aberdeen-music

Books!! ...Again.

PrincessHolly

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished 'Rules of Attraction' by Bret Easton Ellis, I really enjoyed it, but unfortunately I'd seen the movie beforehand and just made comparisons despite the fact it's incredibly different to it's screen counterpart. Better by far.

I'm reading 'Not not while the giro' by James Kelman, it's a collection of short stories. It's for my Uni course but I'm really enjoying it. Which is good because it seems I made the right choice for this semester at least.

Working my way through James Patterson's Alex Cross novels again before his latest one is released on paperback. Start at the beginning with Along Came a Spider, it's good. There are 11 books so far in the series, with a new one being released in November. If you like Thomas Harris and his Hannibal Lecter books (also fantastic), then you'll like these.

Once I'm done with these I'm going to go back and try and read Pride and Prejudice, last time I tried I was about 11 and I guess I drowned in the style of writing a little bit, but having watched the TV version many a time it's about time I tried again :)

If your a thriller nut like me then other great authors to try would be Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress, Deception Point), Val McDermid (A Distant Echo - "Wire in the blood" stuff), and Boris Starling (Messiah + Storm).

i'm currently reading 'the world according to clarkson' which is a collection of jeremy clarkson rants from his sunday times columns' date=' most funny!!![/quote']

That sounds like the best book I can possibly imagine.

I'm reading The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles, which is very good.

Incidentaly, I read the Da Vinci Code last week, and to my surprise, really enjoyed it. I think the film has the potential to be brilliant (even if it's not, Audrey Tautou's in it so...)

Incidentaly' date=' I read the Da Vinci Code last week, and to my surprise, really enjoyed it. I think the film has the potential to be brilliant (even if it's not, Audrey Tautou's in it so...)[/quote']

I agree.finished it in a couple of days this week. It's a great book in that it teaches you things that actually enlighten your understanding of life...Walt Disney and Snow White's apple; to pagan symbology etc. However; I just found the characters wooden. For example the bit with the 10 digit code; and it was obvious that it related to the numbers on the floor...and a Havard Professor took so long to work it out...that was seriously frustrating! However; I am also looking forward to the film; especially the chase through Paris bit; because if it's done properly; it'll convey the pace of the book. It will also be interesting to see the director's interpretation of the complex characters...

I have finished reading Rasputin: The Last Word; which was just fantastic! Wish I'd read it before I diod my history essay; but still...it was very enjoyable...simply for the soap opera quality. The author really knows his stuff...and although several mysteries still remain around Rasputin and the Khylsty sect...it certainly enlightens matters.

Following on from the Russia theme... I am reading Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution Part I in French...which; as you can imagine; is a slow process...but I'm determined to get through it. However I need to start reading French lit. so Mauriac's Le noeud de Vipres is next on my list....

anyone caught reading dan brown or jk rowling should be shot immediately. Unless of course' date=' they are reading it with the intention of being ironic.[/quote']

Jk Rowling perhaps, but where do you get your irony on Dan Brown.

Quality novelist.

As is Inspector Rebus novels...anyone read any of these?

Jk Rowling perhaps' date=' but where do you get your irony on Dan Brown.

Quality novelist.

As is Inspector Rebus novels...anyone read any of these?[/quote']

dan brown is just a load of crap. It's not real literature, its cheap trashy novels. My problem with the likes of chuck pahlniuk, dan brown, and jk rowling, is that what they write is basically meaningless childish tripe.

Sure, Harry Potter are supposed to be books for kids, but why do so many so called "adults" read it? I suspect it's because they are retarded people who will gobble up whatever shite the press spoonfeeds to them.

Pahlniuk, I dont care if ive spelt his name wrong, is just a sad little man trying to shock people in a manner more appropriate to a teenager than a supposedly good writer.

As for Dan Brown, again it's just childish, meaningless cliched nonsense that only sells because of marketing.

I recently finished 'Mother Night' by Kurt Vonnegut which i had started ages ago but left it for a while. It was great up there with the best of Vonnegut's other novels that I've read. It is about the American Nazi Howard W campbell Jr, but in the book he is supposedly actually working as an American spy.

I've also just read 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace whihc is simply about what happened when he decided to Yes to everything. Very funny and contains a lot of important messages.

I'm not sure what I'm goign to read next but I've got a few books that I've started not got very far with yet.

I'll probably go back to Joseph Heller's 'Something Happened'

Working my way through James Patterson's Alex Cross novels again before his latest one is released on paperback. Start at the beginning with Along Came a Spider' date=' it's good.[/color']

i love that book :)

granted the books thats i have read is limited, but i loved it

does anyone have the order of the alex cross novels that they go in?

also, read lord of the rings :D

Good books

I'm trying to get back into reading...its been over a year since I read a proper book (as much as I love it, Harry Potter doesn't count :rolleyes: ). Finding good books is harder that I thought it would be though...Does anyone want to help and recommend books they've enjoyed? The title, author and a brief description would be helpful :).

I'm trying to get back into reading...its been over a year since I read a proper book (as much as I love it' date=' Harry Potter doesn't count :rolleyes: ). Finding good books is harder that I thought it would be though...Does anyone want to help and recommend books they've enjoyed? The title, author and a brief description would be helpful :).[/quote']

I recommend "The Outsider" by Albert Camus, it's quite short but really quite profound. "Bliss and other Stories" by Katherine Mansfield is also a really enjoyable read if you enjoy short stories. "Le grande meaulnes" by Alain Fournier is another wonderful book, it was the only book he wrote before he was killed in WW1, I think his premature death was a tragic loss to the literary world.

"Steppenwolf" and "Narziss and Goldmund" by Herman Hess are also great novels which I'm sure you will enjoy.

I recently finished 'Mother Night' by Kurt Vonnegut which i had started ages ago but left it for a while. It was great up there with the best of Vonnegut's other novels that I've read. It is about the American Nazi Howard W campbell Jr' date=' but in the book he is supposedly actually working as an American spy.

I've also just read 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace whihc is simply about what happened when he decided to Yes to everything. Very funny and contains a lot of important messages.

I'm not sure what I'm goign to read next but I've got a few books that I've started not got very far with yet.

I'll probably go back to Joseph Heller's 'Something Happened'[/quote']

Is that the same American Nazi who tried to coax Billy Pilgrim and co to changing sides in Slaughterhouse5?