aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Downfall Had to watch this after seeing so many of those bloody youtube mashups. It was pretty riveting, realistic and Bruno Ganz's Hitler was just spot on. It did get a little dull after Hitler shot himself (I hope that's not a spoiler!) but this cannot be helped as it isn't a Hollywood film:up: The pressure in the bunker was intense though not as much in the streets yet this didn't detract from the film too much.

Oldboy I don't know much of what to say about this... it's absurd, beautifully cinematic and pretty fucked. Think Fight Club and then don't think Fight Club because it's nothing like Fight Club

I'm off to watch Solaris now. See you all in 3 weeks :up:

Downfall Had to watch this after seeing so many of those bloody youtube mashups. It was pretty riveting, realistic and Bruno Ganz's Hitler was just spot on. It did get a little dull after Hitler shot himself (I hope that's not a spoiler!) but this cannot be helped as it isn't a Hollywood film:up: The pressure in the bunker was intense though not as much in the streets yet this didn't detract from the film too much.

Oldboy I don't know much of what to say about this... it's absurd, beautifully cinematic and pretty fucked. Think Fight Club and then don't think Fight Club because it's nothing like Fight Club

I'm off to watch Solaris now. See you all in 3 weeks :up:

Downfall mashups...is this the one in the bunker when he sends most folk out the room and launches into a full blown rage? If so, I want to see the film too.

Do the Nazis keep it together after Adolf shoots himself?

Downfall mashups...is this the one in the bunker when he sends most folk out the room and launches into a full blown rage? If so, I want to see the film too.

That's the one! And I couldn't remember what it was called so I ended up reading the whole of the World Cinema section titles until I clicked, but it was worth going cross-eyed to find it.

Also watched:

Solaris This is the 1972 Russian film, not the one with Clooney which I didn't even know about until I looked online last night. It's not as long as I thought it would be, though it is long. I was slightly disappointed as I thought it was going to be a cross between 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining and it turned out to be a more sombre, reflective film, but the opening scenes on the space station did really creep me out. It kept my interest later on by being massively Russian and strange.

Memento I saw this years ago but thought I could give it a second go. It's brilliant but extremely confusing and I'm not just talking about the chronological structure of the film. Certain obvious but little things just didn't make a lot of sense and seemed misleading but it's possible I just didn't get the reason why. Guy Pearce was ace though, I'm pretty sure of that.

Recently I have watched -

'The Man Who Would Be King' - one of those old classics that for some reason I had never seen starring Michael Caine and Sean Connery. Great film, certainly one of Caine's best and it's good to see Sean Connery in something that isn't Bond or his recent stuff in toupes and playing numerous nationalities with the same accent. 9/10.

'Spartacus' - Another classic I hadn't seen, another great film, although at a shade over 3 hours it's a long un. Doesn't really drag on though. 9/10.

'Purple Rain'. Hadn't seen it in many years and it was 2 quid in Asda so decided to revisit. Godawful acting, lots of dodgy miming in the concert scenes but the music is ace. Although one major plot glitch - after refusing to entertain the idea of doing Wendy and Lisa's tune for the whole film he decides to show some humility by doing what has become Purple Rain, surprising the band. Yet their improvisational skills are amazing as they know all the backing vocals and everything! 6/10.

'Taken' - Liam Neeson does bad ass surprisingly well. No real surprises plot wise but I thought this was pretty good. 8/10.

'Little Children' - Drags on a bit, could probably have got it more streamlined and under 2 hours but this is a good movie, good performances all round, especially the creepy paedophile dude who I believe plays Rorschach in Watchmen. 8/10.

'The Gauntlet' - 3 quid in Asda, I wasn't too enamoured when I saw it years ago and although I enjoyed it more this time it's still not up there as one of Clint Eastwood's better efforts. 7/10.

Mississippi Burning - 5/5

A true classic, words cannot explain the brilliance, except to make my 17 year old self sound old, but they don't make films like that any more. One thing though, was Gene Hackman ever young?

I think he was quite an age before he became well known, I seem to remember 'Bonnie and Clyde' being his breakout role and he looked pretty mature in that as well....

Last night I watched 'The Spirit'. I really didn't like it. Took much of the style of 'Sin City' but none of the substance. It couldn't seem to decide if it was a comedy or not and actually came across as rather camp. Not even Scarlet Johannsson in a push up bra saved it. 4/10.

Last night I watched 'The Spirit'. I really didn't like it. Took much of the style of 'Sin City' but none of the substance. It couldn't seem to decide if it was a comedy or not and actually came across as rather camp. Not even Scarlet Johannsson in a push up bra saved it. 4/10.

I thot it was pretty poor too :(

You think thats disturbing try visitor Q !!

This weekend I watched :

The Knowing Could have been good if not for the ending, the plot etc didn't really need the whisperers to make it a good moive, would have been better if not in at all...Nic Cage is still crap tho

Talk to HerSpanish movie ok but not as good and quirky as 'All about my mother'. Weird maybe I missed it, but didn't seem to have much of a conclusion to the whole accusing of rape the guy had...did he didn't he...? I was sure he was more men inclined!?!

I watched "Biggie & Tupac" a documentary about their deaths, which I found fairly interesting, though it was a little ambigous and really raised more questions that it answered. It was also fairly poorly made, it came off like an amateur production. It didn't go into their characters in the slightest, it was fine for me as I already know the story behind it and who they were etc. but for my girlfriend who didn't really know much about the east coast west coast rivalry, or know who Suge Knight was etc. it could have explained it a bit more and made it a bit more accessible. It suffered from not having a licence to play any of Tupac's music. It was alright I suppose, not brilliant but it detailed a lot of corruption and cover up in the police that really should be public knowledge.

Thumbs MIDDLE

Then "Ed Wood", a biopic with the Johny Depp / Tim Burton team at their weird and gothic finest. It's about the film director Edward D Wood who made Plan 9 From Outer Space and a load of other shit films with no budget. He was also a drunk and a transvestite, and was voted Worst Director Of All Time. It's an interesting film, concentrating on just one year of his life, the filming of his "masterpiece" Plan 9 and his friendship with horror legend Bela Lugosi (who was on his last legs, out of work and addicted to drugs). Good film, definitely worth watching.

Thumbs UP

Currently watching the Re-Edited and Extended version of Sin City. Whilst i like the idea of watching the individual stories in their entirety it does feel a little disjointed. Absolutely amazing film though and it looks and sounds amazing too on Blu Ray through my Home Cinema set-up.

I've also got Resident Evil and Silent Hill to watch on Blu Ray as well. Seen them before but everything i've seen on Blu Ray has had a new lease of life for me both picture quality and sound quality-wise (God bless Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio HD, hell, even High Res Dolby and DTS are a treat) .

I also watched American Psycho recently, was waiting for a huge big turnover like in Fightclub or something awesome and really "Holy shit!" like that but was left not really sure what had happened, i think i watched it wrong if that makes sense?

There are a few different theories as to what actually happened at the end.

The most popular is that every character in the book was lying and leading double lives, and when he came clean it was exposing other people's lies so they covered it all up and made him think he imagined it all. The lawyer who claimed he had lunch with Paul Allan in London was using Paul Allan as an alibi, because he himself had been off getting up to no good, and if Bateman admitted that actually Allan was dead, it would expose him. The woman in the apartment cleaned up the mess herself knowing that she wouldn't be able to rent the apartment again if it was a crime scene.

One of the others is that nobody actually knew who was who because they all looked the same and dressed the same and didn't actually have any personality to speak of, which often led to confusion - this is hinted at when that guy keeps calling Bateman by the wrong name. So when the guy claimed he had lunch with Paul Allan, it could have been anyone, but he just thought it was Paul.

Alternatively, he could have just imagined it all.

I don't like the ending anyway. Also the book is miles better.

• Upvote 1

I just watched Visitor Q last night, holy sheep shite it's distrubring, yet funny, yet very disturbing...I thought Oldboy was bad!! ha ha lets see Hollywood remake this the bastards! ha ha not one for the prudish!
I really want to see that film!
Martyrs - The weirdest, most f**ked up film I've seen in years. I can't see me wanting to see it again in a hurry, but in terms of the plot development, etc I recommend it, it took several twists and turns along the way and it certainly didn't go where I thought it was going to. 9/10 for originality and sheer gruesomeness.
It's fucking ace ain't it? I still don't know what the fuck it all meant really.
I watched the sex scene again last night.

Cos I wanted to see a man fuck his own daughter.

Hitman: Not a bad attempt at a film, considering it's based on a game! Doesn't have the simplest of plots, which was stupid considering you're not expecting to use your brain in a film like this. Had to laugh when the text on the screen informs you we're in St Petersburg all the time - despite the fact it's set there. Action is top-notch: gun fights ahoy, graphic assassinations and a 4-way sword-fight! If you can look past points like "why can't the Russian police find a guy with a MASSIVE BARCODE TATTOOED ON HIS HEAD?!?!?" it's a thoroughly watchable film. Girls won't like it, but it's definitely one for the guys. 7/10

Public Enemies: Overall, this was pretty disappointing. They must have spent the entire budget on the costumes and props, which were all great, but cut every corner on the actual film-making: because it's shot in HD it looked like it was filmed on cheap home-cameras, 'shaky cam' was used far too often, audio mix was terrible (quiet dialogue / deafening tommy-guns) and the editing seemed very rushed. Because of this I never really got into the film much. The main casting's fairly standard and well acted - J. Depp being quirky and funny guy, C. Bale being law upholder - but it was good to see Herc and Judge Phelan from The Wire showing face. Not much else to say really, walked out of the cinema unimpressed. 6/10

Wrestlemaniac: Yet another Zone Horror film... when will I learn. As far as B-movies go this was OK. Featured the following 'staple' horror elements: crazy legend, generally low IQs, people insisting on walking about on their own, lame 'jumpy' bits, ridiculous nerds, unfathomably stupid ending as well as lesbians, tits, and pervy camera angles. Rey Mysterio's dad was the main killer, weird. Looked and felt pretty professional compared to most low-budget horrors, but didn't actually have that much to do with wrestling! Decent gore, but only a bodycount of six... 5/10

A Blu-ray player would be mint, but the films are so expensive. Seem to get a decent picture from putting a DVD in the Xbox through the HDMI anyway. Better than the actual DVD player.

Absolute nonsense. I picked up Sin City, Resident Evil and Silent Hill for 20.76. That's 6.92 per film. The average Blu Ray costs around 15 retail now and that's a hell of a lot less than DVD cost when it was at a similar point in it's history. I remember paying upwards of 25 for a DVD early on.

Shop smart.

Xbox upscales your picture and if you've got a 720p (768pixel panel) TV then it will look marginally better on a standard sized TV (19" to 32"). Image quality of upscaling deteriorates on larger screens. Upscalling to 1080p generally looks pish unless it's a fairly recent film and authored to a high standard on DVD. HDMI is also a lot better at dealing with a picture as it is a digital method of transfer rather than analogue (Component, Scart, Composite, SVHS etc).

There is 4 times the resolution in a 1080p picture than there is in a 576p DVD standard. Even more compared to 480i on analogue TV.

Incidentally, all films that you see in the cinema have a lot higher resolution than Blu Ray/HD. It is possible for a film to be 8000p but in actuality it tends to be closer to 2000p depending on film stock and projectors.

Absolute nonsense. I picked up Sin City, Resident Evil and Silent Hill for 20.76. That's 6.92 per film. The average Blu Ray costs around 15 retail now and that's a hell of a lot less than DVD cost when it was at a similar point in it's history. I remember paying upwards of 25 for a DVD early on.

Shop smart.

Xbox upscales your picture and if you've got a 720p (768pixel panel) TV then it will look marginally better on a standard sized TV (19" to 32"). Image quality of upscaling deteriorates on larger screens. Upscalling to 1080p generally looks pish unless it's a fairly recent film and authored to a high standard on DVD. HDMI is also a lot better at dealing with a picture as it is a digital method of transfer rather than analogue (Component, Scart, Composite, SVHS etc).

There is 4 times the resolution in a 1080p picture than there is in a 576p DVD standard. Even more compared to 480i on analogue TV.

Incidentally, all films that you see in the cinema have a lot higher resolution than Blu Ray/HD. It is possible for a film to be 8000p but in actuality it tends to be closer to 2000p depending on film stock and projectors.

You could sell TV's or something.

Transformers : Revenge of the Fallen

Bang ... crash ... wallop ... kaboom ... <profound statement in deep voice> ... BOOM! ... kapow ... <funny side in regional dialect> ... John Turturro ... thud! ... Sam's in trouble ... Michaela's thighs ... BOOM! ... and so forth.

Utter bobbins, but a whole heap of fun - the kid enjoyed it too.

Megan Fox would be the sexiest dame on the planet if she weren't so DUMB - have you read any of her interviews? (assuming you got past the pictures).

Still shot in HD though! My point was that is seems pointless shooting a blockbuster this way then sticking it on cinema reel that can handle infinitely higher quliality... just made the entire film look gash.

Yes, and as all film (even stuff from the 1930s) is HD already saying it's shot in HD is pointless. Chances are you saw it on a digital projector anyway, it's just a facet of using digital film cameras i guess. The director did the same with Miami Vice which led to some terrible night shots and saturation problems.

Shop smart.

Settle down now. I was basing it on seeing them on the high street for about 20 quid. Obviously haven't researched it since I don't even have a Blu-Ray player, and probably never will, unless it perhaps becomes the main format in a few years. Until then. I have too many dvd's to switch between different devices and formats. I'm not even that arsed about slightly better resolution anyway.

Settle down now. I was basing it on seeing them on the high street for about 20 quid. Obviously haven't researched it since I don't even have a Blu-Ray player, and probably never will, unless it perhaps becomes the main format in a few years. Until then. I have too many dvd's to switch between different devices and formats. I'm not even that arsed about slightly better resolution anyway.

There's no settling down needed, you just seem a little ill-informed.You don't need to "switch between devices" as all Blu Ray players are backwards compatible with DVD (meaning you don't have to replace anything). You can pick up a Sharp Blu Ray player for 99 in HMV just now and High Street prices are always more expensive for everything. A new release DVD is 13 these days (fair enough that usually drops to about 7 after a couple of months). On casually browsing in ASDA and Tesco recently there is very little Blu Ray-wise that costs over 15. Most people buy films from supermarkets or from sites on the internet these days anyway. Even HMV has a good few Blu Rays under 10.

It's not slightly better resolution either, i suggest you have a look at the mathematics involved if you think it's just "slightly" better, or better yet go and have a look at a comparison between the two.