aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I was half watching the England Scotland game whilst listening to a thrilling 2-2 draw between Welling and Cambridge. Good to see Scotland can still raise their game when playing the auld enemy.  Strachan seems to have injected a bit of fire in the Scots belly after the disaster fest that was Craig 'dullest man in the universe' Levein. Someone on Talksport made the rather good suggestion of scrapping the community shield and replacing it with a yearly England Scotland match with all the proceeds going to charity.  As I remember from the old days you were almost guaranteed a cracking match as there is such a desire to win.  Some cracking goals, fairy tale stuff from Lambert who played many years in the lower leagues and gets his debut aged 31!

I thought Kenny Miller was excellent last night, and yes - I'm happy to admit that I did curse his inclusion before the game.

Forrest struggled a wee bit, would have liked to have seen Chris Burke on in his place at the beginning of the second half, rather than Craig Conway (headless chicken, anyone?) later on. I thought Hanley and Martin for all their limitations did pretty well, Whittaker's a liability.

Morrison/Brown did a decent job on Gerrard/Wilshere/Lampard and Snodgrass looked good.

Great delivery by Baines/header by Lambert but we'd obviously not sorted out our marking at set pieces following England's changes, because it was Scott Brown picking Lambert up when really it should have been someone a bit bigger and better in the air (this changed to Charlie Mulgrew for the remainder of the game).

All-in a pretty good performance and like Milner says the sign of a huge improvement under WGS.

Cracking game. We did ourselves proud but ultimately lost to the better team. If we play like that in every match we won't go too far wrong.

After many false starts, I finally went along to meet up with the "Dublin Tartan Army" at the pub they go to to watch every Scotland game. I guess a combination of the game being pretty nearby, plus being on free TV affected the numbers a little. Turned out to be me and one other guy. 

Scott Brown was an absolute beast when he didn't have to mark anyone at set-pieces. I thought he had a brilliant game.

Whittaker concerns me. I think if we'd started with Mulgrew or even Danny Fox at left-back, there'd be a wee bit more pace there. Not saying much more, but enough to maybe force Walcott into tighter angles.

Still, Strachan's made some difference. Christ knows how bad that could've been under Levein or Burley.

Scott Brown was an absolute beast when he didn't have to mark anyone at set-pieces. I thought he had a brilliant game.

Whittaker concerns me. I think if we'd started with Mulgrew or even Danny Fox at left-back, there'd be a wee bit more pace there. Not saying much more, but enough to maybe force Walcott into tighter angles.

Still, Strachan's made some difference. Christ knows how bad that could've been under Levein or Burley.

Yep, I agree that Brown had an excellent game and wasn't really blaming him for the goal or anything.

I would hope that Whittaker wasn't our first pick when everyone is fit - Phil Bardsley is our best option IMO, or alternatively I hope Lee Wallace gets a move from Rangers that will test him at the highest level every week. Mulgrew offers even less pace than Whittaker so although his distribution is far better I'm not sure if that would have realistically made a difference - Walcott's and Walker's pace really caused the issue.

Under Levein we'd have had Gary Kenneth and Christophe Berra at centre back. So, clearly far better.

Villa have a poor record of continuing the development of their young players who show promise. Agbonlahor was going to be "the next Wayne Rooney" at one point. Martin O'Neill tipped Ashley Young to be as good as Ronaldo. That was far fetched, but I still think had the potential to be better than he currently is. Remember when The Sun were linking Marc Albrighton to Real Madrid?! He looked great in his debut season. Rinsing every full back. What happened to him? Bannan looked great in his first season too, when he was playing in midfield with Johnathan Hogg. I don't even know who Hogg plays for now, and Bannan looks like he'll be edged out of the team.They tend to not persevere with young talents, and just give them a season and a half, then bring in more young players. I don't have the stats, but I would bet their squad has one of the highest turnovers in the league, just as a guess.

Anyone seen the comments David Moyes made about the fixture list??? Basically moaning saying it's 'hard to believe' the champions would get such a tough start! Shut the fuck up you idiot and get on with it, you have to play everyone twice simple as that!  Sure Sir Alex has given Moyes his little black book of ready made excuses!  Moyes sounds like he's feeling the pressure already before a league ball has been kicked!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23710359

• Upvote 2

I like Moyes. I want him to do well. I always thought he showed alot of dignity at Everton. Wasn't really a moaner to the extent of Fergie. All managers moan, but not everyone goes completely mental like Fergie, such as when Williams' atemmpted murder on Van Persie, etc.

Still. Fixtures are fixtures. You have to play everyone twice. The most important run of fixtures, in my opinion, is the run in. A difficult start is much more preferable to a difficult finish. United's finish looks favourable over Chelsea and City. Pipe down Davey, and get on with it.

I have to sat I quite like Moyes too (he is an ex Cambridge player after all!) I think he is a bit out of his depth at the moment but think in the long term he will find his feet and do a good job at United.  It's such a change from being manager of a club where little is expected of you and punching above your weight.

As I type Cambridge are top of the conference, probably wont be for long in fact maybe not even by the time the match finishes so I thought I'd get that in!

A lot tipped Swansea to make light work of United today, and that Moyes would struggle. United went 3-0 up and Twitter dicks are changing their tune to "Yeah well... It's still Fergie's team. He can't take credit for the win". It's a shame so many are desperate for him to fail.

Edited by Joda Serk

The ref had a shocker if you watch the whole of that game.  No consistency with bookings or even decisions.  How Vlaar was still on the pitch is a mystery that only he can answer.  It was never a penalty and therefore never a red card either but...

Arsenal set themselves up for this.  A squad of 15 senior players fit on opening day is nothing short of pathetic.  Clearing out the "deadwood" as they did is all well and good but the need for investment is clear.  The excuses that have come out of the Arsenal higher ups are pathetic so far.  "We are working very hard", "The market hasn't moved as we expected", "We are looking for quality not quantity".  They need to make the market move!  Clearly you aren't working hard enough and now with Ox likely out at least 2 months to 4 we need quantity and quality!  It'll take 100 million pounds to fix this mess.

The board, Gazidis and especially Wenger should be ashamed of themselves.  Banging on about having money to spend and sending out a squad like that on opening day is an embarrassment.  But maybe missing out on their precious Champions League cash cow is exactly what they need to wake up.

We'll see what's happened in 2 weeks time but right now it's a disgrace.

Arsenal are in a mess just now. I expect another shopping spree of Podolski / Arteta-esque players at the deadline, decent solid players who add depth rather than any real quality coming in that can push them back up towards the top three. There are some good players in the team, but they're missing an Henry / Van Persie / Viera type who can win games on his own (which admittedly doesn't come along every day) and there's no depth at all. If Cazorla or Giroud pick up an injury they're going to struggle, and there's very little cover for most of the other positions.

There will be some opportunities for Gnabry and Eisfeld (who are both pretty decent attacking midfielders) this season and i'd imagine Miyaichi and Sanogo will get a decent chunk of game time as well but even Arsenlol's reserves are lacking a little quality at the moment.

You don't win things with kids though. Some guy said that once. 

Gnarby and Zelalem.  I want to see them get some game time, huge talent.  No talented young central defenders though, sadly.

I reckon 4 players will come in now.  How good I don't know.  There are still a lot of great players "available" if you're willing to pay the market price (which Wenger doesn't seem to want to I.E. Gustavo, Higuain etc all too expensive for how good they are he decided).