aberdeen-music

Girl Drummers - yay or nay?

Guest valley69

All of these are amazing pieces of playing' date=' and I have many influences, but i think its folly to say that there is amazing drumming across every genre, as often, say in a pop-tune, a session musician will just be asked to lay down, a simple, solid 4/4 groove. This fits with the song, and is all that is required, BUT is not amazing.[/quote']

Are you saying there has never been any amazing drumming in pop music?

I could name 20 local or pro female drummers that I've heard that arent just good' date=' but excellent players.[/quote']

Like who?

Not arguing, btw, just interested...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible playing yes' date=' but......A lot of the great drummers of today, whether it be a technical superstar like Thomas Lang and Minneman. Or a complete groove-orientated guy Like Weckl Portnoy, Porcaro or Colaiuta they tend to be foundin one or two pockets of music.

I am not attempting to be biased here, but in certain genres (not in all cases) it is the trend, that perhaps say in progressive rock, there will be far more scope for more interesting, technical, and groovy beats. In black metal we can see 300bpm 16ths on the feet. In swing interesting ride patterns are often found. Or nice half-time shuffles in some country.

All of these are amazing pieces of playing, and I have many influences, but i think its folly to say that there is amazing drumming across every genre, as often, say in a pop-tune, a session musician will just be asked to lay down, a simple, solid 4/4 groove. This fits with the song, and is all that is required, BUT is not amazing.[/quote']

Folly? That is just where you're missing the point. A drummer doesnt have to play 300bpm blastbeats or a Buddy-style jazz solo for it to be a great drum track. Displaying mind-boggling technique is just one ingredient to a great piece of drumming, and while it's a fair point to say that pop songs dont often lend themselves to that kind of drumming, there are hundreds of examples of pop tracks where someone has used a basic groove in an interesting way, and made it into a classic track. It's not fancy or flash, but it IS a great piece of drumming.

Like who?

Not arguing' date=' btw, just interested...[/size']

To name but a few...

Sheila E - used to play with Prince.

Cindy Blackman - Lenny Kravitz

Sam Maloney - Hole

Vera Figuiredo - latin player, played in a Bruce Millers drum clinic a few years ago.

Terri Lynne Carrington - jazz session player

As for local players, god knows what their names are but I've deffo seen some good players over the years....maybe not super-flash, but played more for the song than some of the self-indulgent crap I've seen from a lot of blokes, oh, and my ex-drum teacher was a bird. She got her grade-8 performance, studied at Drumtech in London and is frankly a shitload better than most of us will ever be.

Folly? That is just where you're missing the point. A drummer doesnt have to play 300bpm blastbeats or a Buddy-style jazz solo for it to be a great drum track. Displaying mind-boggling technique is just one ingredient to a great piece of drumming' date=' and while it's a fair point to say that pop songs dont often lend themselves to that kind of drumming, there are hundreds of examples of pop tracks where someone has used a basic groove in an interesting way, and made it into a classic track. It's not fancy or flash, but it IS a great piece of drumming.[/quote']

But do remember, we are discussing "amazing" drumming, I guess its all personal preference. I, of course, enjoy plenty of tracks layed down. "Its not about what you play its what you don't." - wise words. But seeing as i beleived we were dicussing amazing drumming, I personally do not find in general, a lot of pop-drumming to be amazing. Hell, thomas lang played with B*Witched hes amazing but noty for the tracks he l;aiod down with them. Hes not the grooviest of players. I was not denying them being good drum tracks. But they do not amaze me too frequently. I think we were lookng at it from 2 diffrent angles.

No. Hence my explaining that the trends were not to have been amazing.

I mean, take sting, Colaiuta is a beast. Thats amazing. But I feel that to be exceptional.,