aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Can you tell which players Paul Lambert wants rid of?

Given, N'Zogbia, Bent, Ireland, Hutton and Bannan have been given the squad numbers 35, 36, 39, 40, 41, 42 respectively. I do this in FM when I'm trying to shift players on and don't want to mess up my numbering!

Classic Champ ploy. You don't want to be signing a hot talent to the club and assigning them the number 38 shirt.

Some of those players are quite good though, shame for Villa fans that Lambert doesn't like them.

I quite like that. He has a vision of what he wants from Villa and I'm pretty convinced it will pay off. Excellent manager.

You have massive earners there, if he can shift them out then that will help financially. But he's been given the opportunity to bring in his own players too, hard working young players from the lower leagues combined with the likes of Bentekkers and experience in Vlaar. They obviously struggled last season, but I predict a comfortable mid-table finish this time round.

I feel odd for saying this but does anyone else think Downing is actually a good signing for West Ham?

Big Sam is the manager and as much as he likes to think his team plays good football they are built to hump the ball forward near/in the box.  

Downing and Noble both have very good deliveries from wide.  They've got chickenwings coming forward from the midfield with goals, Big Andy in the box who is a monster in the air and a total engine in midfield in Diame.

Plus Joe Cole if he is healthy enough to be good at football again.

Top 10?  I think so.

I feel odd for saying this but does anyone else think Downing is actually a good signing for West Ham?

Big Sam is the manager and as much as he likes to think his team plays good football they are built to hump the ball forward near/in the box.  

Downing and Noble both have very good deliveries from wide.  They've got chickenwings coming forward from the midfield with goals, Big Andy in the box who is a monster in the air and a total engine in midfield in Diame.

Plus Joe Cole if he is healthy enough to be good at football again.

Top 10?  I think so.

I would say he is a great signing for them, with Carol upfront, and Downing being allowed to actually cross, whereas at Liverpool he was played on the right and told to cut in, they will score plenty of goals, and have a big threat going forward. Big Sam knows his stuff, despite what gets leveled at him. 

Downing is unremarkable at just about everything on a football pitch, except crossing. Perhaps Liverpool's game didn't put him in many crossing positions and was expected to be some sort of continental playmaker, which make him look a bit shite. Great and twatting it in to the box though. And with absolutely gargantuan bonces like Andy Carroll, James Collins, Kevin Nolan and Modibo Maiga to aim for, it's going to be raining goals.

Ravel Morrison has been kicking the fuck out of pre-season. He looks like he's stopped acting like the 50 Cent of Salford, and got his head down into his actual profession. It's been a while since he's called anyone a "faggot" or been seen in public threatening people with guns, so you can say they are positive steps. Scored a buttload of pre-season goals too. I think it could be a good year for him. Supremely talented kid. He was above and beyond Paul Pogba in terms of what he was capable of for United's academy, but then he started punching his girlfriend in the face and it all went downhill. Hope he pulls himself together and makes it.

'Ammers have also signed Razvan Rat from Shakhtar Donetsk too. He was a very solid squad player for them. Good signing. Decent full back, and again, more width to play to their strengths.

I still think Matt Jarvis is one of the most under appreciated players on EARTH. I get LOLed at when I say he should play for England, yet Ashley Young ain't got shit on Jarvis, though gets picked consistently. Jarvis for England.

West Ham will finish top half easy.

Im hopping on the West-Ham-as-conneiseur's-choice too. When they signed Rat I had visions of long balls up to carroll. Rat's distributiom from deep is phenomenal. Downing got a hard time at liverpool but ive never thought he was anything other than a very effective winger. The Jarvis love is justified too. They will no doubt implode and do a villa but the potential is there.

Fulham is the other team to o look out for. Taraabt, berba, ruiz is a formidable force if they all can be arsed at once. Martin Jol is likeable too.

Also, I know it's pretty obvious, but if Spurs do manage to keep hold of Bale and he's mentally stable then they've got a massive chance of doing something this year (especially now they've shipped the Dempseye).

Their starting XI is incredible with the return of Kaboul/Sandro from long-term injury. They arguably need a left back tho. BAE's a bit of a liability (he hates football, after all), and I don't think Danny Rose is good enough. Unless Vertonghen plays there, actually. Yes, let's play him there.

Lloris

Walker - Kaboul - Dawson - Vertonghen

Sandro - Dembele

Lennon - Paulinho - Bale

Soldado

iconsex-poundit.gif

• Upvote 1

Also, I know it's pretty obvious, but if Spurs do manage to keep hold of Bale and he's mentally stable then they've got a massive chance of doing something this year (especially now they've shipped the Dempseye).

Their starting XI is incredible with the return of Kaboul/Sandro from long-term injury. They arguably need a left back tho. BAE's a bit of a liability (he hates football, after all), and I don't think Danny Rose is good enough. Unless Vertonghen plays there, actually. Yes, let's play him there.

Lloris

Sandro - Dembele

Lennon - Paulinho - Bale

Soldado

iconsex-poundit.gif

Swap Pauliinho with Dembele and you've got yourself a team. I would still play Assou-Ekotto though, purely because Vertonghen is so effective on both ends of the park in that central defensive position. Also, BAE's link-up play with Bale was excellent at times.

This season is chubby-inducing. There have been a number of shrewd signings rather than marquee ones.

Wilfried Bony and Jonjo Shelvey to Swansea - this is perhaps the most exciting. Bony is a beast and Shelvey just needs to be in a team where he's a key player and he'll blossom.

Schurrrrrlllee and De Bruyne (he was bought ages ago right?) at chelsea - and lukaku in peak form.

Fernandinho, navas, negredo, jovetivic at City - all fantastic players who im confident will perform

Van Wolfswinkel at Norwich - that's an amazing signing.

Fulham got a shit hot goalie whose name i'm not gonna even try type

Remy at Newcastle

West ham we talked about

Zaha is gonna be awesome

the list goes on...

I think Fulham might struggle. They were utter pants for for seemed like forever at the back end of last season. They be bothered just enough to stay safe again but  Idon't see them troubling the top half. 

I hope the new teams can make a good go of it but I think it might be the weakest 3 to come up in some time.

Lloris

Sandro - Dembele

Lennon - Paulinho - Bale

Soldado

iconsex-poundit.gif

It'll be:

Lloris

Walker-Vertonghen-Kaboul(Dawson)-Rose

Sandro-Paulinho

Lennon-Dembele-Bale

Soldado

Lloris

Sandro - Dembele

Lennon - Paulinho - Bale

Soldado

iconsex-poundit.gif

Spurs have done a great job so far this summer, does feel like they are replacing  before they sell Bale though.  I'd be surprised if he is there come September and frankly if they are receiving 100million offers they should sell him because that is silly money.

If they are without Bale I still think with what they've done the team will be better than last year and wont be as reliant on one man to win them the games.

Spurs lost their American so I can't legitimately call them my team this year. Except if Friedel is still there? But I want them to do well. They've spent well, sold well and they play good football. Soldado is my pick for top scorer this year (cue him being a total flop). If Bale stays, it's gonna be amazing seeing them link up around the box. Soldado's game seems to be suited to the tight one-two around the perimeter approach that Adebayor fails miserably at. Bale and Lennon having someone like him to play it inside to is an exciting prospect.

I guess I'll have to support Sunderland. Altidore is an odd one. He was ferocious last year, struggled at Hull the year before and has been unbelievable for USMNT. I can't see him getting as many goals so easily in the premier league. Every time I've seen him he looks like he takes an extra yard to get his shots off, which he wont get in the Prem. 

Fuck, then there's Juan Agudelo at Stoke. That's an exciting prospect too. Saw him play with Terry Henry's mob a couple years ago and he looked a cut above everyone else. He doesnt move till January though.

Speaking of Downing, I'm sure I read somewhere he had the stat last season (or the year before) for the most chances created in EPL? They were all just wasted though. That could be, and probably will be utter bollocks information but im sure I read this.

In other news, Strachan out...