aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

The Uruguayan media are taking a different angle on the potential biting incident:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/25/fifa-opens-disciplinary-proccedings-over-luis-suarez-bite

I read this last night, which is from a while ago but is quite interesting regarding how he's perceived in Uruguay: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

-edit- that sentence reads like a robot wrote it.

Edited by kirsten

Unfortunately I've only been able to see highlights of Colombia so far. Rodriguez looks good though.

Neymar and Messi are two obvious ones as they've had standout moments that have been very important for their teams.

Robben has been great for Holland.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Robben has indeed been great. He's always been able to perform whatever the game. Really annoying with his trademark flappy hand + cut inside but gets results for the teams he plays for.

Messi today was awesome. he underperformed in the first game and aside from a piece of magic wasn't all that good in the 2nd. But that's what makes a player great... the ability to make such an important contribution despite not playing well.

J-Rod has been at the heart of everything that Colombia team has done. Seems to get the best out of those around him and has crazy confidence for his age. Some of his passes have been superb. I'm rooting for Colombia in the knockouts just to see more of him.

Messi today was awesome. he underperformed in the first game and aside from a piece of magic wasn't all that good in the 2nd. But that's what makes a player great... the ability to make such an important contribution despite not playing well.

This is true although i think he was actually pretty good against Iran but it was of little use as so many of his team mates were off form. Anyway I think he should get a break because he had some great performances last world cup which were overlooked just because he didn't score.

Player of the tournament so far?

For me it's James Rodriguez. Had no clue he was that good. Looks like a total star.

JR has been great. He really should be playing at a level higher than Monaco. Seeing him, Moutinho and Falcao move to a newly promoted Ligue Un side last summer was a bit disappointing. It's all about the dollar bills, when all three of them could be playing for just about any top European side. I hope JR at least makes a more ambitious move this summer.

Robben and Muller have been great too. Muller is great at scoring goals whilst looking like he's barely even broken a sweat. Jogging about with his socks rolled down. His life is just one big after school kickabout.

Alot of unsung heroes as well. Enner Valencia looked dangerous, and it's a shame Ecuador have gone out, as he was playing well, in a team not really laced with talent. Hector Herrera has been great. Aranguiz, Blind and Joel Cambell too. There'll be lots of World Cup players on the move this summer, I bet.

Joel Campbell will surely get a chance at Arsenal next year? He's looking really dangerous; there'll no doubt be a couple of clubs in for him after the World Cup.

The English red tops have been playing it up like they've just never known he was good.  We knew he was good but needed experience and he had a really good year in Greece before the WC started.

He only got his work permit last July so the loans before the last one all had to be done.  He'll be a good rotation option next year and all the cup games I'd imagine.