aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I watched "The Wrestler" last night. It was good but not amazing. After all the hype I'd read about it (being a huge wrestling fan, the wrestling forums were full of "this is the best movie ever made" kinda chat) I guess I was always going to be disappointed. It was definitely not a 5-star classic, but still a good film. Mickey Rourke played his part well, and the supporting cast were all pretty good. It had a real miserable, depressing tone to it of a former superstar just at his absolute lowest ebb and putting himself through things that his body can't handle any more simply because he has to do it to make money, and he's hooked on the roar of the crowd, even if it's in a high school gym and not Madison Square Gardens.

The bit I was most disappointed in was the ending

I get the whole did he live / did he die thing that's supposed to keep you guessing but it just felt to me like a massive cop-out. They'd showed him losing his job, having a heart attack, fucking up his relationship with his daughter etc. and then he went and had his last big match - however after this match, he's still going to be broke and not have a job and he still isn't going to be able to wrestle again. It was as if the script-writers had painted themselves into a corner with it, knowing that the big match where they ended the story wouldn't actually be the end of the story, not even close, so they just took the easy option of ending it the way they did. I mean if he died, just show us that he died! At least it will end the story. The ending was shit.

I'm changing my Thumbs up / thumbs down rating system to a star rating. So I give The Wrestler:

I love this film.

I know what you mean about the ending but I felt it was there best option.

The only other option to give it a realistic ending which sadly would have meant Larry being found dead in his car from heart failure or overdosing on pain medication. Which for a while was actually happening quite a lot in the wrestling world.

I don't think they could have ended the movie on a downer like that.

I love this film.

I know what you mean about the ending but I felt it was there best option.

The only other option to give it a realistic ending which sadly would have meant Larry being found dead in his car from heart failure or overdosing on pain medication. Which for a while was actually happening quite a lot in the wrestling world.

I don't think they could have ended the movie on a downer like that.

They could have had Chris Benoit come in, strangle him with a dressing gown cord, put a bible next to his head and then hang himself from a weights machine.

I'm just saying is all.

How The Wrestler should have ended

How The Wrestler should have ended:

I thought they should have just showed him dying. Then showed Pam bawling like a little bitch, his daughter turning up at the funeral and bawling like a little bitch, and then one of the big wrestling companies (WWE-esque) having a Randy The Ram tribute night, with the Ayatollah making an appearance and some of his other friends and foes speaking about how great he was. And thousands of people showing their appreciation, and the film ends with him getting the huge massive roar that he craved so much.... not a dry eye in the house.

I should be fucking writing movies.

I watched "Dead Snow" the other night. An okay pastiche Zombie B Movie. A fair bit of "Shaun of the Dead" going on in it. Not essential.

Tried re-watching Blair Witch. Did not strike up my interest at all and got turned off.

I've "On the Beach" with Gregory Peck and "The Life Aquatic" to look forward to this weekend.

The Life Aquatic is amazing.

Persepolis: animation following an Iranian girl growing up in Teheran and Austria. Although the obvious attraction to this film is its amazing aesthetics - and from the start to finish it looks amazing - its easy to forget that the actual story is so strong. Above this the film is quite informative, giving a good background of the modern history of Iran, yet there are so many funny bits to balance out the tragedies and shocks. Ive not seen anything like this, and was mesmerised for the full 90 minutes. Id suggest watching this with the French audio and subtitles (unless you wont be affected by Sean Penn and Iggy Pop doing the English audio WTF?!?!?) Would recommend this to most people. Score: 8/10

Revenge of the Nerds: to minutes in it was obvious that this film wasnt going to be the barrel of laughs it looked like. The geeky laughing was about the only thing I found funny, and the rest of the film hasnt aged well at all. It was probably good at the time, but is almost embarrassing now. The tags on this post tell more about the film than any paragraph could. Score 4/10

Hana-Bi: a film of two halves really. First half sets up the backdrop for the second, but because all of the action and drama had happened at the start I was restless after the hour mark. Long shots, minimal style, bare dialogue contrasting with the graphic violence and slapstick comedy moments. Very little happens, but the bodycounts impressive! Overall, not as good as other similar films hes done (Violent Cop / Sonatine) or starred in (Gonin), but worth watching if you like. Score: 6/10

The Life Aquatic is amazing.

I can't wait to see it again. An old friend moved country and took my copy with him so I've finally forked out for another. I really can't wait. Hope it's as entertaining as I remember.

@Del - I thought Sunshine was an utterly breathtaking film right up until the end when they went down the Event Horizon road. Apart from that, stunning to watch and listen to. Would benefit hugely from a good home speaker set up.

Bronson "Stylised" biopic of "Britain's most violent prisoner". Why anyone would want to make a fillum about a complete and utter waste of skin like this guy, is totally beyond me. The movie consists of him shouting "Come on then you faaaaakin caaaaaahnts, let's 'ave it" to the screws, fighting with them, then lying around drugged in a straightjacket whilst the director tries to give the movie some gravitas with the use of classical music. Utter gash 1/10

Gran Torino The Clintsters swan song? Not a bad movie at all, like a gerietraic Death Wish in parts. 7/10

I watched TMNT last night. I was initially startled at the look of the film, I knew it was all CGI, but it was very cartoony, exaggerated CGI, like Ratatouille, or The Incredibles and I expected it to look more realistic (yes I realised that 6 foot talking turtles isn't very realistic but you know what I mean). However I soon got used to it. It was quite strange also in that I was expecting a "reboot", complete with character history etc and a whole new story arc beginning. however it plays like a sequel of the three live action movies - Shredder is dead and the Turtles are retired, and it's straight into the story with no backstory at all.

The main problems with this film are threefold:

1 - The tone of it is all over the place. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be cartoony and kiddy friendly, or dark and gothic and aimed at a more mature audience, and it ends up straddling both and jumping between the two, which gives it a rather uneven feel.

2 - The plot is a bit contrived and borrows heavily from The Mummy movies - it's not very "classic Turtles". Basically this warlord guy 3000 years in the past opens a gateway to another dimension, which grants him immortailty but turns his army to stone. It also releases 13 other worldly demons onto Earth. Cut to 3,000 years later and the guy is sick of being immortal and is trying to capture the 13 creatures (which have been walking the Earth unnoticed for 3,000 years) so he can send them back to their hell dimension and he can finally die. The army who were turned to stone (who can still walk and talk etc.) are trying to stop him from rounding up the monsters cos then they will die as well. Cue the Turtles reuniting to kick some monster and stone ass. Dimensions portals, ancient artifacts and stuff just doesn't feel very Turtles-y.

3 - The comedy bits, quips and gags that made the original series (and films) such a success fall a bit flat, because they just aren't very funny. Michaelangelo has a few decent lines but it's really really short of laughs.

In saying that, it's not a bad film. The fighting scenes are cool (although there really aren't many) and the voice talent really shines. It just feels like an extended version of a TV show. They really should have gone all out for the movie, and shown all the classic Turtle stuff (they don't even mention pizza once!). It's like they concentrated too hard on the look and not enough on the plot and the script. It really misses the snappy dialogue of the earlier Turtles stuff.

Sequel due next year - must try harder.

** 1/2

Bronson "Stylised" biopic of "Britain's most violent prisoner". Why anyone would want to make a fillum about a complete and utter waste of skin like this guy, is totally beyond me. The movie consists of him shouting "Come on then you faaaaakin caaaaaahnts, let's 'ave it" to the screws, fighting with them, then lying around drugged in a straightjacket whilst the director tries to give the movie some gravitas with the use of classical music. Utter gash 1/10

Haven't seen it, but know lots of folks that raved about it being amazing, up there with 'Chopper'....

Haven't seen it, but know lots of folks that raved about it being amazing, up there with 'Chopper'....

Nope, it's gash - and I'm pretty open-minded. You learn very little about about Bronson in what's basically directorial and production wankery. It's an exercise in style over substance. I reckon the director must be a Donald Cammell/Nic Roeg fanboy. At least their movies were interesting. Charlie Bronson, for all the reputation and violence just isn't interesting a character in this movie.

Chopper, on the other hand is indeed "amazing" and Eric Bana does fantastic job in the lead. The movie is both shocking and hilarious and is studded with immortal dialogue.

My favourite - "Why would I shoot a bloke BANG, then drive him in the bloody car and whizz him off to the hospital at a hundred miles an hour? It defeats the purpose of having shot him in the first place"

Bart Gets a Room

Had never heard of this but took a chance on it on the basis that it has William H Macy in it. It's a fun little coming of age film about a dude who is desperate to get a date for the prom. His parents have recently split up, with Macy as his Dad who is desperate to pick up chicks and Larry David's wife out of Curb Your Enthusiasm as his mum who is desperate to get married again to have financial security.

It's a really fun little film, none of the usual "gross out" stuff a la American Pie that you normally get from this genre these days, and best of all, it only lasted 80 minutes. If this was a Judd Apatow film he would have somehow padded it out to two hours.

So all in all a "thumbs up" from Bigsby. :up:

Bart Got a Room (2008)

I saw the new Harry Potter film and it was fucking ace. Granted I've read all the books etc, it would be easy to get lost if you haven't but if you have it's the bollocks. Some really nice cinematography in it as well, nothing like the other films that were just geared to turn the books into summer blockbusters. Some of the effects were amazing. Especially the looking into the pencieve, that was visually stunning.

Book is still better because of how much the film misses out, but if you do like the books this one is great. :up:

Milk Been meaning to watch this for a while, and I wasn't disappointed. Great performance from Sean Penn in the title role. I was disappointed when Mickey Rourke lost out on the best actor Oscar, but having now seen Milk, it was probably the correct decision.

Excellent realistic 70s feel to the way it was shot as well, and made good use of vintage news footage.

Gets a thumbs up from Bigsby. :up: