aberdeen-music

What Is Your Job/what Are Your Working Hours?

Little Green

I'm a construction manager for an oil services company.

When im in the UK i work 9ish to 4ish in the office depending on how im feeling and then the rest of the evening covering emails and calls. It's pretty much a 24/7 job which sucks but then at least im not bound to an office desk all day. Plus if i want to work at home i can do and nobody questions me on it. Having said that i travel for 3 weeks a month so if anybody ever tells me i don't work hard enough they can fuck right off.

My job enjoyment level is average, no more, no less.

@little green - Look into security guard work if you want a nice schedule. I'm talking about the type of security guard who sits at the front desk of a building watching Netflix all day/night. I worked in a place where the security guys worked 4 days on, 4 off with mammoth shifts and I was always jealous.

@little green - Look into security guard work if you want a nice schedule. I'm talking about the type of security guard who sits at the front desk of a building watching Netflix all day/night. I worked in a place where the security guys worked 4 days on, 4 off with mammoth shifts and I was always jealous.

Core Scottish government or local council sites would facilitate such security guarding, both in terms of shifts and job content.  :up:

I'm a sales advisor at Euro Car Parts

monday to friday 8am-6pm

alternate saturdays 8am-4pm

so either a 50 or 58 hr week

I sit at a desk and take orders from local garages and organise their deliveries. I also serve trade and retail customer in our little shop, I also organise internet orders and sell garage equipment such as ramps, tyre machines.

It's a fast paced environment, where calls are quick! pick up the phone and immediately get a reg barked at you and asked to find a certain part. Good thing is you get to recognize the phone numbers and know the garage instantly or by the voice of the customer. 

I like my job 

• Upvote 2

I work as a District Sales Trainer covering the East Coast of Scotland.

I train people on how to sell the products that my employer makes and I also manage a team of store based promoters.

My working hours are 8hrs per day varying on business requirements and location (thankfully my driving time is very often included in my working day), I work 5 days from 7 and 3 out of 4 weekends. As my office is technically in Weybridge, Surrey I work remotely, based from home and work quite a bit from home as a result doing admin.

I am also in London for a minimum of 3 days a month depending on launches, training, meeting etc.

I enjoy most aspects of my job though the travelling (particularly sitting around in airports) can become tiresome and I don't like working weekends.

• Upvote 1

@lucky rathen - i'm 22 lol not 17 hence the time for a degree! :D

in regard to talking to my work i have thought about it to see if they would be flexible i dont really see why they would have a reason not to apart from awkwardness.

they do shifts as well for some ppl 6am-2pm one week, 2pm-10pm the next. this doesnt appeal to me as i have evening curricular activities i'd have to mis out on.

i'd rather worka sunday and get a friday off.

if i ask to do 4 days at 12 hours they'll just say no bc then everyone would start chosing their own hours blah and blah.

hmmm security guard..... i'm 5ft 2 and 8 stone..... would that be a problem!? otherwise sounds right up my street little work fair pay (pay doesnt bother me) and  good days off.

2 days passes 2 quickly and not to mention with the 8-5 m-f trying to get dr appts dentist bank etc is such hassle.

Game developer. Work in an office for 8 hours 5 days a week. Can be pretty flexible but I pretty much stick to 10-6 Mon-Fri just for routines sake. At end of projects we end up working 9am-2am 7 days a week for 2 weeks and ridiculous shit like that. No overtime pay at all but we get bonuses.

Edited by Teabags

Engineer.

We have flexi-time at the office, meaning that as long as you do your 7.5 hours a day, you can pretty much come and go as you please. You can also work extra mon-thurs and have a half day friday, if you want. My hours are pretty much dictated by the fact that I play chauffeur for my wife.

xx

tumblr_m4nzrvXnrl1qzt6plo1_500.gif

Whoopa!

• Upvote 2

I know you said no Nursing but Auxiliary nursing pretty much fits the bill and wouldn't require any qualifications or other allied health things like support worker, phlebotomist and suchlike would give you the 3x12 hour shifts working pattern. Hell you could even go on the NHS Grampian nursing bank (or an external agency like Raeburn) and you can tell them when you want to work and they will offer you shifts. Plus with the NHS you get paid time and a third on nights/Saturdays and time and two thirds on a Sunday so it's not all bad - you do get compensated for the unsocial hours.

As for my job. Full time student (9-5 Monday-Friday) and part time coffee shop worker (16h at weekends). I hate you all with your full time wages. Plus the fact my only days off are when I take annual leave from work. My last day not at uni/work was the 2nd of January, and my next day off is the 3rd of March :( I should graduate this year though in which case I will be a junior doctor starting in August and will likely have crazy hours. It averages 48h a week but that includes your time off, so you could very easily end up doing an 84h week at some points. I know some people who have ended up with 10+ 12h shifts in a row on rotas.

Aside from the blood and gore, the fact that I value a good lie in is one of the reasons I never wanted to be a doctor. I bow down to you and your type's stamina.

I want to be a psychiatrist or GP. Sociable hours ftw. Just 2 years of FY to get through and a little bit in CT training if I go down the psych route then it will essentially be a near enough 9-5 job for life.

I know you said no Nursing but Auxiliary nursing pretty much fits the bill and wouldn't require any qualifications or other allied health things like support worker, phlebotomist and suchlike would give you the 3x12 hour shifts working pattern. Hell you could even go on the NHS Grampian nursing bank (or an external agency like Raeburn) and you can tell them when you want to work and they will offer you shifts. Plus with the NHS you get paid time and a third on nights/Saturdays and time and two thirds on a Sunday so it's not all bad - you do get compensated for the unsocial hours.

did think about this. all i've seen on the nhs websit  say u need some qualification or another.

i'm reluctant to leave a job with permanent hours to go agency non contracted hours yeh it could work out great but i might not get alot of shifts from the agency then i'd have less income.....

Subsea engineer, been back working as a Contractor since 2010.

Core hours depend on the client, some companies like 9 hour days for the day rate while others stick to 8, in my last position I said I wouldn't be interested in doing a 9 hour day so they put me on an hourly rate rather than day rate and I got to do 8. Negotiation of terms ftw.

Start time is dependent on commuting method, if on the train I start about 07:30 and finish between 4 and 5 dependent on how busy I am, how long I took for lunch and to suit trains. If I'm driving I start about 7 and finish about 4.

I sell/fix things for a group of clothing/giftware boutiques. Job varies depending on where I'm based.

Last week I was sanding Thai furniture, this week I've been sifting through vintage Knitwear and sewing seams on dresses. A lot of the time I just do crosswords and give tourists directions. 

Working times are generally 9.30-6, sometimes don't start till 12. Generally averages out at a standard 37 hour week, sometimes I have to do 6 day weeks and sometimes get away with doing a 4 day week. 

Can't complain too much, it pays the bills and I like clothes. Main downside is being the only male who works in any of the stores so I have to do a lot of sexist box-carrying and light bulb changing etc.

i hate that jobs dont advertise their hours better.

its so damn hard to apply for jobs nowadays.

they dont state the pay or the f*cking hours what is the point.

how am i meant to know if i want the job if u dont tell me these things.

the job i'm at now phoned up and offered me the job before telling me the pay which is awkward what do i say on the phone boss says; "we're pleased to offer the job" PAUSE - waiting for my answer (accept or not accept) THEN he was like "the conditions are....."

i mean in that f*cking pause i cant say "well erm i'd be happy to accept if you tell me the pay"

but really employers need a good skelping.

advertise the hours. esp part time jobs eg: 19 hours a week

its like well if these are on the weekend 9.5hours each day yeh i could probably do that (hypothetically speaking i mean i dont actually want another job and work my 2 days off) but if these 19 hours are between 8&5 mon-fri then i cant since i'm at my first job. maybe their in the evenings. are they across all 7 nights? or just 1.,2,3......

HOW CAN I APPLY FOR JOBS WHEN I DONT KNOW THE HOURS!????

haha mini rant over!

but does anyone see my point?