aberdeen-music

Girl Drummers - yay or nay?

Guest valley69

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drummer in my band, Ailsa (also in Norman's Fetish) is an excellent drummer. Queen of the fills.

Lucy from Broken Sunshine can hold a rhythm, and is actually very good when she has something difficult to do.

Dee from 5FD is just ace.

So in Aberdeen, i wouldn't say we have a problem with female drummers.

Well I was actually but the bottle was finished so I had to get what I could from the toilet!

I wasn't talking about bottles....I meant Shawn!!!!!

Stuart made me realise how little I've seen of local female drummers. The only ones I knew were Rhalina (Cuts), Arlene (ex-Deviadas one) and that butch looking one in the Staccato Set.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
The drummer in my band' date=' Ailsa (also in Norman's Fetish) is an excellent drummer. Queen of the fills.

Lucy from Broken Sunshine can hold a rhythm, and is actually very good when she has something difficult to do.

Dee from 5FD is just ace.

So in Aberdeen, i wouldn't say we have a problem with female drummers.[/quote']

nope nope and nope.

Our drummer gets a lot of stick for being a lass. People say stuff like' girls just arent built for drums ' or 'girls dont have rythm'. To be honest i think such statements are utter bollocks and that a good drummer is someone who can keep a good rythm ' date=' has a good sense of creativty and doesnt go too over the top, regardless if they have tits or not.

What the fuck do [b']you think?

Yes, girls can play drums. For example, Sheila E (ex-Prince), Cindy Blackman (Lenny Kravitz), Samantha Maloney (Hole).

About 8 years ago, Bruce Millers' put on a drum clinic in Aberdeen and there was some Brazilian latin drummer called Vera Figuiredo who played at it, and she was fucking amazing.

Yes, Meg White is technically fucking terrible.....but so what. She plays for the music, keeps solid time, and frankly if she didnt play the way she does, the Whitestripes wouldnt sound as good as they do....it's the stripped down sound that does it. I'm sure she knows she's not the best, but i suspect that with millions of $$$ in the bank she doesnt give a fuck.

Lastly, there are some piss-poor blokes that play in famous bands too. They play what is needed for the song and no more, and thats why they get away with it.....Ringo Starr is the obvious example, Again, I doubt very much that he gives a fuck that he stinks.

Charlie Watts (Stones), Tony McCarroll (ex-Oasis) also spring to mind.

I've never come across a female drummer who can paradiddle-diddle across the whole set of toms. Or one that can tell the difference between a drag and a flam. However' date=' like was already mentioned earlier in this thread, less really is more on a drumkit. Save the fancy stuff for Lars Ulrich and everyone with rythm can play drums.

(Chicks look better playing the bone flute!)8o

Sue.[/quote']

Lars Ulrich aint that "fancy". He's a fantastic writer, and has written some great drum parts, but he's technically way behind most other metal drummers. Lars' technique is only notable for double-bass work.....and there are many metal drummers that play more complex stuff than he does with Metallica....eg. Vinnie Paul, Igor Cavalera, Dave Lombardo, Joey Jordison etc etc.

I'm not saying he's shite, cos he's not.....he's just far from the best.

She's stayed off the gear this time' date=' but some folks tried to Deraill'er. Or at least de-stabilise 'er by pedalling some weird shit. It could turn her into a 'basket' case.

She doesn't NEED drugs....she's beautiful, for forks sake! I think we shoud 'raleigh' round to help her.[/quote']

We're they offering to 'chopper' out a line?