aberdeen-music

Biggest On-stage Cock-Up?

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

At a gig on Monday I forgot to put a capo on my guitar. I therefore started playing a song in G instead of A flat, which as you can imagine sounded pretty horrible when the rest of the band kicked in.

To make matters worse I quickly stuck on the capo, by which point the other guys in the band had tried to accomodate me by switching down to G.

So make me feel better - what's the worst onstage cock-up you've made or indeed witnessed at a gig?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest cock up?

probably dropping one of my stick and it fell underneath my kick pedal so instead of grabbing another stick from bag i insist of playing with one hand and trying grab the other stick from beneath my feet.

Plus in the process of this mishap i proceded to put my arm in between the kick drum and the pedal = well pain

Guest tv tanned

DJing at a gig at Drakes and a band requested to come on to 'The Rocker' by Thin Lizzy, so I queued it up as they were waiting and pressed play.

30 seconds in I realised with some embarrassment that I was playing completely the wrong track...

At a gig on Monday I forgot to put a capo on my guitar. I therefore started playing a song in G instead of A flat' date=' which as you can imagine sounded pretty horrible when the rest of the band kicked in.

To make matters worse I quickly stuck on the capo, by which point the other guys in the band had tried to accomodate me by switching down to G.

So make me feel better - what's the worst onstage cock-up you've made or indeed witnessed at a gig?[/quote']

Nope that was definitely the worst ... ;)

Worst I've ever seen... hmmm, singers forgetting lyrics, goitarist running across the stage to strike a big power chord and at the same time unplugging his guitar, that was quite good - his face was priceles when he couldnt work out why there was no sound. singers fal;ling off of stages seems to happen a lot too.

Cheers

Stuart

Using someone elses guitar was pretty bad for me as it kept feeding back within a second of striking a note, i kept trying to flick between the pickups (having switched one off) but it made playing much more complicated and resulted in the audience not hearing 1/2 the song. I once forgot the words to 'Chewbacca', which made me feel like a complete twat.

The biggest mistake / accident i saw was at a Liber8 gig when Kris jumped on a monitor, lost his ballance, and fell over it, flapping onto the barrier and being very lucky to have only broken the neck.... of his guitar.

Professionally i'd say it was when that fanny of a frontman from the used tried to look all punx and rockzerz in the middle of a sugarcult (of all bands) set, but after he'd shown Leeds a great deal of KAOS!11111!1!11!!one!! he was running off the stage and managed to get his feet caught up in leads and fell 100% on his soon-to-be uglier face.

most of mine are just the run of the mill things. coming in late, early or playing the wrong bit. The one I hate the most is waiting to come in (say during an intro) and you suddenly realise that your mind's completely blank. You have no idea what the next riff is and there's just an empty abyss getting closer and closer to you bar by bar.

As for funniest one's I've seen... it's always funny when people's straps fall off. Accidental violence can be funny. Saw the singer from turning 13 step off the end of the stage at Kef once and take a header off the stage floor while trying to compensate. Also when Martin deadloss threw his Les Paul onto the floor and started playing drums on the neck. That was impressive, especially when he picked it up and the headstock stayed on the floor.

borrowed a head and a pedal off my mate paul from afterbirth.

for ages, i could get no sound. couldnt figure out why. everything plugged in, all volume were checked. thought we'd blown amp. spent ages. well, 10 minutes.

Then realised i had guitar lead in 'output' of the pedal and amp lead in 'input' of the pedal.

it was only at a soundcheck anyway.

as for onstage cock-ups, just being tooo drunnk to actually see the dots on my fretboard when playing playing in Drakes last year. was fuckign scary how drunk I was.

Guest DustyDeviada
it's always funny when people's straps fall off.

Why people don't buy strap locks (or even a couple of washers from Grolsch bottles) is beyond me.

Last gig we played, I only realised my guitar was tuned in a different key to the rest of the band about half way through our first song. Quickly swapped it for the spare guitar, which I then dropped as the strap wasn't on properly. Not a great first song, really.

AKM

at the Tunnels, I bust a string on my Eb guitar in the intro of the first song... quickly switched to spare guitar, however it is tuned to standard E so I had to play the rest of the song one fret down haha... quite impressive though I pulled it off...

We then had to play all the other Eb songs in standard E... i think it was just about salvaged!

At the last moorings gig Scorge (drummer) managed to fudge up his new double kick and spent like 5 mins fixing it before we could continue...

an entire gig deadloss played in edinburgh two years ago. we were onstage at 2.30am, to no-one but barstaff, i had food poisioning, the rest of the band were drunk beyond believe (apart from the t-total bass player who walked offstage half way through). but the gents bassist chiristian just wondered onstage and started playing sabbath basslines under the bloody mess that was deadloss. then we sprayed champagne everywhere. fucking horrible it was. :(

every second perth-based punk bands spend onstage is a waste of valuable time too.

I never cock up on stage, ever, I am perfect in every way. Sure the lead comes out, straps fall off, strings go, but the show goes one, the groove continues...

Our drummer however, is always at the front of on stage cock ups.

A string snaps, the old "keep going keep going!!" eyes/whispering happens, suddenly drums stop "SORRY COULDN'T HEAR YOU, FIT YE SAYIN?!" or half way through song he goes "I REALLY NEED A PISS <bolts to toilet>" or that impromptu jazz off beat emphasis fill that throws every one off as it sounds more like our drummer has died and landed on his drum kit than anything resembles rythym....or my best, a gig at the east neuk a while back where we really hadn't practiced before hand as he told me he could learn it all off a tape, the amount of hand signals I had to give "YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING LIKE THIS!! LIKE THIS!!! FASTER!!!" which eventually resulted in him throwin a strop, launching his sticks at the back of my head and leaving the venue. That was the last ever Eradicate gig :D

ONE BULLET, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU SHOOT! > :band:

• 4 weeks later...
Also agreed to play a blues in A at the same alleged jam some weeks later' date=' only for everyone to play in Eb minor, 13/8 time, in demisemiquavers that they had practised for years previously. No, hang on, that's not a cock up, or is it? Anyone else suffered that?[/quote']

That happens to me all the time.

At a gig on Monday I forgot to put a capo on my guitar. I therefore started playing a song in G instead of A flat' date=' which as you can imagine sounded pretty horrible when the rest of the band kicked in.

So make me feel better - what's the worst onstage cock-up you've made or indeed witnessed at a gig?[/quote']

I witnessed that! It was quality!

My own cock ups?

Getting drunk and falling over, this resulted in unplugging the guitar.

Breaking the strings on both my guitars

Recent one, "Hi were Spike Pile Driver" announced Jake, I then turned round and asked how the first song went.

Whilst playing in Undertow at drummonds i broke two strings on one guitar (low e and g) fuck knows how. I whipped out my second guitar only to break my b string on that too. Now it was the second last song of the set and i didn't have a b and i couldn't fucking change two strings that quickly so i sat out the last song at the back like a plug :(

Oh and most embarressing: Walking head on into one of the speakers when i left the stage at Drakes, also whilst in Undertow, and giving myself concussion. I then spent the next song playing jembe out of time with a bemused look on my face as i wasn't quite sure what i was doing......

I dread to think what horrors await me at the first Genevieve gig.

Oh, i forgot this one, another Drummonds gig: Foot on monitor, massive hole in crotch of jeans. Whole front row of people see my penis. Girlfriend at time hangs head in shame and makes me throw away jeans after gig :(

The worst thats ever happened to me was my guitar cable fucking up halfway through a song, so i was getting no sound at all. Whats worse, it just had to happen as the solo was coming up, so all that was heard was drum and bass playing nothing particularly interesting.

Thankfully this was just at school, and not the humiliation of a truly public audience