aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

The fixture congestion the Europa is going to cause could be awful as well.  Spuds have Swansea (A), Everton(H), Chelsea (A), Citeh (H).

That's a pretty tough run anyway but add in Swansea (A), Europa, Everton(H), Europa, Chelsea (A), Citeh (H).  When the team runs through one player only it's a worry if you need him to be on his game every week.

I still expect them to keep their top 4 place as it stands but it could be a good finish for the top 4.

Spurs were very lucky, if ever there has been a team getting hand carried by one exceptional player its them. They had no out ball at all without him on the pitch, no one driving the team forward and bar that one chance they never really looked like scoring. AVB must be shitting himself with the international games coming up, especially considering that thug Allan Hutton will be marking him. One wrong challenge and Spur's season will be over. 

Completely disagree, he has assisted only 2 of our EPL goals and whilst he is top scorer in the team that represents less than 33% of goals scored in the league. I'm not questioning his involvement in the season but the qualities in the team are there all except goalscoring. Adebayor did his usual of play well in order to win a contract and then completely disappear for the season. Defoe has contributed an awful lot to the season but has been injured and isn't back to form yet. Our biggest mistake was not buying another striker in the transfer windows (particularly the Jan one). If we'd spent out on a goalscorer we might be pushing the top 2.

Gallas was woeful last night but he's 35 and past his best, total off night for Parker too. The problem last night was there was no pace or width outside. If Lennon had started it would've made a difference to the way the team was set up but we were aching for a natural left winger last night to spread the play across the pitch. Andros Townsend shouldn't've gone to QPR on loan he'd've got games in the run-in and Europa with the amount of fixtures on the go and with Rose on loan at Sunderland that was a total error of judgement.

Hopefully in the summer AVB/Levy will look to clear some of the congestion in AM/CM (Sigurdsson/Dempsey/Livermore/Huddlestone are all circling the drain in my opinion) and they need to look at a world class left back, another right winger to provide competition to Lennon and a proven goalscoring striker, maybe even two if we ship out Adebayor.

There's a lot of depth to the Spurs team and a solid backbone but last night proved that we have a balanced set-up that benefits from playing two conventional wingers to give pace and width to the counter/crossover style and we shouldn't mess with it too much.

• Upvote 1

Come on man, he carries that team, directly or indirectly. The space he creates for other players, the speed he plays at, the fact he can belt a free kick in from anywhere he feels like. Last night the team was a shadow of what they have been recently and he was the only one missing really. I'm not saying Spurs have a crap squad, they dont, they have some decent players, but he is the one that gives them the edge in games. The team is built around getting the ball to him and letting him loose on the opposition at the moment, without him on the park last night Spurs looked very short of ideas. 

There is no way this Spurs team are good enough for second, not at all. Without Bale its a slightly above the EPL average quality of squad, on a par with Arsenal but behind Chelsea and Man City.

Come on man, he carries that team, directly or indirectly. The space he creates for other players, the speed he plays at, the fact he can belt a free kick in from anywhere he feels like. Last night the team was a shadow of what they have been recently and he was the only one missing really. I'm not saying Spurs have a crap squad, they dont, they have some decent players, but he is the one that gives them the edge in games. The team is built around getting the ball to him and letting him loose on the opposition at the moment, without him on the park last night Spurs looked very short of ideas. 

There is no way this Spurs team are good enough for second, not at all. Without Bale its a slightly above the EPL average quality of squad, on a par with Arsenal but behind Chelsea and Man City.

Explain where the other goals come from? Sigurdsson, Lennon and Dempsey have all been providers as have Defoe and Huddlestone. Defoe has 14 golas this season as well (not bad for a striker who's missed a couple of months).

Bale is most definitely a key player for us but the team wouldn't crumble without him. Lat night was a tactical disaster and AVB tried to compensate for not having a left winger by not having any natural wingers on the pitch. Like i said, if Townsend had been available the team would've set up in the style we've been playing in all season and may have lost but not to the same extent and would've spread play against a very rigid Inter side. Huddlestone should've started rather than Livermore, Lennon rather than Sigurdsson, Lloris rather than Friedel, Assou-Ekotto instead of Naughton and Holtby out on the left (as he's played there for Schalke) rather than Defoe. I would've played with the following

-----------------Lloris------------------------

Walker---Gallas---Vertonghen---Assou-Ekotto

-----------------Parker------------------------

-----------Dembele---Huddlestone---------

Lennon--------------------------------Holtby

------------------Adebayor------------------

That set up would've guaranteed a bit more creativity and width and pace but would've given the midfield the guts and strength to keep an eye on the back four. It also would've given a more industrious and balanced bench if the game was dragging and lacking in energy. Obviously AVB was of the mind that we were through barring any freak collapse but it was a gamble that very nearly didn't pay off and will result in a few tired legs come the weekend.

Lesson learned by AVB and the team i think.

I'm not sure about the Dempsey/Sigurdsson buys because are they better than VDV was?  I think he was a better AM then either of them are.  Seemed like they signed Dempsey just because he was available (he was cheap though).

As far as team players go yes, much better. But as out and out talent and that spark of creativity goes, no, we could've done with him to add a little more to what Bale does and compensate for not having signed a striker (VDV was a definite goal threat whereas Dempsey and Sigurdsson are capable but lack the killer instinct).

Explain where the other goals come from? Sigurdsson, Lennon and Dempsey have all been providers as have Defoe and Huddlestone. Defoe has 14 golas this season as well (not bad for a striker who's missed a couple of months).

Bale is most definitely a key player for us but the team wouldn't crumble without him. Lat night was a tactical disaster and AVB tried to compensate for not having a left winger by not having any natural wingers on the pitch. Like i said, if Townsend had been available the team would've set up in the style we've been playing in all season and may have lost but not to the same extent and would've spread play against a very rigid Inter side. Huddlestone should've started rather than Livermore, Lennon rather than Sigurdsson, Lloris rather than Friedel, Assou-Ekotto instead of Naughton and Holtby out on the left (as he's played there for Schalke) rather than Defoe. I would've played with the following

-----------------Lloris------------------------

Walker---Gallas---Vertonghen---Assou-Ekotto

-----------------Parker------------------------

-----------Dembele---Huddlestone---------

Lennon--------------------------------Holtby

------------------Adebayor------------------

That set up would've guaranteed a bit more creativity and width and pace but would've given the midfield the guts and strength to keep an eye on the back four. It also would've given a more industrious and balanced bench if the game was dragging and lacking in energy. Obviously AVB was of the mind that we were through barring any freak collapse but it was a gamble that very nearly didn't pay off and will result in a few tired legs come the weekend.

Lesson learned by AVB and the team i think.

I already said, directly or indirectly he is the most important part of that team, even if he hasnt had a direct assist he is ALWAYS involved in the build up play, be it just by dragging defenders into the wrong places because they are so shit scared of him getting the ball. Had Arsenal had him, they would be above you guys, no problem. If City had him, they would be top. 

The games Spurs have not performed in this season have mostly been games when Bale has not been on form, or being marked out the game, when he plays well the team does, when he doesnt, the team looks a shadow of what it can. If he leaves in the summer, you guys will be in trouble, because you cannot replace a guy like that, but i dont think he will leave, at least not for another year before he needs to move to a bigger club.

Bayern were shit last night.

Jenko had a monster game, highlighted when he chased down Robben and just walked off with the ball.  Ref was garbage at points as well, Neuer dives on top of the ball to waste time and Kos gets booked for it.

Hopefully it can inspire something a bit like the second leg of the Milan game last year.

Ref's are rubbish for English team in the Champions League.

Just ask Diddy D

1241699338_drogba-pissed-its-a-disgrace.

Champs League QF draw:

Malaga vs Dortmund

Real Madrid vs Galatasaray

PSG vs Barcelona

Bayern vs Juventus

Good ties, I really want a Barca Dortmund final. It could happen.

I've got a hunch Galatasaray are gonna do Madrid. There are no guaranteed winners in football. Except for Drogba. Drogba always wins.

skinnytieDIY1.jpg

good ties

Would be worried Barca would just steamroll any other team at this stage except PSG or Real. Not to say the other teams aren't good - just that after the exertions against AC, barca aren't gonna fall at this stage against lesser opposition. PSG may give them a go.

I'd say each tie could really go either way and I cant think of a different combo that I would say that for. Bayern v Juve is the standout for me. 

• Upvote 1

PSG v Barca will be beastin' - Ibra with an axe to grind against Barcelona, he'll be kicking folk in the head and all sorts.

Unfortunately he's suspended for the first leg. He's gonna run riot in the second leg though. Barca'll think they're through after winning 3-0 away from home but then BLAMMO! ZLATAN!! 4-0 PSG!!!

• Upvote 1

Would be worried Barca would just steamroll any other team at this stage except PSG or Real. 

I think PSG is about as good as draw as Barca could have got really. PSG, Galatasaray and Malaga are the 3 clearly weaker sides left imo, I could see the other 5 potentially winning it.

Absolutely no way Real are going out in the quarters, I expect them to stroll through it really. 

Bayern - Juve is by far the most interesting tie of the round.

And Bale doesn't carry spurs much more than any other teams are carried by their star player, he needs them as much as they need him. AVB deserves a lot of credit for the progression in his game this season for the way hes' set the team up.

• Upvote 2