aberdeen-music

What Is Your Job/what Are Your Working Hours?

Little Green

I'm the Secretary of Divinity and Religious Studies at Aberdeen University. I normally work from 8.45-5/9-5 and on Fridays 8.30-4.30, depending on when I get in. The pay is decent, loads of opportunities for advancement after the first year and despite the occasionally stressful nature (we secretaries are the glue that hold schools together) I really enjoy it. Plus, if I don't stay there and end up moving then I've at least got an academic administrative role on my CV which makes getting a job in another uni a LOT easier. Decent enough holidays too and if we work a bank holiday we get an extra two days off and two weeks off over Christmas. Yaldy. 

Head of Foreign Languages for a primary school.

I only teach around 8 contact hours a week, then some hours where I have to be here to deal with any problems (such as the kids terrorising their music teacher...) but I don't have to actually do anything, and then the rest is up to me.

Hours : 8-3pm Monday, 10:30-3pm Tuesday, 7:30-3:30pm Wednesday, 12:15-3pm Thursday and - that's it. The occasional Friday if they're going on a school trip somewhere.  And random stuff added in, like going tonight to watch some crap play that they're performing. All in all, decent hours and enough free time at work to do everything needed.

And a vast amount of holidays. The Polis obsession with having holidays on certain dates as opposed to having bank holidays is a win-win situation - if Thursday or Tuesday is a holiday, then Friday/Monday will almost certainly be off because everyone fucks off for the long weekend. I think I only ended up working around 150 days last year...

Administrator for the university, working 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.  Some of it's pretty repetitive, but I'm happy to help out with anything so usually end up with a variety of different jobs to focus on.  The holidays are fab, and the uni is great to work for - they seem to like giving staff a chance to work their way up (I started in the cafe).

It's not the most relevant job to my degree, but I really need a break from being a student and couldn't face doing a masters for some time. 

Administrator for the university, working 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.  Some of it's pretty repetitive, but I'm happy to help out with anything so usually end up with a variety of different jobs to focus on.  The holidays are fab, and the uni is great to work for - they seem to like giving staff a chance to work their way up (I started in the cafe).

It's not the most relevant job to my degree, but I really need a break from being a student and couldn't face doing a masters for some time. 

Which uni? 

I had next to no qualifications, when i got my job and im on more now than folk who have started after leaving uni, but i have worked my ass off (for the most part) since getting the job. I have gone from a basic QA administrator who prints off bits of paper to being the company's internal expediter with a lot of responsibility in under 5 years, and that was after spending the best part of 7 years "chasing the dream".

Qualifications are nothing compared to hard work imo. From what i have been told i came across very well in my interview as someone who they thought would be a good addition to the company and i beat two other people more qualified. I did a bit of research on the place before i went for my interview so i had some clue on what i was getting into, and i was very open about what i had done in my life up till that point and why i had applied for the job. Had i not had a good interview there is little chance i would be working there now, one of the other people would have been. Its very important to go in confident and open, something you make up in an interview can come back and bite you if you get the job.

• Upvote 1

Aberdeen, 'cause it's ace :)

I only ask as I gave  the Aberdeen University Campus Services 4 years' of loyal service throughout my undergraduate degree.  I was a veritable jack of all trades, acting as Barista and Waiter in The Bishop's Table, porter/janitor all over the campus and Dinnerlady for the catered halls students.  I really enjoyed all the young women that I used to feed and regularly operated with a semi in my capacity as Chief Dinnerdude.  Where abouts did you work? 

• Upvote 2

i've done 15 hour shifts at asda wooo. and 12 hour shift.

yeh its a long haul but at least its over with.

i mean right now i have to go to my bed early 5 nights a week which is virtually impossible. i'm getting like 6hours if i'm lucky. go get 8hours i'd need to be in bed by 10pm O.o

if i only work 3 days at 15 hours then i'm giving myself more free time less early nights. the days i work it'd be up work home bed rinse repeat 3 days then home bed on the 3rd day and boom free for 4 days.

4 days baby. 4 days!!!! :D

i dont want to go offshore i have extra curricular evening activities i dont want to give up.