aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

The difference between Manchester United this season compared to previous title-winning seasons is that they are more than ever fueled by sheer hunger and determination. If you look at Manchester City, unquestionably Manchester United's only title challengers this year, they seem to be fueled by complacency and expectancy. That's a huge difference. I'd suggest, in fact, that it is the key difference between the two clubs this season - personally, man-for-man, I think City have the better players and better squad.

Mancini's latest spoutings are tiresome, and he clearly feels the pressure, which is highlighted by his self-defensive mutterings about how no other manager has been as successful in such a short tenure. But he's failing to acknowledge the context in which his success has come. I'm not belittling what Mancini has achieved in any way, but he has to realize and accept what was (and is) expected at Manchester City now, given the amount they have invested in playing staff, backroom staff, and club infrastructure. Mancini and the club have become very unctuous and smarmy over the past couple of years and it makes me dislike them more and more every time I hear a Manchester City fan on a radio phone-in, or Noel Gallagher talking absolute guff.

The United team this season very rarely recognizes when it is beaten, and I have fucking loved seeing them just somehow find a way through in every game. But mainly, I have fucking loved the fact that someone is shitting on Manchester City and putting them back in their place a little bit. I have especially enjoyed Manchester City's gang-raping in the Champions League. That was satisfying.

• Upvote 1

Another major factor is that players have stepped up hugely. Michael Carrick and Patrice Evra most notably, who have been very patchy for a couple of years, are having arguably their best ever seasons. De Gea, despite the papers ripping him a new arsehole everyday, is a total matchwinner, and Cleverley has cemented his importance, and has played in just about every single big game. The defence is just about sorted, compared to earlier in the season when it was just one disaster after another. Rafael is probably one of the most improved players on earth too.

But, as they say, the hardest title to win is the one you're defending, and City are struggling in terms of motivation. But it's not that they are much worse this season, it's that United are much better. at the start of February, City were only 3 points shy of the amount of points they had at the same stage last season.

Speaking of putting them in their place, it's pretty great that, with all their billions and their Premier League title, Robin Van Persie and Eden Hazard still didn't want to go there. No duobt, if they'd have gotten those two players, they'd be smashing the league to pieces.

I think this season underlines just how fucking brilliant a football manager Sir Alex Ferguson actually is. Not that many people tend to doubt that too often, but he's instilled the right attitude throughout the team, and they are one of the most hard-working football teams I have ever witnessed. Not only do they all work exceptionally hard, but they are almost all technically sound, extremely well-conditioned athletically, and mentally balanced on the football pitch. I especially love to watch them counter-attack; it's absolutely devastating sometimes.

Great bunch of lads, and a proper football manager. None of this po-faced Roberto Mancini nonsense. That guy grinds my gears. United were hurt last season, and instead of capitulating, they've come out more determined than ever. It's difficult not to find that inspiring.

Edited by Eupraxia
  • Upvote 1

FFS, excellent signing for them.

McFadden to Motherwell, Boyd to Killie, looks like Kevin Thomson will be back at Hibs before long... How long until Aberdeen re-sign Chris Maguire? fingers_crossed.gif

We already did it with Russell Anderson.

BTW has anyone posted that Michael Hart has signed for Huntly? Holy fuck that's a step down. He's only in his early 30s as well.

We already did it with Russell Anderson.

BTW has anyone posted that Michael Hart has signed for Huntly? Holy fuck that's a step down. He's only in his early 30s as well.

I thought he was still with Hibs!  Wikipedia suggests he was most recently at Airdrie but quit to start a career outside football.  Guess that's why he's now at Huntly.