aberdeen-music

NME's Top 50 ''Student Anthems''

A.Pel

I've always thought Loveless to be slightly overrated but it has some good stuff on it. My ears still bleed in memory of seeing MBV at the SECC. Ride were my favourite band out of that 'shoegazing' period, they at least knew how to wring a good tune out of the effects rather than just create a meandering endless dirge, unlike some of the other hangers on.

I always thought MBV stood apart from that scene a bit anyway. Kind of the originators of the effects driven guitar genre but more obtuse.

Great post.

I no longer have any sympathy for the NME. The sooner it dies, the better. And I don't care if that spells the end for weekly music papers. Better leaving people to blunder around the world of music for themselves than having anyone read that spoon-feeding, marketing-obsessed, indulgent rag.

AKM

I hate about 1/3 of those songs. The Arctic Monkeys, Kooks, Razorlight and The Killers are awful and annoying, yet it seems to be the in thing to like them. Now The Strokes and The Smiths, that's what I'm talking about :up:

Isn't it 'in' to like them too? In a 'look at me, I don't rely entirely on the NME' way? Maybe not.

I just got to uni and in some ways it's rubbish. It's just like being at home: all the boys in a 'preppy' style, all the girls with leggings and miniskirts. People thinking they're 'lol random' for wearing a dressing gown and Russian hat. And everyone raving on about how they love the cool 90s (because we're the 90s generation) famous people and TV series. Argh...

yet I still dance with the masses to the Fratellis and the Kooks (who I don't dislike really, to be honest).

• 2 weeks later...
kill 'em all...

in my experience, no one in their right mind should want to be at uni it's a means to an end.

agreed, just 3 short years and i'm finished uni too, altho i've really no idea what a "Student Anthem" is, hardly any of my friends are students, yet we all seem to have similar taste in music, really was a crap idea for a poll tho, "Student Anthems" is this gonna turn into a "Power Ballads I/II/III" type load of bollocks

All those multi choice questions on the higher papers... not in my day. etc etc.

Multi choice questions in Highers? Surely not! It wasn't like that in my day either.

On the students being arseholes thing, I tend to agree that (now that I'm not a student) students are incredibly irritating to say the least. I do remember when I was like that once upon a time though.

Guest idol_wild
Most people I know are at uni as they have a thirst for knowledge and want to increase it, NOT as a means to an end.

I agree wholeheartedly. I went to university and gained a second-class honours in a fairly useless field, but I was into what I was studying and wanted to know more about it.

Now, I work part-time behind the bar in a strip club because it's all I can get, it seems.

But I'm still very glad I went to university and learned what I did.

I agree with Deecie to some extent.

University was something that seemed like a natural progression seeing as I did pretty well at school. However, I haven't really learned much so far except how to write a suitable essay (which by definition basically seems to mean the easiest to mark). So I'm just using it to get a piece of paper pretty much, while giving me quite a lot of spare time to play guitar.

And anyway there's no denying that having a degree can't hurt your chances of getting a job.

On a more on-topic note, student anthems are ridiculous. Going to university/college doesn't especially affect your music taste. It's a bit like coming up with a top 50 unemployed people anthems list.

Top 50 Ultimate Student Anthems 2006

1) I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor Arctic Monkeys

2) Mr Brightside The Killers

3) I Predict A Riot Kaiser Chiefs

4) Take Me Out Franz Ferdinand

5) This Charming Man The Smiths

6) Hounds Of Love The Futureheads

7) Nave The Kooks

8 ) Last Nite The Strokes

9) Banquet Bloc Party

10) Love Will Tear Us Apart Joy Division

11) Monster The Automatic

12) We Are Your Friends Justice vs Simian

13) Sugar We're Going Down Fall Out Boy

14) Common People Pulp

15) Smells Like Teen Spirit Nirvana

16) Helicopter Bloc Party

17) Apply Some Pressure Maximo Park

18 ) Don't Look Back Into The Sun The Libertines

19) Do You Want To Franz Ferdinand

20) House Of Jealous Lovers The Rapture

21) Teenage Kicks The Undertones

22) Cigarettes And Alcohol Oasis

23) I Am The Resurrection Stone Roses

24) Song 2 Blur

25) Time For Heroes The Libertines

26) Born Slippy Underworld

27) Over And Over Hot Chip

28 ) Decepticon Le Tigre

29) Fools Gold Stone Roses

30) Power Out Arcade Fire

31) In The Morning Razorlight

32) Insomnia Faithless

33) Baywatch Theme Sunblock

34) My Generation The Who

35) Blue Monday New Order

36) Club Foot Kasabian

37) Are You Gonna Be My Girl Jet

38 ) Bang Bang Dirty Pretty Things

39) Valerie The Zutons

40) When The Sun Goes Down Arctic Monkeys

41) Dreaming Of You The Coral

42) Plug In Baby Muse

43) All These Things I've Done The Killers

44) Sweet Child O Mine Guns N Roses

45) Fake Tales Of San Francisco Arctic Monkeys

46) Panic The Smiths

47) Just Radiohead

48 ) Voodoo People Prodigy

49) Alright Supergrass

50) Girls And Boys Blur

Ouch...what a tragic state of affairs for students. I'm glad I never was one. Whatever happened to people making their own mind up about music rather than being force-fed the rubbish peddled by those mags only fit for ripping to shreds and turning into papier-mach? I mean really, when has ANYONE ever re-read a copy of the modern NME? Some of the bands are over and done with after 10 minutes and one single!