if it's just to play the odd US DVD then i would be inclined to say that it may be worth looking to see if they are available on Blu Ray as they would be a worthy upgrade. There are a lot of common titles out on Blu Ray.

These days importing from the states is no cheaper really and a lot of Blu discs are Multi-Region themselves (though i have noticed the studios moving towards region coding). You can easily find lists of what titles are Multi-Region on the net as well.

Not super-easily, but you can get them. I think some of the lesser known brands may be Multi-Region but as it's not legal to advertise a product as Multi-Region in this country (bit of a grey area) it may take a little bit of internet searching to find out. Be careful though as it's not a given that because it's Multi-Region for Blu Ray it may not be Multi-Region for DVD... (I think some of the Panasonic ones are good bets but i can't recall how they're done).

You can make some of the bigger brands players Multi-Region using special remotes but if it's just to play the odd US DVD then i would be inclined to say that it may be worth looking to see if they are available on Blu Ray as they would be a worthy upgrade. There are a lot of common titles out on Blu Ray.

These days importing from the states is no cheaper really and a lot of Blu discs are Multi-Region themselves (though i have noticed the studios moving towards region coding). You can easily find lists of what titles are Multi-Region on the net as well.

It's more because I have a lot of DVD's from various regions at the moment, due to desire to obtain uncut versions of movies, sheer unavailability in this country or because they were indeed cheaper. You can quite often pick up Region 1 variants on Amazon far cheaper than Region 2.

So basically if I were to upgrade it would be preferable to have something that could handle multi-region DVD's as well as Blu-ray.

Cheers for the info anyway, i'll do some digging....

It's more because I have a lot of DVD's from various regions at the moment, due to desire to obtain uncut versions of movies, sheer unavailability in this country or because they were indeed cheaper. You can quite often pick up Region 1 variants on Amazon far cheaper than Region 2.

So basically if I were to upgrade it would be preferable to have something that could handle multi-region DVD's as well as Blu-ray.

Cheers for the info anyway, i'll do some digging....

Yeah, if you've got lot's of DVDs like that it would be a good idea.

No probs.

DVD up scaling to 1080p on the xbox360 is hardly pish. I watch DVDs at a mate's house on his beast of a Bravia and they look pretty much the same as on my 720p Viera at home. Perhaps the moral of the story should be don't buy a big fuckoff HDTV unless your living space supports the minimum viewing distance?

DVD up scaling to 1080p on the xbox360 is hardly pish. I watch DVDs at a mate's house on his beast of a Bravia and they look pretty much the same as on my 720p Viera at home. Perhaps the moral of the story should be don't buy a big fuckoff HDTV unless your living space supports the minimum viewing distance?

It is very much dependant on how your TV handles it, some are a lot better than others and it is a lot worse than watching 1080p source material. I would wager though if you set up both TVs side by side (not that you're likely to want to do that of course) it would look a lot better on the 720p set. As it happens though, Sony TVs usually have the best SD pictures due to some of the other technology that's going on in the TV as well.

Agree 100% with what you say about viewing distance on SD/Upscaled material though. You'd be surprised at some of the stupid things i've seen size-wise in people's houses.

crikey i watched a film called 'city rats' this morning with danny dyer and the bloke who played ronny ferreria in eastenders. the reviews on the love film website all slagged it off with good reason - it was beyond boring!

I watched The Abducted(UK title) or Match.Dead(US) - it was one of the biggest piles of piss I have watched in a long time. As I thought it was called abducted, it wasn't very clear that it was about on-line dating. Some guy has some sort of property in some US desert and has a girl captive. Flashbacks to her childhood is the only other thing that goes on apart from him killing people and things willy nilly if they come on his land. BORING!

Thumbs majorly down!!