aberdeen-music

Girl Drummers - yay or nay?

Guest valley69

Guest valley69

Our drummer gets a lot of stick for being a lass. People say stuff like' girls just arent built for drums ' or 'girls dont have rythm'. To be honest i think such statements are utter bollocks and that a good drummer is someone who can keep a good rythm , has a good sense of creativty and doesnt go too over the top, regardless if they have tits or not.

What the fuck do you think?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if they're male or female. if they can play the drums thats the main point. although i can't think of too many awesome female drummers, Gemma from Babyshambles and the chicks from the Donnas and the Halo Friendlies being the only ones that spring to mind.

Maybe girls don't play through ridicule, which would be a shame. I'm all for it, Go Ladies!!!

:up:

As I've stated before, I like REALLY basic drummers, male or female. I'm a fan of drummers like Laura from the Shop Assistants, Maureen Tucker (Velvets), Honey from the Honeycombs, Dave Clark etc. In fact I reckon drummers should just be given a floor tom and told to get on with it! The smiley drummer here is just about right I think > :band:

Guest valley69
Who cares if they're male or female. if they can play the drums thats the main point. although i can't think of too many awesome female drummers' date=' Gemma from Babyshambles and the chicks from the Donnas and the Halo Friendlies being the only ones that spring to mind.

Maybe girls don't play through ridicule, which would be a shame. I'm all for it, Go Ladies!!!

:up:[/quote']

Yeah, i dont think drums are really considered a female kinda instrument. Infact to be honest any band with a girl in it ,regardless of what they play, its usually them that gets emphasised in band photo shots(providing they have the sex appeal) just cos sex sells. I think its shit but its just the type of society we live in.

Guest stuartmaxwell

caroline from seafood is hot but she cant drum worth a toss

cat on form used to have a chick drummer, she was alright mind you

i personally think chick drummers that i have seen are tres poor, they dont hit the things properly. i also find that their cymbal work is shocking

sweeping generalisation or what??

Guest valley69
caroline from seafood is hot but she cant drum worth a toss

cat on form used to have a chick drummer' date=' she was alright mind you

i personally think chick drummers that i have seen are tres poor, they dont hit the things properly. i also find that their cymbal work is shocking

sweeping generalisation or what??[/quote']

tut tut tut mr maxwell.Its not like you to create a bit of contraversy in a thread..

do i detect a bit of sexism? :)

I've never come across a female drummer who can paradiddle-diddle across the whole set of toms. Or one that can tell the difference between a drag and a flam. However, like was already mentioned earlier in this thread, less really is more on a drumkit. Save the fancy stuff for Lars Ulrich and everyone with rythm can play drums.

(Chicks look better playing the bone flute!)8o

Sue.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Our drummer gets a lot of stick for being a lass

this is not true

she gets stick because she has played drums for about 2 months and is playing in a "high profile" (dont know the right word to use) band within aberdeen

not causing any kind of contreversy at all, not being offensive, not being nasty etc just pointing out that nobody is being sexist when talking about rhalianainalaiania

:up:

Guest valley69
this is not true

she gets stick because she has played drums for about 2 months and is playing in a "high profile" (dont know the right word to use) band within aberdeen

not causing any kind of contreversy at all' date=' not being offensive, not being nasty etc just pointing out that nobody is being sexist when talking about rhalianainalaiania

:up:[/quote']

maxwell u fucking tart. We are not high profile. Rhalina does needs a boot up the arse though!

The Whitestripes drummer is terrible, the Corrs drummer is also terrible, she plays like she is learning. I have never heard or know of any proper technical drummers like Joey Slipknot, Gene Hoglan, Nick Barker etc. Im not saying there arent any, if their are please tell me because I would love to hear them. :up:

Our jazz band have a female drummer. She has been in it longer than I have, and it seems that she hasn't improved a bit

It could just be that it is a practise or interest issue between male and female drummers. but every time i have seen or heard a band with a girl behind the kit, it sounds like they either dont really have a fucking clue what they are doing and their mind is somewhere else, or they just make a horrible racket. This hasnt got anything to do with a gender issue, because any "drummer" can sound shite. I just think its more easier for people to slag off a band's drum sound due to the drummer being female, because the ratio of male to female drummers isnt exactly equal, or simply because there are a lot of misogynists, not like i am seperating myself from that, because i know i am a sexist prick:)

I know a girl from Edinburgh who's an utter machine at playing the drums - she can easily hold her own, but then again, she left school (to be homeschooled) so she'd have more time playing said drums - and she really does know what she's doing behind a kit. I used to find her practicing from 6-10pm at night, plus any other practice she could get away with during the day, and usually as much as she could at the weekend - but then again, what do you expect from someone who learnt how to play van halen songs on drums just because someone bet her that she couldn't play them?