aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Godzilla

Closer in spirit to the original Toho series than thon awful 1998 pishathon, with superb special effects, decent acting and most importantly, NO stupid comedy characters (are you watching Pacifc Rim?). Quite a few surprises as well. Go see the 3D version and DON'T read any blurb beforehand. 8.5/10

Se7en

Best serial killer movie ever. That is all. 10/10

My Week With Marilyn - a young English chap gets his first job on the set of a movie where he meets its star Marilyn Monroe, at the height of her personal problems, and they have a brief fling. Based on a true story apparently. I really liked this but my girlfriend didn't at all. Michelle Williams plays Marilyn and gives a great performance, when she's happy and smiling she nails all her little girlish giggles and coyness and makes her seem absolutely captivating, but she portrays the darker side of her just as well, her self doubt on set and her drug addiction off the set. Kenneth Branagh camps it up a bit as her co-star and nemesis Laurence Olivier and almost steals the show, and Judi Dench is excellent as ever. The story zips along pretty well and the film looks really pretty too. Not the kind of film I usually like but I thought it was affa good.

Folk at my work having been bigging up Olympus Has Fallen, I heard that it was pish. What to believe!?

It is pish, but it's quite ridiculously over the top, takes itself too seriously pish. So as long as you go into it knowing that then it can be quite enjoyable.  White House Down was the better of the recent White House terrorist films.

The Monuments Men

Meh, I thought it'd be a bit giggle-worthy as Bill Murray is in it and I hadn't read what it was about before watching, but nope.  It was a bit 'Murica! with a 40's feel to it.

It managed to be pretty slow, but rushed in some parts, and just a let down really.  A pretty dull war movie.

Alter Egos

In a world where superheroes are commonplace, but there are no super villains left for them to battle, the heros are becoming downtrodden and hated by the public. Set against this backdrop, Fridge is having some relationship problems. And some other shit goes down. Don't want to say any more as it starts to creep into spoiler territory. Hyde from That 70's show is in it. Fucking amazing. One of the best 'indie' films I've ever seen. Watch it. Even though IMDB only gives it like a 6?

9/10

Safety Not Guaranteed

April from Parks and Rec and Nick from New Girl work for a newspaper and see an article from some lunatic who thinks he can time travel, so they go to meet him and write a puff piece about him. I loved this, too. But Nick doesn't shout enough. He's funniest when he shouts.

8/10

World's Greatest Dad

Robin Williams' kid dies having a chokey wank, so Williams writes a suicide note and covers up the true nature of his death. Williams then finds that the suicide note he wrote touches the lives of many kids at his son's school and he's swept up in a wave of fame. Really touching, some LOLs, some un-LOLs. Brilliant. It's also really cool to see Robin Williams play a normal guy who isn't.. Robin Williams-ed.

10/10

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

MN_poster_PRINT_Final_low.jpg

Oh, that's bigger than expected. That is literally what she said.

My sister was watching episodes of the Mortified Sessions online and recommended them to me as there's a Megan Mullally/Nick Offerman episode and a Cranston one. So I went off in search of it, thinking that they were on Netflix and ended up watching the above instead. I think the TV show came before the documentary that I ended up watching but they're by the same people.

Basically, about ten years ago, a couple of guys put on these comedy nights where people would get onstage and read out their childhood diaries. I think it started as just some friends, but the more times they did it, the bigger the nights became and eventually it snowballed and different people all over America started putting on these 'Mortified' nights. Each of the performers had to audition so it wasn't any old boring Joe reading out things they thought were funny and there was actually some quality control. The documentary is made up of live footage and interviews with the performers and people behind the Mortified nights. There are bits that are hilarious, but mostly it's just really sweet and life-affirming. It's on Netflix, well worth a watch for a chuckle.

• Upvote 1

Pain and Gain

Mark Whalberg, The Rock and some other guy are a bunch of body builders who think they deserve better. So they hatch a scheme to kidnap a rich client and force him to sign over all his money.  Sadly for everyone involved they're all fucking idiots so it goes wrong and the whole thing escalates.

It's directed by Michael Bay so everything looks sharp but can't help feeling it's half an hour too long, most of that in the first half. Once it gets going it's pretty decent with most of the laughs and the sympathy going in Dwayne Johnson's direction. Seriously, can we just have The Rock in every film from now on?  Guaran-damn-tee'd success. He gets almost all the fun in the film from the site of him looking fucking huge and carrying around an 80s style skateboard, or as a jesus loving nice guy to coke addled psycho knocking stuff over and threatening the white collar neighbours. Also LOL'd at Whalberg's happy face on top of the ride on lawnmower.

Was surprised that unusually for a film claiming to be a true story, this was a true story. Though sadly The Rock's character was more of an amalgamation of gang members with some poetic licence thrown in.

Chris, I have no idea from that review whether I should watch that film or not.  :laughing:

Sorry I shouldn't write reviews while I'm at work, keep coming back to it instead of finishing thoughts.

Basically without the Rock it would be a decidedly average heist film pretending to be a comedy. With The Rock it's a decent Friday night film, though it's still half an hour too long.  If they'd trimmed it down to 90 or 100 minutes it'd be great.

There isn't a film in history that hasn't been improved by the Rock being in it. Even Southland Tales and that's one of the worst pieces of shit films I've ever seen. Self-indulgent, incoherent tripe. Top 3 worst ever. (Or should it be bottom 3?) Only thing good about it? The most electrifying man in sports entertainment.

Rockbottom.gif

Here Comes the Devil

This is a Mexican psychological horror that I found on Netflix. The plot is basically about an evil hill full of demons. It revolves around a family, whose children disappear on said mountain, but are found safe and well the next day. Unfortunately, all is not well with the children and the mother (an actress who won some Mexican talent shows) attempts to find out what happened on the evil hill. There is lots of blood and nudity and quite an unexpected twist ending.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Locke (2013)

One of those films that you watch and think "why didn't I have this idea?"

Basically, it's Tom Hardy in a car making and taking phonecalls for an hour and a half. As the film goes on, we learn all about his character, as you'd hope to, and find out where he's going and why.
It flew by, was intriguing and weirdly gripping (for a film about a man in a car making and taking phonecalls for an hour and a half). The ending seemed a bit rushed, but I find myself thinking that a lot about books and films these days. Also I'm not sure I would have enjoyed Tom Hardy in a car making and taking phonecalls for three hours.

• Upvote 1

Locke (2013)

One of those films that you watch and think "why didn't I have this idea?"

Basically, it's Tom Hardy in a car making and taking phonecalls for an hour and a half. As the film goes on, we learn all about his character, as you'd hope to, and find out where he's going and why.

It flew by, was intriguing and weirdly gripping (for a film about a man in a car making and taking phonecalls for an hour and a half). The ending seemed a bit rushed, but I find myself thinking that a lot about books and films these days. Also I'm not sure I would have enjoyed Tom Hardy in a car making and taking phonecalls for three hours.

I always seem to find films of 2 hour plus running time could do with a bit trimmed off. 1.75 hrs is optimal. Unless its The Godfather or Apocalypse Now.

I always seem to find films of 2 hour plus running time could do with a bit trimmed off. 1.75 hrs is optimal. Unless its The Godfather or Apocalypse Now.

Same, there are a few exceptions but if a film is too long, I do find myself getting a bit impatient. I'd be such a shit film critic.

My friend used to be the opposite and his rule was "Unless it's 'Cool Runnings', there is no good film under 90 minutes long."