aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

The first single due to be released from James Arthur's debut album is entitled "If You Are Losing Sleep In Aberdeen" and was written for his friend who moved to Banchory a few years ago.

The first single due to be released from James Arthur's debut album is entitled "If You Are Losing Sleep In Aberdeen" and was written for his friend who moved to Banchory a few years ago.

Where did you get that from? As according to here - http://local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/magazine/211896-x-factor-james-arthur-hopes-aberdeen-song-features-in-debut-album/ he just says he hopes it gets onto the album.

I love how excited Cool Thinker gets just at a mere namecheck of Aberdeen.

In other news, that James Arthur is a class above anything that's ever come out of the X-Factor before. An actual musican for a start, spent years playing in bands and playing acoustic gigs in pubs, and a ridiculously talented singer with an unbelievable voice. I predict he's actually going to have a long and succesful career, and not end up singing on cruise ships and doing panto in Gloucester in 2 years time like the other winners.

/coolthought

Guest Cool Thinker

In other news, that James Arthur is a class above anything that's ever come out of the X-Factor before. An actual musican for a start, spent years playing in bands and playing acoustic gigs in pubs, and a ridiculously talented singer with an unbelievable voice. I predict he's actually going to have a long and succesful career, and not end up singing on cruise ships and doing panto in Gloucester in 2 years time like the other winners.

/coolthought

Everyone I have spoken too about him has called him rubbish.

P.S - I love how you can see who is viewing the topic and who they are, best thing about the forum.

P.S.S - From Friday every week I will be posting information about the weeks cinema releases.

• Upvote 1

Everyone I have spoken too about him has called him rubbish.

P.S - I love how you can see who is viewing the topic and who they are, best thing about the forum.

P.S.S - From Friday every week I will be posting information about the weeks cinema releases.

you've been able to see who's viewing a topic for years

/coolthought

The song of his that they play on Northsound is rank, I'm sure he's eating a pie whilst singing the last chorus. I think to call him a ridiculously talented singer is pretty bold, he won a light entertainment karaoke television program. It's not like he is Van Morrison/Jeff Buckley/musician with actual talent.

Bit unfair. I think the manner with which James Arthur has found his fame is a moot point, it's just good to see a musician who has kicked about at the pub level now with a number one in his belt.

...Although, Ed Sheeran also played in pubs.

I don't remember what point I was trying to make with this.

Also his lyrics are shit.

/coolthought

In terms of what has come out of the X Factor, he is a class above, yes. But in terms of real life, he's not exactly the second coming. There's thousands of singer songwriter types out there as good or better. I predict he's going to get eaten up by the Sith Lord Cowell and the Dark Side of the music 'industry' and spat out when he can't do exactly what they want him to do. He seems quite vulnerable, and I can't see it ending well for him. He would probably have been better losing, then getting picked up by a smaller label who could work with what he has rather than turning him into what they want.

Guest Cool Thinker

News

* McDonalds on Union Street have failed to open 24 hours a day (they are already open 5am - 4am Sat - Sun) due to the police saying there would be too much trouble.

* Example has cancelled his Aberdeen show.

* Bus prices in Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire could rise in the future.

Primary School Closure List

* Quarryhill and Bramble Bay could merge into a new school in the Quarryhill area.

Middleton Park and Glashieburn could merge into a new school in the Glashieburn area.

Abbotswell and Kirkhill could merge into a new school on a unidentified site.

* 14 victorian era schools will be demolished and replaced by new schools examples (Skene Square, Ashley Road and Broomhill).

* 14 victorian era schools will be demolished and replaced by new schools examples (Skene Square, Ashley Road and Broomhill).

They're not proposing to demolish them, just upgrade them a bit -

"A programme (Victorian Schools (VS) Programme) to improve 

suitability should be instigated which would involve exploring possible 
alterations to internal and external facilities.  These are likely to include 
the flooring over of first and second floor voids to provide flexible 
spaces for use in a variety of learning activities, such as group work 
and some types of active learning."

Guest Cool Thinker

New at the cinema this week.

Mainstream Movies

Flight (15)
Paramount Pictures
Drama
Release Date - 1st February 2013
Director - Robert Zemeckis
Starring - Denzel Washington, Nadine Velazquez and Don Cheadle
Showing At - All Cinema's Except Belmont

An airline pilot saves a flight from crashing, but an investigation into the malfunctions reveals something troubling.

Bullet To The Head (15)
Entertainment One
Action/Crime/Thriller
Director - Walter Hill
Starring - Sylvester Stallone, Jason Momoa & Christian Slater
Showing At - Vue & Cineworld Union Square

After watching their respective partners die, a New Orleans hitman and a Washington D.C. detective form an alliance in order to bring down their common enemy

Hyde Park On Hudson (12A)
Universal 
Biography/Comedy/Drama
Director - Roger Michell 
Starring - Bill Murray, Laura Linney & Olivia Williams
Showing At - Cineworld Union Square & Belmont

The story of the love affair between FDR and his distant cousin Margaret "Daisy" Suckley, centered around the weekend in 1939 when the King and Queen of the United Kingdom visited upstate New York.

Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away 3D (PG) 
Paramount Pictures
Fantasy 
Director - Andrew Adamson 
Starring - Erica Linz, Igor Zaripov & Lutz Halbhubner
Showing At - Cineworld Union Square

A young woman is entranced by an Aerialist. When they fall into the dreamlike world of Cirque du Soleil and are separated, they travel through the different tent worlds trying to find each other.

Might Not Be New But It Is Showing At The Belmont

Kill Bill 2 (18) - Monday 4th February 2013 at 8.30pm

McCullin (15) - Tuesday 5th February 2013 at 6pm

Guest Cool Thinker

Good scoop on this one. I'll make sure I'm prepared.

And the sky is and will remain to be blue, at least for the foreseeable future. You might wanna jot that one down.

Now I know why you swapped the letters in your username, because you did not wan't to state the obvious.

"Jerk"

• Upvote 5