aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

iJ6XysLT7IFnG.gif

Handled off the line?  I missed this during the game, just saw the gif after.

As was pointed out by the commentator during the game (which amazed the fuck out of me) there has to be intent to handle the ball. Just because the ball hits someone's arm doesn't mean it's handball, despite what managers, players and most commentators seem to think.

Look at the path the ball is taking he's getting nowhere near to head that with his arms wide out to block.  I'm not saying it's a stone wall penalty or anything I'm just saying Madrid had a decent shout at one here.

You can argue as much as you like but how many people jump with their arms by their sides? The ball came in a lot quicker and at a lower angle than he expected by the looks of it. At a corner if the ball comes anywhere near you in the air, you jump.

• Upvote 1

Refereeing is all about interpretation of the rules isn't it? A player having his arms in an outstretched unnatural position is  often accepted enough reason to be taken as deliberate.  I could see the Rafael one going either way.

The red card is debatable but certainly not the supreme injustice some are saying. If I were a Man Utd fan I'd be gutted at going out after playing well in both legs but a bit embarrassed to hold on to that one incident as the reason we went out.

• Upvote 1

You can argue as much as you like but how many people jump with their arms by their sides? The ball came in a lot quicker and at a lower angle than he expected by the looks of it. At a corner if the ball comes anywhere near you in the air, you jump.

I wouldn't jump with my arms by my sides but there's no way I'd naturally jump with my arms out like superman either.

I wouldn't jump with my arms by my sides but there's no way I'd naturally jump with my arms out like superman either.

Almost all footballers seem to jump like that, especially the shorter ones. I dunno, maybe it gives them more lift when they pull their arms back down mid-jump.

On the basis of that the Ref should've given a penalty to Utd when Ramos clotheslined Rafael in the box.

It was a total body slam. If it had been outside the box, I bet United would have had a free kick. Rafael was outmuscled, but Ramos swept him aside with both arms and threw him on the ground. Ramos got away with plenty more. He fouled Evra in the box in the last 5 minutes, and stiff-armed Welbeck who was trying to latch onto a throughball. Somehow he left the field with 5 fouls to his name, a few which weren't given, and not a single card.

Rafael's handball would have been incredibly harsh. The ball is headed onto his arm from less than half a metre away. Ramos's block with his arm in his own penalty area was arguably more blatant, as he turned that side of his body towards the ball, and used his arm to block. I don't think that one was a penalty either, but there was certainly more intent to use the arm than Rafael.

Still, it's consistency that is the issue. Lopez swiped at thin air, missed the ball completely and punched Vidic right in the face. Nani tried to control and aerial ball and caught Arbeloa in the side/upper arm. Surely both are in the same bracket, no? One wasn't given as a foul at all, and the other a red card. Boo-urns.

United are notoriously bad at going a man down. Always. Often even worse playing teams who have gone a man down. Remember 10 Man City at the Etihad? They dominated, where as 10 man United got spanked 1-6 at Old Trafford. It's something Ferguson has rarely gotten right.

The first goal could have happened against 11 men, as United were pushed so far back and weren't even attempting to go forwards. It was just a ridiculous strike from Modric. Madrid pressed so hard because United just had no options up the pitch, won the ball back, forced about 5 corners in a row, then wellied it in. The second goal was just pure exploitation of the extra space, but at 1-1, United couldn't do anything put play on and try and score. It was poor defending to allow the ball to fizz through like that.

Oh well. Hopefully the wounded animal will kick the fuck out of Chelsea this weekend.