aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I disagree totally. Garcia was off-balance because he'd been pulled back therefore his attempted pass wide was unsuccessful as a direct result of the foul. Good decision IMO.

I'm glad you think that Koscielny's red was justified, though, hearing deluded Arsenal fans try and claim it wasn't a sending off is hilarious. It's not even like you could say Dzeko went down easily. Rugby tackle in the six yard box? Clearly a red.

I'd agree with that, and Koscielny's red, it was a stupid challenge and clearly stopped a clear goal scoring oppertunity.

Oh, that's nice of Charles Green to put forward a new proposal. So, so nice of him.

The implementation of "his plan" at the beginning of season 2014/2015 will mean that they are in the top flight a season earlier than the current tiered system would allow (should they get promoted this season and next), and a season earlier than if they went ahead with the current 12-12-18 plan, right?

Right.

I'd agree with that, and Koscielny's red, it was a stupid challenge and clearly stopped a clear goal scoring oppertunity.

My only beef with the red card isn't about Kos or that it was given a red. It's that Stoke do that at every corner/free kick (I know other teams can be bad for it as well) but Huth and Shawcross are by far the worst at it. They just wrap up the attackers every time and refs just ignore it.

Oh, that's nice of Charles Green to put forward a new proposal. So, so nice of him.

The implementation of "his plan" at the beginning of season 2014/2015 will mean that they are in the top flight a season earlier than the current tiered system would allow (should they get promoted this season and next), and a season earlier than if they went ahead with the current 12-12-18 plan, right?

Right.

Not really as at the beginning of the 14/15 season they will have moved into Division 1 and presumably there wouldn't be a relegation from the SPL and the top two teams from Division 1 would go up, which wouldn't be Rangers.

My only beef with the red card isn't about Kos or that it was given a red. It's that Stoke do that at every corner/free kick (I know other teams can be bad for it as well) but Huth and Shawcross are by far the worst at it. They just wrap up the attackers every time and refs just ignore it.

Guess it's easier for them to get away with it in a packed penalty box, but yesterday the ball was passed to the City player and would have dropped right in front of his right foot if he hadn't been hauled down. No-one else near them so it was an easy decision for the ref to award the penalty and send him off.

Doesn't mean that shouldn't also happen at corners. Even if they didn't send people off for it (the amount of defenders in the box for corners would probably negate the clear scoring opportunity qualifier) if they just kept blowing and awarding a retake or a penalty then defenders would stop all that messing about quickly.

I disagree. Sensible play from United. They have learned from the 4-4 against Everton. Welbeck was key to everything United did and he looked knackered by the hour mark, so they brought on two defenders and packed out the midfield. If they kept attacking, it would have created the space that Sturridge and Suarez were desperately trying to make and allowed them to be dangerous. Sturridge was always forced wide and Suarez was doubled up on. Good defending. Saw the game out well. Should have put away more goals in the first half when they had the chance, but going forward in numbers when Liverpool looked to be coming to life could have been disaster.

Guess it's easier for them to get away with it in a packed penalty box, but yesterday the ball was passed to the City player and would have dropped right in front of his right foot if he hadn't been hauled down. No-one else near them so it was an easy decision for the ref to award the penalty and send him off.

Doesn't mean that shouldn't also happen at corners. Even if they didn't send people off for it (the amount of defenders in the box for corners would probably negate the clear scoring opportunity qualifier) if they just kept blowing and awarding a retake or a penalty then defenders would stop all that messing about quickly.

Oh yeah I agree. Like I said I have no problem with the card being red for Kos hugging Dzeko.

But defenders think they can do stuff like that and it starts with corners. If they actually got booked at a corner for that and gave away a penalty for a few weeks it would stop. Some of it is just getting ridiculous I remember watching the Shawcross/Terry duel in their first game this season and it was like rugby tackling.

EDIT: No I take it all back. He SAVED Dzeko.

BAhvdzuCQAM-BHc.jpg:large

• Upvote 1

Looks like Gordon Strachan is going to be the new Scotland boss. Thoughts???

Probably the most high-profile appointment we could make. Happy enough with it but to be honest no appointment would make me positive about the international team just now. Seems to be something about the Scotland team that's cursed, even if we get a decent manager in that doesn't make insane tactical decisions the squad will probably all take the hump and self destruct if we look like qualifying for anything.

Barton is proper classy. What a fanny.

In other news, Manchester City have released Michael Johnson (remember him, from pre-rich Manchester City days) from his lengthy £40k a week contract, where he made only 19 appearances, mostly from the bench, in nearly 6 years. Apparently he's a chubber now, because he goes clubbing and eats big macs.

He was meant to be "the next Steven Gerrard". Not quite, but he's only a fishing rod and a bucket of chicken away from being the next Gazza.

• Upvote 1

Not much sympathy for him though if he's not looking after himself. Apparently he was out partying when injured and getting leathered. He did pretty shite at Leicester on loan last season, so I can't imagine he'll be playing at a high level if he does force a career. Might be destined for the division your lot are in ;)

Holy Shit, sad when that happens to a player with talent, still young enough to carve out a professional career I suppose

Bet he doesn't, though.

Five year deal on £40k a week - he'll be set for the foreseeable (unless he's pissed it away gambling and drinking and shagging - although there are worse ways to spend your money, I guess). Difficult to see a) who'd take a punt on him with his documented attitude problem and b) where he'd want to go to earn peanuts in comparison to what he's used to.

Can see him retiring tbh.

Kompany's red card has been overturned: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21033817

Very surprised that the appeal was successful, but fair enough. Maybe this'll be a shift towards being more sensible about issuing red cards for tackles that are "hard but fair" (i.e. with no intent to hurt anyone).

EDIT= Mike Dean's gotta be pretty bummed though...based on recent precedent it was definitely a red (both feet off the ground and all that).