aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Recently read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's much better than the film, which I didn't like; admittedly, a view heavily tainted by the legions of moronic, petty drug-users pledging their allegiance to it from the depths of pissed stained second-hand sofas at five in the morning when I just want to get some sleep...

Also read 'The Rum Diary' by HST, which is even better than Fear and Loathing!

preach!! rum diary has totally been obscured by HST's cult status. It is relatively tame but I think it shows he was really talented as a travel writer.

Recently finished Into thin Air by Jon Kraukuer - an account of a fatal Everest expidition in 1996. Was recommended to me by a friend who only reads mountaineering / extreme endurance literature. Didn't think I'd be that into it, but it was very good. I'm hoping to read Kraukuer's Into the Wild before Sean Penn's film version comes out.

Having been initially unimpressed with Capek, I started again and found out he's a pretty cool guy. I just read the trilogy Hordubal, Meteor and An Ordinary Life, nice little stories and also some philosophical questions should you care to think about them (but not if you don't want to).

Makes me think I should read Bergson though, for my personal development (everyone seems to have taken influence from him!), and I have a feeling it will be, like every philosophical text ever, too difficult. :(

I'm getting stuck into The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde which is pretty good so far. The idea of being able to jump into books and interact with the characters appeals to the child and the English graduate in me.

There was a good episode of Fairly Odd Parents where they were jumping through books. It was pretty powerful.

• 3 weeks later...
Imperium by Robert Harris, which i just couldnt put down.

Ooh, I'll remember that!

Reading Brian Greene's Elegant Universe, which is a fantastic book about string theory for folk who have no idea about physics/mathematics but find such things interesting. Which means I love it, but am damned if I have to explain it to anybody :p

Started reading "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz

About a guy who sees dead people. It's got potential. Another of those books that I've decided to read purely on the name of the book.

The above book was pretty good and had a twist at the end that I wasn't expecting.

Fortunately Dean Koontz has brought out two sequels, one of which I've just started called 'Forever Odd'.

Again about the guy that can see the dead.