aberdeen-music

Best Chipper ?

Benji

Guest Jake Wifebeater
No chance of a decent fish supper anytime soon though :down:

Matter of interest Clyde, what junk food options have you got out there? Do you have to make do with McShit or is there anything else?

:up:

Matter of interest Clyde, what junk food options have you got out there? Do you have to make do with McShit or is there anything else?

:up:

There's the usual junk places like McDonalds and KFC (no Burger King though, strangely), but there's loads of pizza/kebab shops littered round the place. None are authentic, but kebab meat here is a hell of a lot nicer than what you get in the UK. There's also a brilliant invention of a kebab tortilla - basically a massive tortilla, stuffed like a normal kebab would be. Absolutely brilliant to eat

Hmm..food wise, the best thing around is a thing called a 'zapekanka' - looks like this. They come with pretty much any topping you want - but it seems to usually be served with onions, sausage and shitloads of whatever sauce you want.

What else...there's these places called "milk bars", that you can get really decent meals from for absolute peanuts, as they're subsidised by the government. They're fast, but the food is really good, although they're ran on traditional pre-1989 lines in terms of being shouted at and treated rudely :)

The one thing that there's a shocking lack of is getting anything to eat from a bakery that isn't either just plain bread or sweet - in fact, getting simple hot food is impossible unless you go to a kebab shop or the like. Some supermarkets do sell hot stuff, but nothing like what's available in the UK.

As for bigos...:puke:

Funnily enough, McDonalds/KFC are hideously expensive here - for example, a Big Mac on its own will cost the same price as a 12" pizza from my local pizza shop.

When I was in Warsaw last year we used to get these hot dog / burger things from little booths on the street that were piled high with all manner of weird as fuck toppings, usually so high that you couldn't even bite it. They were really tasty and cost less than a quid :)

In fact at the tail end of night out i had about a tenner and some shrapnel left in my pocket, and with it I managed to buy a lap dance, a taxi home, a burger, a hotdog, a Twix, a bottle of lucozade and 20 fags. AND i had change left! :rockon:

White pudding? Pasta in a Pie? King Ribs?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

The only things that should be on the menu are Fish, Chips and a useless plastic fork. Maybe a battered jumbo sausage, as a side, not a replacement for the fish. Savages.

I haven't had a great fish and chips since I was in Scarborough a few years ago. the fish had probably only been out of the water 15 minutes. To say Aberdeen is a seaside city, the fish doesn't taste as fresh as it should. And it's more expensive. Three quid for a chippy tea in Scarborough.

White pudding? Pasta in a Pie? King Ribs?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

The only things that should be on the menu are Fish, Chips and a useless plastic fork. Maybe a battered jumbo sausage, as a side, not a replacement for the fish. Savages.

I haven't had a great fish and chips since I was in Scarborough a few years ago. the fish had probably only been out of the water 15 minutes. To say Aberdeen is a seaside city, the fish doesn't taste as fresh as it should. And it's more expensive. Three quid for a chippy tea in Scarborough.

White pudding is as traditional as it comes up this way! Fair enough with the other two examples of nouvelle-cuisine.

I've had a Scarborough fish supper once or twice....they were OK, but not as good as the ones in Whitby. Best fish supper I've ever had was from the Bervie chipper in its heyday.

Agree with Pierre on the 70s...probably proper, heart-attack inducing fat made the difference. I recall the Mastrick chipper as being pretty damn good in the 60s (if it's the one in the Arndale shopping centre you mean).

I'm feeling hungry now:

%7Boption%7D

My occasional favourite late night munchies of a couple of pies & some second-day bakery from Thains may not do!

The pancakes are for breakfast the next day BTW. Don't want to seem too much of a guts! :D

Burrrrrrrrpp! :)

If you actually eat that you should be dead by now.

Cheese covered rowies?!?! Like they aren't fatty enough?! :puke: