aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Has there been some Bale love in this thread today yet? He's been brilliant to watch of late. A lot of people saying Spurs are a one man team which is nonsense and completely undermines the tactical know how of AVB who is crafting the team around Bale - it's a completely different situation to RVP at Arsenal who really was getting the team out of situations with his goals. Bale is just that good, its a no-brainer to give him the freedom. Take him out the team and you still have a good side just lined up very differently (ok, lacking up front but on the whole still solid).

Anyway, his form is making me like football again.

"One man team" can usually be translated to "Your team has a very good player that I'm jealous my team doesn't have". I think it's different than RvP at Arsenal because Bale isn't exactly being relied upon for the goals, but he's getting them anyway. Other than RvP, Arsenal didn't really have a proper goalscorer, but he did have a well balanced team behind him. It was the same when Ronaldo was at United. That was apparently a one man team, despite the attack boasting Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov as well as one of the best back fives of the Premier League era. It's just a daft term.

Bale is hugely influential, but he couldn't do that for a poorer team, it just seems to be that the attack is built around him at the moment, to perhaps compensate for their lack of striking options, and it certainly works well. I'm impressed at his transition as a footballer. He went from being a potentially exciting but error prone full back, to an explosive touchline hugging winger to an all out attacker. I don't think I've ever seen a player mature through so many different possible positions and playing styles in such a small amount of time, but he really could play anywhere. His technique when he strikes the ball is bordering on Ronaldo territory, which is ridiculous.

"One man team" can usually be translated to "Your team has a very good player that I'm jealous my team doesn't have". I think it's different than RvP at Arsenal because Bale isn't exactly being relied upon for the goals, but he's getting them anyway. Other than RvP, Arsenal didn't really have a proper goalscorer, but he did have a well balanced team behind him. It was the same when Ronaldo was at United. That was apparently a one man team, despite the attack boasting Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov as well as one of the best back fives of the Premier League era. It's just a daft term.

Bale is hugely influential, but he couldn't do that for a poorer team, it just seems to be that the attack is built around him at the moment, to perhaps compensate for their lack of striking options, and it certainly works well. I'm impressed at his transition as a footballer. He went from being a potentially exciting but error prone full back, to an explosive touchline hugging winger to an all out attacker. I don't think I've ever seen a player mature through so many different possible positions and playing styles in such a small amount of time, but he really could play anywhere. His technique when he strikes the ball is bordering on Ronaldo territory, which is ridiculous.

Good point about him in a weaker team. He'd be either isolated and man-marked out of the game or tracking back and too knackered to attack. And, it's not like you can just stick 2 men on him, what with the likes of dembele, sigurdson, holtby, parker, caulker, assou ekotto, Dempsey and co to contend with. Those guys aint no slouches. Again, ridiculous the whole 'one-man team' thing but i suppose 'playing to your strengths' doesnt have the same inflammatory effects when banded about by opposing fans.

His transition has been astounding. Has there been any other stand out examples of a player changing positions so succesfully? I'm not talking about 'he used to play goalie in high school' but more solid examples. I know there's a few but I can't think of them right now.

I can't think of many as high profile as Bale. I think Fellaini has certainly matured well, and is incredibly versatile. You can play him anywhere down the middle, from infront of the back 4 to even as the main striker. He's got alot to his game, and is arguably the catalyst of Everton's good performances, alot like Bale is. Not quite comparable to Bale's transition, but one of the more recent ones I could think of.

Oh, and the obvious one:

O+Shea.jpg

ibqHEL1TusVYL7.gif

From goalie to goalscorer. John O'Shea. Still shit though.

Edited by Joda Serk

I really hope Bale signs for Man United - a) because i want him to stay in the English Premier League and b) because they are the only team that can afford him that I don't hate. Nani to go the other way in a player + cash deal. HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes

If Spurs get a top 4 place I hope Bale stays with them. I like AVB a lot and would really like to see him get to properly build on this team next season.

I like Wenger but it has got to the point that I just don't see him turning it around and I think the team is in need of a fresh perspective. Their failure to win any of the cups of the last 8 (is it?) years is terrible really, when you consider the manner in which they've gone out of these competitions some times. 

From a Barca view tonight the match was a real non event really. Never in it. The recent decline of the team has been completely exposed in the last week and I really don't see them overcoming Milan in the second leg. Villa needs to start that match, the shape just isn't right with Fabregas in the team getting in Iniesta's way. 

I quite like Arteta, tbh.  He's what my father describes as a "tidy footballer." 

Agree about Bale going to United: he seems the perfect man to take over the #11 from Giggs.  I think he should stay at Spurs for at least another season.  He could win some serious trophies there too if they keep building on what they have. 

If Spurs get a top 4 place I hope Bale stays with them. I like AVB a lot and would really like to see him get to properly build on this team next season.

I like Wenger but it has got to the point that I just don't see him turning it around and I think the team is in need of a fresh perspective. Their failure to win any of the cups of the last 8 (is it?) years is terrible really, when you consider the manner in which they've gone out of these competitions some times. 

From a Barca view tonight the match was a real non event really. Never in it. The recent decline of the team has been completely exposed in the last week and I really don't see them overcoming Milan in the second leg. Villa needs to start that match, the shape just isn't right with Fabregas in the team getting in Iniesta's way. 

What's the view on Fabregas in Barcelona?  He does well occasionally in the complete nothing games against the La Liga minnows it seems from an outside perspective but never does much in the big games.

Can we have him back plzthx.

I think he's still generally very popular and has performed very well at times but most people I speak to wouldn't have him in the first 11. However that is as much to do with the shape of the team. While he's probably still seen as the long term Xavi replacement I'd bet that most people's first choice would still be the team that started the 2011 champions league final but with Alba in for Abidal. WIth Fabregas on the pitch and Villa on the bench the team plays narrower and are easier to defend against. And worst of all Iniesta gets moved out of position to where he isn't quite as effective. 

Barca are missing something right now, they just didnt look like they had a plan to break down Real or Milan in the last couple of games. If they dont get the space they need they just dont seem capable of breaking a top team down. A year or so ago they were playing quick sharp one two's that were taking entire defences out of the game, now its all slow passing across the pitch without really getting anywhere. I counted quite a few times last night when they have the ball wide and there was maybe 1 Barca player in the box, with about 6 Real defenders, and no one looked interested in trying to break forward. Messi also looks like he is in a bit of a strop at the moment, he just did not look sharp or interested last night.

You're right that not playing as quick is a big factor. When they've been at their best it's been the speed of their passing which really takes them from a toothless tipy tappy team to an incisive attacking force. When they move the ball at speed defenders struggle to keep up and maintain position which creates space for attacking runs and forward passes. At the moment that zip isn't there and top defences can follow their movement and remain solid. 

Yeah what makes them so devestating is the speed and accuracy they can pass, there litterally is no way to defend against them when they play like that, you have to hope you catch them on an off day. But last night they just looked laboured and slow, you would struggle to break down any team playing that slowly, never mind one that could argue to be one of the worlds best. I cant imagine the manager not being there is that huge a problem for them, but its strange that the guy running the team last night was a scout for Pep last season.

I really hope Bale signs for Man United - a) because i want him to stay in the English Premier League and b) because they are the only team that can afford him that I don't hate. Nani to go the other way in a player + cash deal. HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

I don't even think United can afford him, unless somehow, for some hideous reason, another team would want to take Nani, in exchange for Bale. Levy will probably play hardball, as he always does. He's probably got every right to be looking for something daft like £50million+

I think Manchester United have too much class to resort to dealing with Daniel Levy. They know that they can still win numerous trophies and titles without Gareth Bale in their squad; spending over £60 million for a player just isn't really Manchester United's style, and it certainly is not conducive to their success.

I think most people can recognize that Tottenham are a significantly weakened team without Gareth Bale, and although this is a hypothetical suggestion, I don't believe Tottenham would be challenging for a top four position had they not had Gareth Bale playing for them this year, which highlights how valuable he is, really. That said, Tottenham have invested quite heavily in Bale, and I don't think they'd be out of order to look for £60 million plus for him. Naturally, I mean that in the context of today's market; I don't believe for a single second that any sportsman justifies a fee of £60 million in order to move clubs. But hey, supply and demand, and all that.

If he moves to another club this summer, I think the main contenders will be Real Madrid, Manchester City, and PSG. Clubs like Zenith and Anzhi will probably show an interest, but I sincerely doubt Bale would be interested in playing his football in Russia. He doesn't strike me as the type who would factor in remuneration as a deal breaker.

I love watching that unique and elegantly forceful way he has of running with the ball and drifting past opponents. He can fairly kick a football, too. I'd love to see him at Manchester United, but it's unlikely to happen. Besides, that'd just be unfair on the rest of the world if United signed Gareth Bale. They'd be even more formidable on the counter-attack.

Gareth Bale is a great bunch of lads. Fucking love that guy.

Edited by Eupraxia
  • Upvote 1

Saw a "Brown must go" post on Facebook this morning. I'm completely out of the loop with all things Dons, but surely that can't be the general consensus is it?

I think it probably is.  To begin with it was nonsense, but even I am beginning to come around.  That's based on results, however.  I've only seen them play 5-6 times this season, and that was all last year.  I genuinely think we have a good squad though, and we are definitely underachieving. 

He's got until the end of the season.  If we don't finish top 6, I'd imagine he'd be gone.