aberdeen-music

Top 3 Drummers

El Pacino

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Collins' date=' no question. Can people get out of this lazy habit of assuming that because he had a crap solo career as a droopy balladeer that he was obviously a crap drummer in the 70s too. Just listen to Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, or a Brand X album.

[/quote']

Can people get out of the habit of telling me that the reason I don't appreciate Phil Collins is because I haven't listened to enough of his early stuff? Believe me I've tried, I've downloaded everything I've been told to, and more, and I still don't get it. I don't think he's very good, you do. That's all.

Anyhoo, I don't think I have a top 3. I have a fairly long list that constantly changes in order depending on my mood. Top of the leaderboard last night was Stephen Perkins. Tonight's winner appears to be Gene Krupa.

Wtf?

No offence to some of you guys but your choice of drummers is utterly appalling. Lars (the 4/4 hero) Ulrich? Travis Barker? Dave Silveira?? Joey Jordison!? Just because you play fast doesnt mean you can play good.. remember!

My list:

1: Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta, unreal timings)

2: Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix Experiance)

3: John Bonham (You already know him.. RIP)

Honorable meantion to Matt Tong of Bloc Party.

Real drummers with real talent who dont rely on a double kick.

No offence to some of you guys but your choice of drummers is utterly appalling. Lars (the 4/4 hero) Ulrich? Travis Barker? Dave Silveira?? Joey Jordison!? Just because you play fast doesnt mean you can play good.. remember!

My list:

1: Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta' date=' unreal timings)

Real drummers with real talent who dont rely on a double kick.[/quote']

travis doesnt use a double kick......

travis doesnt use a double kick......

It was a general statement to the choice of drummers getting picked in the top three' date=' seems like speed and double kick talent is all that matters to some folk.. :rolleyes: But Travis is still guff compared to the elite.

1. Paul Bostaph

2. Joey Jordison

3. Dave Lombardo

Except for Bostaph, that is a nasty list...

Guest Scorge Spike

Based on technical ability, Dave Mackintosh (Dragonforce), Sean Broster (Mithras) and Nick Barker (ex-Dimmu) would pulverise anyone.

Based more on style, I'd pick Stephen Morris (New Order), Neil Peart (Rush), and Jason Rollo (Symphony X ), all three are awesome 'groove' drummers.

My list:

1: Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta' date=' unreal timings)

Real drummers with real talent who dont rely on a double kick.[/quote']

Erm, less of the condescending, muso-intelligenzia shite please. I'm not a huge metal fan, but if you dont think Joey Jordison has "real talent", you frankly dont know your subject. These guys dont "rely" on a double kick to sound good - btw Travis doesnt use one too often - they use it because its a cornerstone of the style they play. Joey Jordison is probably among the best players around these days....maybe he cant play jazz worth a shit, but then again, I doubt Buddy Rich could have played on Iowa either...does that make Buddy crap?

OK rant over...my favourite 3 are:

1. Vinnie Colaiuta

2. Horacio Hernandez

3. Jimmy Chamberlin

Ask me tomorrow and i'll say something different. Honourable mentions also go out to Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Steve Gadd, John Bonham, Dave Weckl, Neil Peart, Tony Royster Jr, Dennis Chambers, Steve White, Steve Smith, Virgil Donati, Chad Smith...the list goes on.

Erm' date=' less of the condescending, muso-intelligenzia shite please. I'm not a huge metal fan, but if you dont think Joey Jordison has "real talent", you frankly dont know your subject. These guys dont "rely" on a double kick to sound good - btw Travis doesnt use one too often - they use it because its a cornerstone of the style they play. Joey Jordison is probably among the best players around these days....maybe he cant play jazz worth a shit, but then again, I doubt Buddy Rich could have played on Iowa either...does that make Buddy crap?

OK rant over...my favourite 3 are:

1. Vinnie Colaiuta

2. Horacio Hernandez

3. Jimmy Chamberlin

Ask me tomorrow and i'll say something different. Honourable mentions also go out to Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Steve Gadd, John Bonham, Dave Weckl, Neil Peart, Tony Royster Jr, Dennis Chambers, Steve White, Steve Smith, Virgil Donati, Chad Smith...the list goes on.[/quote']

Yeah yeah .. :rolleyes: As said before the double kick comment was a general referance, not just to Travis.. And I know my subject buddy.. dont worry about it. I just think people are ready to suck Joey's tobe in a hurry due to his speed. He's good aye, but there are far greater metal drummers out there.. Kevin Tally (former Dying Fetus) comes straight to mind. Listen to most Death cd's (featuring the late great Chuck Schuldiner on guitar, RIP), they tear Joey a new A.

Yeah yeah .. :rolleyes: As said before the double kick comment was a general referance' date=' not just to Travis.. And I know my subject buddy.. dont worry about it. I just think people are ready to suck Joey's tobe in a hurry due to his speed. He's good aye, but there are far greater metal drummers out there.. Kevin Tally (former Dying Fetus) comes straight to mind. Listen to most Death cd's (featuring the late great Chuck Schuldiner on guitar, RIP), they tear Joey a new A.[/quote']

did anyone who said he was good say it was to do with his speed?

Personelly i think he is an amazing drumer, and he is no where near the fastest i have seen.

Cozy Powell - the first drummer I ever saw live that really amazed me

Fucking hell!! I haven't heard that name in a lon long time!! Not since I used to power round my bedroom as a 9 year old with my tennis racket listening to Rainbow!!

That man was a legend!! Very sad when he died.

:down: