aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Lawless

I love a good gangster film and this one was OK.  Tom Hardy leads a family of bootleggers in prohibition era Virginia. All's going well until Guy Pierce arrives as a walking cartoon of a corrupt, evil, masochistic cop sent from the city to bring order to the hick gangs making moonshine. He beats the shit out of Shia Le Beouf, probably the best thing he did in the whole film, starting a conflict which leads... blah... blah... blah.

It was pretty obvious where this was heading as soon as Pierce appeared on screen.  To be honest it was kind of sad that the film ended up down this road.  It would have been much improved without the distractions of Pierce's terrible character and Le Bowff's awful acting. He was fucking irritating all the way through.  The same film but with Tom Hardy's character as the true centrepiece would have been much better.

As it stands, Lawless is a solid film which could have been something great.

Her

Joaquin Phoenix installs a new OS, which is constantly evolving. This OS 'Samantha' evolves to the point where she develops wants, needs, and love. Joaquin falls in love with is OS. One of the best love stories I've ever seen. Heartbreaking and touching. And it made me kind of want to dump my gf for an OS. Film of the year.

The Lego Movie

Took my son to see it at the weekend. Fucking ace.

9/10

Spring Breakers

4 girls rob a cafe to get money to go on spring break, where they are arrested and bailed out by gangster James Franco, who then persuades them to join his escapades. I found this a bit muddled in tone and style, it was like a serious movie with American Pie level tits and ass footage shoehorned in every so often.

6/10

The Wolverine

Wolverine in Japan, taking on yakuzas. Pretty ding really.

5/10

Good Vibrations

True story of Terri Hooley who opened the titular record shop in Belfast and released The Understones 'Teenage Kicks' in amongst various shows of business ineptitude. Pretty decent film actually.

7/10

50 Years of the WWE - it's fucking ace. Pretty in-depth look at the company and the various eras. It's obviously entirely funded by the WWE so it's not the most incisive investigatory journalism but there's nothing better than snippets of old-school wrestling. Made me realise just how good the attitude era was. Worth a watch.

One thing that always pisses me off is the entire avoidance of the whole WWF > WWE issue. I still don't know exactly what happened. Why did they change? Just because the animal one had the name first? The part that annoys me is that they don't even acknowledge that everyone grew up calling it the WWF and suddenly we're just supposed to be on board with the E thing. Even just a 2 minute segment in the film to say 'hey... so this happened' but nope, nothing. They obviously avoid showing any clips of anyone saying 'WWF' back in the day too. Weird. It's not fucking Opal Fruits... this name change was a big deal.

I will never ever call it WWE. It just sounds so wrong to me. Anyway if I were to talk about it I would probably be referring to the period when it was called WWF so I'd consider that correct. 

Last film I watched was this

http://youtu.be/gSqMw8UtOvw

I'm not really a fan of basketball but this is the second time I've watched this. Perhaps the best sports documentary I've ever watched and the footage of those two players does make more interested than the sport than I usually am.

50 Years of the WWE - it's fucking ace. Pretty in-depth look at the company and the various eras. It's obviously entirely funded by the WWE so it's not the most incisive investigatory journalism but there's nothing better than snippets of old-school wrestling. Made me realise just how good the attitude era was. Worth a watch.

One thing that always pisses me off is the entire avoidance of the whole WWF > WWE issue. I still don't know exactly what happened. Why did they change? Just because the animal one had the name first? The part that annoys me is that they don't even acknowledge that everyone grew up calling it the WWF and suddenly we're just supposed to be on board with the E thing. Even just a 2 minute segment in the film to say 'hey... so this happened' but nope, nothing. They obviously avoid showing any clips of anyone saying 'WWF' back in the day too. Weird. It's not fucking Opal Fruits... this name change was a big deal.

I'm pretty sure their hand was forced with that, they're not allowed to say WWF because of that lawsuit. They are also required to blur out the old WWF logos.

I also watched this over the weekend actually, the first half is ace but the second half is basically just an advert and an opportunity for them to blow their own trumpet and go on about their charity work and stuff.

That's insane. What was the reason they had to change? Did the panda WWF have it trademarked or something?

Im pretty sure it had to do with the WWF and the now WWE had an agreement that the wrestling would not use the initials WWF to advertise their product. Vince broke this agreement when he started advertising the wrestling online and the WWF sued. Rather than come to a compromise Vince changed the company running the wrestling to WWE and used it as a huge marketing campaign. 

The weird thing is, the WWE still own the rights to the WWF logo, but cannot use the initials and the WWF are now called the WWFN, so neither company uses those exact initials anymore. 

Edited by The Milner

I will never ever call it WWE. It just sounds so wrong to me. Anyway if I were to talk about it I would probably be referring to the period when it was called WWF so I'd consider that correct. 

Last film I watched was this

http://youtu.be/gSqMw8UtOvw

I'm not really a fan of basketball but this is the second time I've watched this. Perhaps the best sports documentary I've ever watched and the footage of those two players does make more interested than the sport than I usually am.

I watched this last night after seeing your post. It's a good watch. The Magic Johnson 30 for 30 revolves around his HIV announcement and his relationship with his wife. It retreads a lot of ground from this one but it's definitely worth a watch too.

Olympus Has Fallen

Well, this is a "special" film. To be honest I knew what I was getting into before watching this and wasn't really disappointing. It's utterly fucking preposterous. 2 hours of almost non-stop action as North Korean terrorists take over the White House and hold the US President hostage. Gerard Butler is the only agent left alive in the building and has to save the day all by himself.  It's way over the top, completely unbelievable and pretty good fun if I'm honest.  Probably takes itself too seriously at times. Would have liked to see some more humour in it or a bit of panache in some of the fights, instead they're played for brutality for the most part.