43) All These Things I've Done The Killers

44) Sweet Child O Mine Guns N Roses

45) Fake Tales Of San Francisco Arctic Monkeys

46) Panic The Smiths

47) Just Radiohead

48 ) Voodoo People Prodigy

49) Alright Supergrass

50) Girls And Boys Blur

Thing is, I personally dislike when you hear people say "I hate students!" This statement is very silly. However, you do get the stereotypical students that you can see that lot being on some mix cd they have made. Those kind of students I DO hate. It's just a pet hate but It's still there nonetheless. I dont think the stone roses deserve to be in there, I think your stereotypical student now is perhaps not really up on who they are so much as most of the other tracks there. You know what, in fact, fuck it! I've changed my mind...they probably do dance to those songs not knowing who the fuck they are. So while we are at it, you could probably throw in "the only one i know" by the charlatans as well. A GREAT track (that annoying students who own "Loveless"* by My Bloody Valentine because NME told them they should own it to be a proper student) will all whoop when it comes on, desperate to let everyone else know that they like it and know who it is!

*Loveless - Fuck Off. It's PISH!!!! Dont pretend that you like it and see any substance in it whatsoever...its complete crap! Its just stupid, incomprehensible white noise that doesnt ever go anywhere or ever actually go close to having any songs on it. I dont belive they deserve to be in the Shoegazer genre with all the quality bands that movement gave us.

Where the fuck is Beck 'Loser' and stuff by Ash? Honestly, if you're going to presume that most students are stuck in the late 90s musicwise you can't leave those two out.

No wonder people have such a poor opinion of students and student pubs/clubs if this is the kind of pish thats considered popular with them.

*Loveless - Fuck Off. It's PISH!!!! Dont pretend that you like it and see any substance in it whatsoever...its complete crap! Its just stupid, incomprehensible white noise that doesnt ever go anywhere or ever actually go close to having any songs on it. I dont belive they deserve to be in the Shoegazer genre with all the quality bands that movement gave us.

'Loveless' is probably my favourite album, with "When You Sleep" being one of my favourite songs. To say its incomprehensible white noise is pretty narrow-minded, its hardly a Whitehouse album.

'Loveless' is probably my favourite album, with "When You Sleep" being one of my favourite songs. To say its incomprehensible white noise is pretty narrow-minded, its hardly a Whitehouse album.

I'm with RF on this one. I'm very cynical about albums perhaps in the same vain as Loveless, which lack actual songs and so on and are unlistenable, but Loveless does melody and structure and is a unique and effecting record. I ain't saying it's got any great depth to it, and over the length of an album i personally find that the style begins to grate a little, but "incomprehensible white noise" it is not.

On the topic of the student anthems, i pretty much agree with Dave. Some of them are more like football hooligan anthems. Was this in the student guide thing that came with NME this week? I bought it yesterday because Mr Cocker was on the cover, but never looked at the student guide cos that pathetic example of humankind from the Horrors was on the cover of it.

The Topman promotion piece in this weeks NME is stomach churning. I mean, I still read NME (against my better judgement), and I very occasionally shop in Topman, but this piece of 'promotional journalism' is enough to make you want to burn down everything associated with either company.

Sample extracts -

Topman know that there's more to student life than skipping lectures and eating bacon butties all day. Not only are there parties to plan and new records to download, but there's the rather important matter of looking great for the new term.

Woah, Topman and NME are both totally down with student life! Planning parties, skipping lectures and buying pre-ripped clothes at inflated prices! Rock on.

Their Goth Rock range comes splattered with rock-inspired graphics

So that's where Bauhaus got their clothes from!

The Artisan range's navy macs allow you to rock the down-to-earth Arctic Monkeys look

Only the NME could manage to relate buying a Macintosh jacket to being more like the Arctic Monkeys.

There's a couple of journalists at NME who seem to be pretty on the ball, but they're totally overshadowed by pages and pages of this corporate sponsored garbage.

So what they're saying is, students only listen to music you can buy in Asda or J. Sainsbury's Ltd? (I daresay they have compilations with the older songs on them available at 9.97). To be honest, that's like a playlist for Firewater or Garage, so they're (unfortunatley) probably not far off the mark.

It shouldn't be though. It used to be good' date=' vital even, and i wish it was like that again. It was decent even as recently as 2001 but for the odd Andrew WK. But we can only dream when they continue to says things like the Fratellis album is "the most important album you could own".[/quote']

The poster for that album is all over the subway stations in Glasgow. It's fucking ridiculous. To highlight how great they really are, the album the posters replaced was: Sandie Thom. I can't see NME ever improving, they'll always be so obsessed with finding the latest "essential" band that they'll never stop trying to hype up any old shite, and with the majority of their readership being people who see music as something to play in the background to their mundane lives than someting to challenge them, it'll only get worse. They have to pander to the type of idiots who think Channel 4 put on great bands so they're too scared of losing that audience that they'll never try saying "hey, this is different, but you might just like it..." I daresay their writers really DO like the shite they write about too. It should just be stopped. Now.

'Essential' bands are now a weekly happening. There are now so many 'essential' bands that music will implode soon because it is far too 'essential'.

NME= Group of self important-pompous-we know better than the public therefore we decide what is best-latest alternative fashion hairstyled-tasteless sychophants!

Nae idea!

(If they said my bands was essential then 'obviously' they would right and who would I be to say otherwise:laughing: :) )

No its not narrow-minded...it's my opinion.

It is narrow minded, and badly informed! I fail to see how you can say that the album is 'incomprehensible white noise' when its clearly not the case, whether you actually like Loveless or not. It brings to mind the stereotypical old person saying "its just noise" when listening to Elvis/The Sex Pistols/The Beatles/Nirvana/etc... throughout the years.

*Note, I am not comparing My Bloody Valentine to any of these bands.

It is narrow minded, and badly informed! I fail to see how you can say that the album is 'incomprehensible white noise' when its clearly not the case, whether you actually like Loveless or not. It brings to mind the stereotypical old person saying "its just noise" when listening to Elvis/The Sex Pistols/The Beatles/Nirvana/etc... throughout the years.

*Note, I am not comparing My Bloody Valentine to any of these bands.

Err, no, it's my opinion.

It's not badly informed whatsoever. I own loveless on CD and tried several times in the ten years I have owned it to "get it."

Dont give me that crap about me taking the old person stance of "it's just noise." I listen to pretty extreme music. I also Love Ride whose early, effects laden material would be seen as unintelligible noise to the untrained ear. I wouldnt ever attack someones opinion on it. I may disagree and state why I do but not TELL them they are being narrow minded without knowing if they had given it attention enough to form a valid opinion.

So, my opinion. It's pretentious crap. :up:

I fucking hate this stereotype that people have of students, especially when something national prints shite like that. What the fuck is a 'student anthem'? It's like students are sub-human or kept away from the 'normal people'.

On-the-whole, students have a much wider tollorence for any sort of music, which is why that list is nothing but root! If anything that list's just a compilation of songs you'd hear ending a night in any trendy bar / club. I want to kick any wanker who even agrees to takes part in a 'student anthem survey'.

Guest bluesxman

I've always thought Loveless to be slightly overrated but it has some good stuff on it. My ears still bleed in memory of seeing MBV at the SECC. Ride were my favourite band out of that 'shoegazing' period, they at least knew how to wring a good tune out of the effects rather than just create a meandering endless dirge, unlike some of the other hangers on.

I always thought MBV stood apart from that scene a bit anyway. Kind of the originators of the effects driven guitar genre but more obtuse.