aberdeen-music

Biggest On-stage Cock-Up?

Guest DustyDeviada

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pop-notmyface
I therefore started playing a song in G instead of A flat' date=' which as you can imagine sounded pretty horrible when the rest of the band kicked in.

[/quote']

half of everyone here couldn't quite imagine i would guess...

Hmm, my worst incident (out of myriad embarassing cock-ups) came at a Fudge/Lithium Records night at O'Donoghues, probably around 2001 or so back in the good old Subsist days.

To qualify the night, let me first say at the time I used a 7-string guitar, which was completely integral to all the songs, plus a huge effects pedal, which was also pretty important.

We arrived about 6 for soundcheck, but due to the organisation, we were the last band, apparently 'headlining'. What this actually meant is that we were supposed to be on around 12 or something, but due to the vast amount of bands playing, the night started overrunning horribly.

It got to 1.30, and Kelebeck Butterfly were still just finishing their set, as a bleary-eyed Subsist looked on with a mixture of rage, exhaustion and bewilderment. The audience had left apart from Kelebeck supporters, and a few friends, leaving about 10 people there. Still, Kelebeck finished, time to get this party started!

It was as I rushed onto the stage I realised I'd forgotten the lead for my effects pedal. My face reddening, I started asking someone, anyone, if they had a replacement.

It was not to be, but the Kelebeck guitarist kindly let me use his effects pedal, which would do. So we get started about 1.45, going straight into our 'hit' song (in that it was once on a Fudge CD) 'Watching me Now'.

We were reborn! Leaping around the stage, taking out our frustration, it felt superb, and as we went into the mid-section, I leaped into the air to kick off the thunderous riff...

...only to see the lead completely bugger the guitar socket as the instrument thudded back onto the ground, disconnecting any sound and finishing off Subsist's set after half-a-song. We'd been waiting around seven hours to play.

Drummer Arron looked bemused, bassist Ollie threw the bass to the ground and stormed off, and, due to the fact that we'd play such a short time, Kelebeck still managed to win the 'audience' vote and take away a bottle of champagne, thanks to the four people they knew who were still left in the venue.

Classy times.