aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Good article about probably the most likable team in the Premier League http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/08/swansea-city-different-route-league-cup

Nice article, thanks for sharing that! It's good to see how they run their team in an ambitious, yet sustainable way and I love the idea of the philosophy being right through the club, and the manager buying into that, not the other way around. Great for consistency.

Ticket prices for the premier league are so crazy in general. There seems to be a big deal being made out of this especially as it's Arsenal and they do have the highest prices in the league but it's every team that's doing it. Seen on twitter today everyone talking about it away tickets at Man City were £59 so it's not much different. Even teams like Norwich and co cash in on big teams coming in and charge over £50 a seat.

There really needs to be some control by the premier league on ticketing as well as well as doing away with the whole categorising tickets crap meaning you have to pay more to see "big" teams when in reality for the club some of the smaller games might be more important to their survival.

An away ticket for a seat at Loftus Road, possibly the shittiest ground in top flight football, costs around £55. I'd rather pay £62 to go to the cushy Emirates, safe in the knowledge the stands aren't going to fall down any moment, and probably not even get rained on thanks to the big bowl roof.

As you say, an away ticket at the Emptyhad is about £60 anyway, so not sure why it's mostly City fans kicking up a stink about it.

It really does feel like Lambert is picking up a club that has been very poorly run for the last few years. Big money spent in places (Darren Bent mainly) but with bad contracts having no relegation wage cuts in the contracts is madness for a club like that.

He'll be given next season in my opinion and even if they do go down he'll at least get to start the season with them before he comes under serious pressure.

Totally agree with this. The recent past at Aston Villa in terms of player recruitment has involved paying high transfer fees, extortionate agent fees in relation to those transfers, and long contracts with high basic wage figures. The theory was that these players were largely experienced players with European and international experience. This has proved pretty unfruitful and Villa have recruited a number of absolute mercenaries. You can see what Paul Lambert is attempting to do - discover and recruit young, hungry, and motivated players from lower echelons who have the desire and ambition to (im)prove themselves and play for the team. These players cost significantly less in transfer and agency fees, not to mention the more economic contracts these individuals can be offered. Of course, these players are not yet rounded in terms of technique and tactical awareness (not to mention consistency), but that's part and parcel of investing in younger players.

I admire Lambert's approach. I'm not convinced they'll go down, but they're certainly in for another proper relegation fight. I hope they stay up purely for the ethos Lambert is trying to cultivate at the club, but there's an element of me that wishes they go down to give some of their supporters a reality check. That said, a decent amount of them do seem to be sensitive to what Lambert is trying to achieve and generally avoid blaming him.

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/209102-rangers-chief-charles-green-claims-club-should-leave-scotland/

Atlantic League and leaving Scottish football all being discussed, but at least the numpty recognises there isn't means for it to happen any time soon. Annoyingly he does make good point about winning the league but not getting promoted.

They will be promoted, currently they play in the 4th division, next season they will play in the 3rd division. :)

Thing is, would they care if they were in the SPL? Of course not, but we're suppose to feel sorry for poor Rangers who cheated their way through the last 10 years and got caught out for it.

Fuck them, leave them in the bottom division, let the cunts rot.

• Upvote 1

Just who the actual fuck does Charles Green think he or Rangers are? Total fuckwits. "Rangers should leave Scotland" - should they? Really? Where should they go? They are a Scottish club that are hugely bitter about being correctly punished in line with the laws of Scottish football for cheating and tax evasion. In fact, they were arguably treated more favourably than other clubs that simply went bust.

I personally would love to see them fuck off elsewhere. Scottish football for me has been nothing but a more pleasant and enjoyable experience since they were shoved into Division Three. Fuck 'em.

• Upvote 5

Lets be fair here, all that is happening is Green is pandering to the idiots that follow that club, very little else, he says what the vast majority of the morons want to hear in order to keep them onside, god fordib they would actually sit up and pay attention to the fact they are playing the worst football you could possibly imagine, with a manger who seems pretty tactically inept and a squad of mercenaries who are only there for a huge pay packet, its better to keep them thinking about how everyone else has screwed them over, than thinking about their own team.

Plus, in the share guide, Green stands to make a lot of money from the club if they are fast tracked back into the SPL, now that is out the window and he is not happy about it.

My enthusiasm for Scottish football was well and truly reignited this season, purely because that "institution" called Rangers Football Club are no longer involved in the top flight. A club which lacks an enormous amount of integrity and quite evidently has a tangible sense of over-inflated self-importance is not needed in the SPL. I have loved getting back into Scottish football this season. I might even go to some games 'n shit.

In saying that, Rangers are correct on one level: they really should leave Scottish football. Go anywhere else. Anywhere else that is willing to accept a corrupt and assuming club like Rangers deserves them. I, and I'm sure many many others, could not give two shakes of a monkey's rumpled foreskin where they go to. But for some reason, they think everyone should care. Incorrect, Rangers Football Club. Incorrect.

Fuck off Rangers, and take your arrogance and aggressive self-pity with you. Dickheads.

• Upvote 6

If the Scottish leagues stayed the same as they are currently and Rangers were assumed to win their league on a yearly basis back to the SPL then that would take another 2 seasons. If they start in the lowest of the 3 prospective leagues and you assume they win each year then that also takes 2 years does it not? So they aren't being knocked back the way really, they are just remaining in the bottom league as it would be. The assertions that they will just be remaining in the same league with all the same teams is just baws.

So really they are huffing because the proposed new league structure does not facilitate a more speedy return for them to the SPL, which, let's face it, a few months back, everyone was in anticipation of but hopefully this indicates that everyone now has some confidence that the SPL will not implode as per the RFC predictions....

• Upvote 2

I hope Rangers are called out on this one. The SPL/SFL should give them the ultimatum of A) leave or B) stay and give your support for the reformed plans. Does he really think anyone takes him seriously about leaving? Of course you'll leave you fucking pudding, you'll leave and go and play in the other league in Scotland...actually no...I mean they can play in the Premiersh...no wait...that Atlantic League is about to be...just a second I'll think of something.

Put the pressure back on them and if they want to shit where they eat then they should take some consequences for it. Personally I'd be happy for having them as part of the discussions if they had the common good of Scottish football as their main agenda. While I don't particularly like the 12-12-18 with a split idea there are areas of progress and anything to instigate change and discussion between the clubs can only be a good thing. It's still early days Mr Green, you'll get your chance to have your say. Otherwise, do us all a favour and stick to your word...

• Upvote 2

The two most important things with all this are we get rid of the 11-1 voting system, and we get rid of the SPL as a single body, i can handle a couple of seasons of wacky league rules if it means these two things are pushed through. The 11-1 vote has crippled any progress for years now and the SPL are fucking hopeless.

• Upvote 2

Sense from the Falkirk chairman,

"I think the most important thing just now is to get the framework right and if we get the framework right, we can worry about the actual league structure as a secondary issue.

"The framework is a fairer distribution, more opportunities for promotion than relegation and I think the new governance structure is essential because if we don't have the new governance structure, we'll be left forever with the 11-1 [majority] vote [needed] in the SPL and nothing will happen.

"If it turns out that this is a bad model and the fans don't like it and the clubs don't like it, we can change it. But once we've got one new governance model, it'll be a damn sight easier to change than it will be today."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20985928

Newcastle United captain Fabricio Coloccini has told the club he wants to leave in January for personal reasons.

While the 30-year-old has not handed in a formal transfer request, a crisis in his personal life means he no longer feels he can stay on Tyneside.

Further talks are planned in the coming days, with Newcastle set to do all they can to persuade the Argentina international to change his mind.

But club officials fear Coloccini has set his heart on a return to Argentina.

Coloccini is on £60,000 per week and the best paid player at St James' Park.