aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I have Y tu mama tambien to wacth tomorrow :)

Sexy film, definitely one of Bernal and Luna's best films.

No Country for Old Men: Javier Bardem stole the show for me as a believably chilling psychopath, although Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones both nailed their characters with conviction. The story's brilliant, and has the trademark Coen brothers look, feel and occasional black comedy moments. There's also a couple few scenes where the suspense is unbearable, something that's hard to pull off. Set in 1980, it says a lot about the new-age crime, criminals and violence at the time and how traditional police struggle to solve, or even understand it. The last 30 minutes are quite weak, and the loose ends will annoy some people. Top-drawer film that it well worth watching. Score: 8/10

The Reader: coming-of-age story of one man's lifelong obsession with a book-loving dyslexic nazi lesbian paedophile war-criminal. Loads of ethical questions raised about the Holocaust and the guilt of Germany's next generation. Kross Fiennes, and Winslet all acted well, but the latter two had weak German accents (Vy do oll jermens tolk like zeis?). In General, I always think it's quite off how big studios think that UK/US actors with slight accents dupe audiences into believing the film is set there. You can tell it's a well-made film, but it's definitely one for the girls as it's essentially a drawn-out, banal love story. Score: 4/10

Eastern Promises: the fact that an 'everywoman' nurse and her plain old family are part of the main cast I thought this film was going to be a at least a bit realistic... but when thing like the sci-fi violence hits the screen it's comically out-of-place. At least there's a shower scene you'll never forget. Also, why cast French, American, German and British actors to play Eastern Europeans? Vincent Cassel... the most quintessential french bit-part actor... a Russian?!?! Overall, I was pretty disappointed that the guy who brought us sci-fi classics like Videodrome, the Scanners, Dead Zone has ended up going down the road of mundane Steven King type thrillers. Loads of plot holes and just couldn't take it seriously. Score: 3/10

Loads more reviews here

Sexy film, definitely one of Bernal and Luna's best films.

No Country for Old Men: Javier Bardem stole the show for me as a believably chilling psychopath, although Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones both nailed their characters with conviction. The story's brilliant, and has the trademark Coen brothers look, feel and occasional black comedy moments. There's also a couple few scenes where the suspense is unbearable, something that's hard to pull off. Set in 1980, it says a lot about the new-age crime, criminals and violence at the time and how traditional police struggle to solve, or even understand it. The last 30 minutes are quite weak, and the loose ends will annoy some people. Top-drawer film that it well worth watching. Score: 8/10

Eastern Promises: the fact that an 'everywoman' nurse and her plain old family are part of the main cast I thought this film was going to be a at least a bit realistic... but when thing like the sci-fi violence hits the screen it's comically out-of-place. At least there's a shower scene you'll never forget. Also, why cast French, American, German and British actors to play Eastern Europeans? Vincent Cassel... the most quintessential french bit-part actor... a Russian?!?! Overall, I was pretty disappointed that the guy who brought us sci-fi classics like Videodrome, the Scanners, Dead Zone has ended up going down the road of mundane Steven King type thrillers. Loads of plot holes and just couldn't take it seriously. Score: 3/10

Loads more reviews here

Yeah id say both these thoughts on the films are fair i did feel a bit un fullfilled in the last couple of acts of NCFOM and had to rewatch a bit to make sure i got the gist so to speak. Eastern Promises was entertaining enough. I take your point on not being able to employ some descent Russian actors. Furthermore if they had just slowed down the pace in regards to showing the ins and outs of Russian mafia in London. That could of helped. However id say V Cassel has in truth been in the past more than a bit-part actor; He was great in La Haine and very young to boot .Also in Irreversible he was pretty damn good.

Ach it's as I said, you either like Argento or not, I don't think it's possible to have a middle ground really.

I'm not getting the reference to sci-fi violence in 'Eastern Promises', as far as I recall it was all pretty gritty, realistic and brutal. And I don't really understand the complaints about a Frenchman playing a Russian either, since when does a film have to have actors playing their actual nationality?.I thought it was good anyway, Viggo Mortenson being typically great. Looking forward to 'The Road'

I had on 'Watchmen' last night, thought it was pretty decent, looked really good and for a film that is trying to squeeze such extensive source material into 2.5 hours they did very well IMO. I'm actually glad previous efforts to adapt it fell through as I think it could only have been made with the most recent effects. The scenes on Mars were amazing. Not sure why they changed the ending to be honest, although the result was the same I guess. 9/10.

I watched Zodiac the other night.

It was as entertaining as it was informative. It was nice to see Fincher going in a different direction (he did Seven). Enjoyed it a lot but felt it was more of a Sunday afternoon film than a Saturday night one. 4/5

I really enjoyed Zodiac, liked the whole pre-email/internet type investagtion back to old methods etc so much harder in those days!

Did you see that somebody's come forward and said that their father confessed on his deathbed to being the Zodiac killer?

Crime Scene : This is Zodiac speaking. No, this is Zodiac speaking

I'm highly sceptical unless the handwriting or DNA found on the letter matches, and they'd probably have to exhume the corpse for that.

Not to mention that every fame hungry whackjob will claim daddy done it.

It was my father. LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT A KNIFE.

Just thought it was a bit arty and pretentious, but I don't want to write him off on the strength of one film.

Can you recommend some of his other films? Cheers in advance.

:up:

Suspiria is definitely more about general atmosphere, music and visuals than story. Which is the case for much of his output. Plot tends to come second to inventive death scenes and unusual camera work.

Before writing him off totally would definitely check out -

Deep Red (AKA Profondo Rosso) - starring David Hemmings.

Tenebrae

Opera

Bird With the Crystal Plumage

Then if you are still feeling up to it I would try -

Inferno

Phenomena

Sleepless

Trauma

These are probably only of interest if you found anything worthwhile in the first list. If you are generally hating the films I would give up as 'just not your thing!'.

• Upvote 1

recently watched...

In the Loop : Awesome from start to finish. Basically a feature length version of The Thick of it with the addition of American politics. The best use of swearing in any film ever and Steve Coogan at his funniest in years. Probably my favourite film of the year. The script is littered with so many jokes and throwaway lines that I'm gonna watch it over and over.

Bruno : Can't watch that kind of squeemish humour but I respect what he's doing. The bits where I could bare to take my hands away from my eyes were funny. 'Puffy vatter?, Wilhelm Schmitt?' - that bit had me creased over laughing.

Blow : Hadn't seen it before. Confirmation of how good an actor Jonny Depp is. He carries this film the whole way through. Led me to think about how good a Howard Marks biopic would be. All done with proper good British actors. Get it done Film four or Ealing or whoever!

That's one of my favourite films! A nice little appearance of Rise Against mid way through in the club as well, which is awesome because they're one of my favourite bands!

ahem....

I remember that not being too bad, however Rise Against's cover of Nervous Breakdown was fucking terrible. Mainly cos of the vocals.

Watched Y Tu Mama Tambien last night, what a raunchy, sad yet funny, bizarre film - Altho only 3 years prior to Motorcycle diaries, Gael Garcia Barnal looks well young....it's mean to be the two youngster on a road trip with an older woman....funny to think Ana Lpez Mercado 3 years younger than Gael :) ...he is now my desktop on my pc ;)

Led me to think about how good a Howard Marks biopic would be. All done with proper good British actors. Get it done Film four or Ealing or whoever!

I'm pretty sure I read recently that something is planned along these lines, with Rhys Ifans in the lead. Unless I'm inventing it in my head.

I really hate the whole Howard Marks phenomenon.