aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

It's football that's the joke really. It doesn't matter to Chelsea too much that so much money has been wasted. Despite a mess of a season this year the big money approach has won them a lot of trophies in the last decade and probably will win many more over the next one. Until football is financially fairer the situation wont change and I wouldn't put too much money of fans of chelsea / man city etc being that upset about what fans of profitable but trophy-less clubs think of them.

On Arsenal, as good a coach as Wenger has been I really do think it's time for him to go. 

• Upvote 1

They keep saying he's getting £70mm to spend in the summer.  I don't know, with the money he's had - in comparison to the teams around them - you can't really argue witht their consistency.  There's no doubt they should have won a trophy by now, but I still think he's a good coach and manager.  With a bit more quality in the team, that they'd get from £70mm, I think they will win something soon.  They just have to hold on to what they have, with the exception of Mertesaker and Arshavin, and build on it.  I think a better goalkeeper, a world class striker and a centre back would go a long way.  I think the fans and board just need a bit more patience, he can't be that far off retirement anyway. 

There are a lot of players Arsenal should be looking to shift on IMO.

Bendtner, Arshavin, Djourou, Diaby, Rosicky, Sagna, Mertesacker, Squillaci (lol), Fabianski, Santos, Frimpong, Chamakh, Park, Denilson - all of them are either not good enough, coming to the end of their careers, or could use a change of scene. I'll single Sagna out because although he's a quality right back, he as really struggled for form since his return from injury and a move probably suits both parties. Jenkinson has looked decent when he's played.

I understand there may be contracts coming to an end but if Wenger can shift those players on that's a hell of a wage bill freed up. Absolutely needs to sign a commanding centre back to play alongside Vermaelen, a combative central midfielder and a striker that is good enough to replace RvP. I like Szczesny, but a short-term deal for an older and wiser 'keeper would probably be a good idea too. Like what Spurs did with Friedel, I guess.

They keep saying he's getting £70mm to spend in the summer.  I don't know, with the money he's had - in comparison to the teams around them - you can't really argue witht their consistency.  There's no doubt they should have won a trophy by now, but I still think he's a good coach and manager.  With a bit more quality in the team, that they'd get from £70mm, I think they will win something soon.  They just have to hold on to what they have, with the exception of Mertesaker and Arshavin, and build on it.  I think a better goalkeeper, a world class striker and a centre back would go a long way.  I think the fans and board just need a bit more patience, he can't be that far off retirement anyway. 

What's the beef with Mertesacker? In my mind he's a touch on the slow side for the EPL but he's a quality centre back, certainly better than all their others maybe bar Vermaelen.

Well, he is slow, he seems to be borderline dyspraxic and falls over himself fairly regularly, he regularly loses his man at set pieces - I suppose that's down to the whole zonal marking thing - and he doesn't offer enough from set pieces at the other side, given that he's 6'6".  I just think he's a bad, clumsy footballer.  He doesn't even seem remarkably strong, for his size. 

Adam, you've mentioned a heap of players I assumed had fallen off the face of the world.  a few of them must be out on loan, surely?  I've always rated Chamakh when I've seen him in a proper Arsenal side.  He only seems to play with the kids in the Insurance Cup though. 

Chamakh was lethal in ligue un, it's a shame it hasnt happened for him in England yet because he has all the attributes to be a proper in-the-box striker. A better header of the ball you won't see. 

Mertesacker is nowhere near a top 4 club level center back. He's good but not great. Gets caught out far too often.

That's the problem Wenger/the board have done.  They've been trying to survive with very little money other than the sums from player sales for the last 7 years.  So they've bought a lot of less quality but payed them how they should pay quality players and as such are struggling to shift them now.  At least 4 of those are out of contract this summer so the wages are already going to be there for 3/4 quality signings without really adding to the wage bill.  The number 70 million is really plucked from nothing the "extra" money Arsenal have is about 90 million according to the financials released the other days (I stole that figure from people on twitter who analysed it a lot better than I can).  

I don't think it's time for Arsene to go.  I think he should spend that money and keep all the current players he thinks are good enough and bin the rest.  Stan Kroenke should worship the ground Arsene walks on.  The club is now worth 300 million more than it was when he bought it, have (and own) the most modern stadium in the EPL and have been in the Champions league despite a net spending over the last 7 years equal to that of clubs who have either been relegated or fight for survival.

Now the top 4 isn't silverware but it's certainly kept the club afloat whilst paying off that stadium.  It's not even like Arsenal haven't had the chance to win silverware since the big move and the funds really weren't there for Arsene.  League cup final 07 and 11, 07/08 EPL (4 points away), FA Cup semi 09.  I know it's all what ifs but they've hardly been wildly uncompetitive in regards to what teams around them have been doing/spending.

The Premier League has become a what have you done for me lately league, largely due to the funny money teams like Chelsea and Citeh have thrown at their teams.  I think Arsenal's fans need to have a long look and see if Wenger really is to blame, yes he's bought some bad players recently but so have every manager.  He just hasn't had the funds to cover it up by signing a superstar the next year.  He has got it right this year with Santi being very good in his first season, Giroud has hardly been the flop the media would have you believe (14 goals 10 assists), Podolski (12 goals 10 assists) and I think Nacho looks a player as well.

That all said the last couple of weeks have been embarrassing, especially the fa cup.  No one expected Arsenal to beat Bayern but they really did just toy with us.  The team just need to focus on top 4 now and move on in the summer.  They are only 2 points out of the places with a pretty decent end of season schedule.

Chamakh was lethal in ligue un, it's a shame it hasnt happened for him in England yet because he has all the attributes to be a proper in-the-box striker. A better header of the ball you won't see. 

Mertesacker is nowhere near a top 4 club level center back. He's good but not great. Gets caught out far too often.

Giroud is a better header of the ball.

I dont see why Wenger should go, he has had his hands tied in recent years and has had to sign players not good enough, but i can Arsenal coming back strong, they now OWN one of the worlds best stadiums, no rent involved, no debts and a good bunch of young players, give the likes of Wilshire and Jenkinson a couple of top players around them and that team would be transformed. Get rid of shite like Mertsacker and Arteta and they will be in a great position.

What's the beef with Mertesacker? In my mind he's a touch on the slow side for the EPL but he's a quality centre back, certainly better than all their others maybe bar Vermaelen.

I would rate Koscielny above Mertesacker too. Both Kos and Verm are decent, but they need to be doing a bit better there. A Hummels or a Chiellini. That type of ball playing, dominant CB, as Kos can be a little soft, and Verm has a touch of David Luiz about him, wanting to take on a little too much.

Genuinely disagree... and Giroud is excellent. We haven't seen a millionth of what Chamakh is capable of. I watched a LOT of ligue un a few years back and was really excited to see him in the premier league.

I agree. Giroud has got a bonce of steel, but Chamakh just has ridiculous Michael Jordan-esque hangtime when he floats through the air for a header. Really great precision too. No idea why he hasn't quite made it in the Premier League. He started off the first season in great form, but then slumped.

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 1