aberdeen-music

Girl Drummers - yay or nay?

Guest valley69

Guest neil ex
I 'spoke' to her when she was here last time. I didn't wan't to go and see her this time' date=' one heart'brake' is enough.

[/quote']

If you got her number you could've given her a 'ring'. She does have a habit of 'braking' people's hearts though. She just finds these situations hard to 'handle'.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil ex

Uh oh! I haven't read any of this thread. I was just continuing the bike puns. Alan's post did confuse me a little!

I might go read it now, if I do I'll let you know if I feel foolish.

EDIT -

You could maybe save me sometime as this threads long and it doesn't interest me too much?

(have I just furthered my stupidity? I don't get it) :help:

Uh oh! I haven't read any of this thread. I was just continuing the bike puns. Alan's post did confuse me a little!

I might go read it now' date=' if I do I'll let you know if I feel foolish.

EDIT -

You could maybe save me sometime as this threads long and it doesn't interest me too much?

(have I just furthered my stupidity? I don't get it) :help:[/quote']

Sorry, I just noticed this post, new browser (my excuse anyway)

I was pointing out that we'd done all those jokes.

Alan's right though, I was just looking for an excuse to use the word tube.

• 3 weeks later...
I have to say out of most of the female Drummers i have heard' date=' i have only heard one who is roughly up to standard, which shows alot of hope for girls out there. In my opinion, if you wanna hear real amazing drumming listen to jazz solo drummers and metal drummers.

:gringo:

Adios[/quote']

Sorry, have to say that comment is a lot of shite from start to finish. Define "up to standard".....I could name 20 local or pro female drummers that I've heard that arent just good, but excellent players. Sure, they arent as numerous as bloke drummers, but there's plenty of fucking good ones.

And no, jazz and metal are not where amazing drumming is at......you can see incredible playing across every musical genre, without exception.

Dee from 5FD is a great drummer. I've already had this conversation tonight but I stand by said opinion! :)

hhhmm i was about to say the opposite in fact

first few times i saw them i didnt think she was too bad but last time i saw them play she just sounded a bit awful!!

but having said that....it could have just been an off night and i dont really know so much about drumming

but i think its fair to say that making a generlisation like "all girls are rubbish drummers" is complete and utter shit.....i hate generalisations!

And no' date=' jazz and metal are not where amazing drumming is at......you can see incredible playing across every musical genre, without exception.[/quote']

Incredible playing yes, but......A lot of the great drummers of today, whether it be a technical superstar like Thomas Lang and Minneman. Or a complete groove-orientated guy Like Weckl Portnoy, Porcaro or Colaiuta they tend to be foundin one or two pockets of music.

I am not attempting to be biased here, but in certain genres (not in all cases) it is the trend, that perhaps say in progressive rock, there will be far more scope for more interesting, technical, and groovy beats. In black metal we can see 300bpm 16ths on the feet. In swing interesting ride patterns are often found. Or nice half-time shuffles in some country.

All of these are amazing pieces of playing, and I have many influences, but i think its folly to say that there is amazing drumming across every genre, as often, say in a pop-tune, a session musician will just be asked to lay down, a simple, solid 4/4 groove. This fits with the song, and is all that is required, BUT is not amazing.