aberdeen-music

Best Chipper ?

Benji

I'm sure I just typed a response to this but it doesn't seem to be here. No matter.

Also, I hate when people call them 'rolls'. They arent rolls! Where I come from you make a sandwich from a roll or you put bacon in a roll plus the rolls are actually delicious.

I have actually seen a work mate construct a sarnie out of two butteries with butter and bacon as a filling. I doubt it's a good idea though.

II'm positive that you have to be Aberdonian to like Rowies. They are absolutely disgusting in my eyes. They taste like dry fat incased in digusting dry pasty. It absolutely rank. They also have the same fat content as a chipper (apparently) so I'd rather just have the delicious chipper.

Also, I hate when people call them 'rolls'. They arent rolls! Where I come from you make a sandwich from a roll or you put bacon in a roll plus the rolls are actually delicious.

Here here!! :up:

Zanres started in Peterhead and won a pile of awards, then branched out to Mintlaw and Fraserburgh. The Broch one is alright but not a patch on Fish n Things on Gallowhill Road in my opinion. Next door to Davie Anderson's cheap booze emporium.

As for rowies/butteries/rolls, when I was growing up in the Broch they were known as rolls, when I moved to the big bad city when I was 18 I had no idea what a rowie was. Now I call them rowies. But if you ask for rowies in a bakers in the Broch you generally get a funny looked followed by "yer wutten half a dizzen fit?"

As for Rowies, if its too dry, it just needs toasting, but fresh is best.

The best thing about rowies - the fuckers stay fresh for like a month. I've NEVER seen a rowie go mouldy! Which is why they were invented actually, as an alternative to bread which went mouldy a few days into a long trip at sea. Though I'm sure we all know this already:

The buttery, or rowie as it is called in the North East of Scotland, was said to have been invented or rather created by a local baker for an Aberdonian fisherman. He disliked the hard biscuits that were the standard ration aboard ships. He asked the baker to make a roll that could be taken with the rations at sea and not go hard. The lard, dough and salt mixture of the buttery was ideal for storage in the sea conditions and soon became popular amongst seafolk and their families. Aberdeen butteries popularity soon spread making it a popular breakfast dish amongst Scottish people.

That's ridiculous!!

Glasgow chippies are far better than Aberdeen ones, with the exception of Mike's and the Ashvale, there's hardly a decent chippy in town. However, in Glasgow, there's an abundance and the chips are real chippy chips I know that appears to make no sense!!!

Look, here in Aberdeen we call them "chippers" not "chippies", if you want to refer to them as "chippies" you can piss off to glasgow-music.com*

Haha, aye, he's bought the Criterion.

Or 'The Frank McDougal Sports Bar' as it will soon be renamed.

Quite a nice job been done on it.

Drove past it today and was thinking it looked a bit shit, most of the signs outside are still the same anyway. Couldn't see inside except they appear to have installed lampshades that look like footballs.

*You may have to invent it first.

I'm positive that you have to Aberdonian to like Rowies. They are absolutely disgusting in my eyes.

PS:

Alan, I'm pretty sure you can get Golden Syrup in tins in the Spar near your house. Beware though, as last time I was in they were all past their 'display by' date.

You're not supposed to put them in your eyes! (unless, of course, they're baked jam-rolls)

Most of the stuff I buy from Spar is reduced as it's nearing the sell-by date...it's caused me a few dodgy tummys in the past, but I never learn!

• Upvote 4

Look, here in Aberdeen we call them "chippers" not "chippies", if you want to refer to them as "chippies" you can piss off to glasgow-music.com.

I will call them whatever I want to call them... When I was up the road I used the term 'chippers'. But now I'm home... I'm finally losing my 'twang' as my mother puts it!

A chipper should be judged solely *grin* on it's fish and chips not it's deep fried pizza, mock chop, macaroni pie, jumbo sausage. All those things are a doddle to cook, it's the fish that's hard to get right.

haha, pretty sure i cooked for you, laura and johnno when i worked in ashbale... sorry for the food poisioning :up: