aberdeen-music

Books!! ...Again.

PrincessHolly

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found 1984 hard to get into, but still a very good book.

I also really enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. In a way similer to 1984, it is set in the future where books are banned and firemens job is to set alight to homes that have books in them. The man character is a fireman who go against the rules..

I would really also recommend Along came a spider by James Patterson, i couldnt put it down!

i just read skinny dip by carl hiaasen which was ace and death of an ordinary man by glen duncan which took a while to get going but was brilliant too. death of an ordinary man deals in some pretty heavy subject manner but handles it brilliantly and with an excellent grasp of language. carl hiaasen just writes brilliant surreal thrillers.

also i can always recommend david attenborough's autobiography which is fully charming and a wonderful read.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
One of my favourite books of all time is "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.

Was just about to say that, great book. The film is pretty faithful to the story, too.

The Man Who Walks by Alan Warner. Same guy as did "Morvern Callar" and "The Sopranos" (the choir' date=' not the gangsters).[/quote']

I love Alan Warner, 'The Sopranos' is both the funniest and saddest book i've read in a while. There's a lot in there, especially for what on the surface appears to be a story about a girls choir going to edinburgh and behaving badly. 'Morvern Callar' is also brilliant in my opinion. 'These Demented Lands' was a lot harder going though, worth it in the end.

Right now i'm reading the official siouxsie and the banshees biography(obviously not for everyone) But the best things i've read over the last year or so have been, jg ballard - short stories, "something wicked this way comes" by ray bradbury, "a scanner darkly" by phillip k dick, various ray bradbury short stories, some caitlin r kiernan stuff, which is pretty poetic, "the bell jar"and hp lovecraft collections plus "skeleton crew" by stephen king. I've reread cormac mcarthy's "child of god" endless times and recently had a go at "maldoror" by comte de lautreamont, found it hard going, wasn't able to get into it but i'll try again. As folks have said albert camus is great, i've read"the plague" and also "the invisible man" by ralph ellison. Thats all i can think of for now.

right now i'm reading genghis khan,life, death and resurrection by john man.its truly stunning.

recently have been bravo two zero and the one that got away, next is going to be a brian lumly necroscope/vampire world novel.comic wise i always have a read of my copies of scream(banned kids comic from the eighties which fucked me up as child!)

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
Last book I read was Hulk Hogan's biography. Kinda random book to read' date=' but not bad if you're into biographies.[/quote']

You suck.

nah, only kidding.....................well, you suck a little bit.

i love that book :)

granted the books thats i have read is limited' date=' but i loved it

does anyone have the order of the alex cross novels that they go in?

also, read lord of the rings :D[/quote']

Along Came a Spider

Kiss the Girls

Jack and Jill

Cat and Mouse

Pop Goes the Weasel

Roses are Red

Violets are Blue

Four Blind Mice

Big Bad Wolf

London Bridges

Mary, Mary - released in Nov

Right now I'm reading 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf and Homer's Odyssey, and also re-reading James Joyce's 'Ulysses' and some T.S. Eliot. All great.

Recently I've been reading a lot of George Orwell, namely 'Down and Out in Paris and London' and 'Homage to Catalonia'. Working my way through Baudelaire's "Fleurs du Mal' and a selection of Marx's 'Surveys from Exile'.

I want to get cracking on more Chaucer soon though.

Right now I'm reading 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf and Homer's Odyssey' date=' and also re-reading James Joyce's 'Ulysses' and some T.S. Eliot. All great.[/quote']

The Odyssey's awesome, some of my favourite lines being:

"My dear old ram.."

"I would not allow them to lament - I stopped each man with a motion of my eyebrows"

and, when the Cyclops has been blinded by Odysseus, which he had been told would happen in a prophesy:

"Oh bother."

Right now I'm reading 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf and Homer's Odyssey' date=' and also re-reading James Joyce's 'Ulysses' and some T.S. Eliot. All great.

Recently I've been reading a lot of George Orwell, namely 'Down and Out in Paris and London' and 'Homage to Catalonia'. Working my way through Baudelaire's "Fleurs du Mal' and a selection of Marx's 'Surveys from Exile'.

I want to get cracking on more Chaucer soon though.[/quote']

down and out in paris and london is great, I reckon it's orwell's best novel and I get quite irritated at the way people bang on about 1984.

Chaucer just doesn't appeal to me atall, what's the attraction?

just finished foley is good by mick foley' date=' which was great. really funny and readable, even though i've never really been into wrestling. made me want to watch some foley matches.[/quote']

ahhahahahhahhahahahahhahahahaahahahahaahhaha

might I recommend "the very hungry caterpillar" by eric carle, it has PRETTY PIKTURES AND THE WORDS ARE VERY EASY.