aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

So they bid 10 mill for Cabaye? 

Looks aside, Cabaye is just a GOOD player. He's not a game-winning marquee signing in my opinion and he's not the type of player Arsenal need to be looking at right now. He'll come in, play pretty well, score a few goals, set a few up but basically toddle along like Arteta - not changing the course of destiny at the club.

They need to (unfortunately) pay a bit over the odds for a player that will bring some much needed excitement to the club, whether he plays well in reality or not.

I read an article about the Galacticos era at Real a while back that basically said that to the club's ownership it didn't matter all that much how the star players performed, it was more about asserting authority, showing the fans they mean business and generally ensuring the club stays at the top of everyone's consciousness. (beyond that there's the shirt sales and marketing opportunities that bring in the actual profit)

Arsenal need a bit of that at the moment. Splash some cash, get the focus off the board and manager for a moment and deal with the consequences later. It's a pretty sad reflection of modern football but that's just the way it is. Wenger's attempt to metaphorically 'pass' his way out of trouble isn't working, he needs to 'hoof it out' so to speak.

• Upvote 1

I don't really agree. He's exactly what they need in midfield. He's a solid midfielder that can play instead of or with Arteta. Cabaye also has a little bit of nastiness about him which they could use. He's not my number 1 choice by a bit but he'd very much do a job.

The marquee signing they need is an attacking player. A striker or someone to play behind Giroud.

I don't really agree. He's exactly what they need in midfield. He's a solid midfielder that can play instead of or with Arteta. Cabaye also has a little bit of nastiness about him which they could use. He's not my number 1 choice by a bit but he'd very much do a job.

The marquee signing they need is an attacking player. A striker or someone to play behind Giroud.

I mean sure, get him in and add some depth to the squad if they can, but this level of signing won't cut it if they do the same in all positions.

No I agree with that. But midfield is the least of the worries at the moment. He'd do nicely.

Goalkeeper defender and big name forward please.

My worry as an arsenal fan would be Wenger signing 3 more cabaye's, buying himself a little bit of time, the results fade, the iffy performances continue and the same thing happens all over again like last season.

I had question marks next to Giroud and Podolski last season. Cazorla I thought would be great and he pretty much is.

Seasons past, Chamakh I thought was gonna light up the league (after seeing him at Bordeaux - and i STILL think he's capable of being a top top top top striker) but that hasn't panned out.

Arshavin is Arshavin.

Point is, he's ridden his luck with what i'd call 'tier 2' signings the past few years. I think his Vieira/Henry/Overmars/Bergkamp/Pires CV has given people a lot more patience and trust in his decisions but the market has changed since then when he was pretty much the only manager using in-depth statistical analysis and 'science' to find the right players. Nowadays it's standard procedure and other clubs have caught up.

Also strong rumours that Willian and Lamela could be on the way to Spurs with Willian getting confirmed tonight.

What a team.  That's stronger than the one with Bale on paper by a fair bit.

Willian is decent, but Lamela is mint. Thats an ultra strong team if true, though I don't know they are going to get everyone a game.

Willian is decent, but Lamela is mint. Thats an ultra strong team if true, though I don't know they are going to get everyone a game.

Good thing, tho. Strength in depth is what sets the 'big' teams apart from the rest. Last season Spurs really suffered with injuries, particularly those to Sandro and Kaboul IMO.

Levy will also look at Arsenal and see this as a big opportunity to take and cement 'fourth biggest team in the league'. Exciting times. Arsenal are shite; them and Liverpool are such good entertainment.

He's acted better than Suarez. But, that's a weird sentence to say, and shouldn't really be any sort of marker for good behavior. It should just be something that is true for most people, at all times.

Good thing, tho. Strength in depth is what sets the 'big' teams apart from the rest. Last season Spurs really suffered with injuries, particularly those to Sandro and Kaboul IMO.

Levy will also look at Arsenal and see this as a big opportunity to take and cement 'fourth biggest team in the league'. Exciting times. Arsenal are shite; them and Liverpool are such good entertainment.

Strength in depth is important, but I think the difficulty is distinguishing starters from squad players. They look to have built up a very good team of individuals, but I can't imagine who is going to be deemed as a back up player. There's so many good players available there, more so if they bag Willian and Lamela.