aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21075388

If this is the sort of candidate coming forward for the United woe is definitely us *thumbs down*

Like I said earlier in the thread I hope it's Levein. He did a great job before and would be happy to have him back.

As for Adkins. Southampton were a club I found it very easy to like. Great fans, lovely little stadium, great youth development, totally deserve to be in the EPL unlike the likes of Wigan and their 1000 fans etc.

Now they've done this though I hope they go back down. Back to back promotions from Adkins and performing in the premier league as well as that squad could hope to do! Granted they had an awful start but since then they've been doing a lot better.

Really hope he makes it down there. If he doesn't, and disappears into obscurity it will be one of the biggest losses of talent from Scottish football I can remember.

Also, Aberdeen's chances of a 2nd place league finish have taken a big blow. He's had a mental number of assists so far this season.

• Upvote 1

Like I said earlier in the thread I hope it's Levein. He did a great job before and would be happy to have him back.

As for Adkins. Southampton were a club I found it very easy to like. Great fans, lovely little stadium, great youth development, totally deserve to be in the EPL unlike the likes of Wigan and their 1000 fans etc.

Now they've done this though I hope they go back down. Back to back promotions from Adkins and performing in the premier league as well as that squad could hope to do! Granted they had an awful start but since then they've been doing a lot better.

I don't think we've got the money for Levein in all honesty.

Really hope he makes it down there. If he doesn't, and disappears into obscurity it will be one of the biggest losses of talent from Scottish football I can remember.

Also, Aberdeen's chances of a 2nd place league finish have taken a big blow. He's had a mental number of assists so far this season.

Yeah, six assists apparently. It's a blow, but we'll do okay I'm sure. We have players coming back from injury and a Josh Magennis that seems to enjoy playing wide left...

Is it just me or is this a strange move for Ryan Fraser? Does he really have a better chance of progressing as a footballer at Bournemouth than he would have at Aberdeen?

I could understand the move to one of the top Championship clubs or a Premiership club but to a mid level League 1 club just doesn't make sense to me.

There is a good article on Aberdeen-mad, I believe it was written by one of the posters from here. Anyway, he puts it better than I ever could.

http://www.aberdeen-mad.co.uk/feat/edz1/the_ambition_fallacy_ruining_scottish_football_772324/index.shtml

Well the thing is, he is moving to a club that has a training facility 100 times better than we do, to a club that seems to be going somewhere after a few major disasters, they have a lot of money backing them up, and they have by all accounts a very good young manager, it could be the perfect club for him to make a name down south. Or it could be the worse thing that he ever decided to do and he could disappear into the english lower leagues for a few years before signing for Hibs on loan. Either way he will be making a ton more money than he was here, and he gets away from Scottish football. Whilst im extremely disappointed to lose him, i fully understand why we did.

The other thing is, we think he should have been a bit more loyal to the dons, but the dons were ready to ditch him because they wernt convinced, we showed him no loyalty until he started performing, and then all of a sudden desperately threw a contract at him when they woke up and saw how good he could be. The kid must have shown his skill to the coaches before now, but we waited so long to tie him down. Like Fyvie and like Grimmer, we only have ourselves to blame here, again.

Yeah, good article, written by Christy off of here (if you like his work, you should check out the good things he does on drums for my band lol).

He'll have (at least) doubled the basic wage Aberdeen were offering him in the end (with probably bonuses for promotion, appearances, etc and a structure whereby at the end of his three-and-a-half year deal he'll be on a decent wage comparatively), scored himself a nice signing on fee and his agent will have made a percentage of all of that.

Furthermore, he has moved to a club which has ambitious owners (Russian oil money, I believe), nice training facilities and a young manager who seems pretty hungry for success. Plus, I have no doubt that the abuse he's received on whatever social media since not signing his deal will have played a part. Aberdeen fans on the whole are pretty terrible.

Don't get me wrong, for footballing reasons it is a bad move (that said, League 1 is possibly a better move for him than the Championship where he'd likely sit on the bench week-to-week at the moment). But financially, it makes sense.

• Upvote 4

Moving to a top Championship or Premier club would be pointless. I mentioned this when we talked about him not signing before Scott Allan left Dundee United after about a year and a half of good performances for west brom and that's about the level he's getting loaned out to every 3 months so I don't see the problem with him signing there.

Obviously it's a sad day for your club as you put the effort in to train him up etc but that's just the way it is. More money and I'm sure your lack of training facilities is one of the things holding you guys back. It's a shame in that sense the new stadium got binned at least you would have got top notch facilities.

Don't get me wrong, for footballing reasons it is a bad move (that said, League 1 is possibly a better move for him than the Championship where he'd likely sit on the bench week-to-week at the moment). But financially, it makes sense.

That's the thing, does it make sense financially? In the short term, yes. Long term? I'm not so sure.

I just think he's jumped ship too early. I'll add that I'm not one of these Dons fans foaming at the mouth, I'm aware that this is how the modern game works.

I wish him well but I think he has been badly advised by agents and has made the wrong decision.

Time will tell.

Good article by Christy, but I think we've learned by now that money is the key motivational factor for almost every person when making career decisions, especially in a sector which has very public examples of disproportional positive remuneration, which is something the football industry is massively guilty of (that said, I do still recognise the role that supply and demand plays in the football recruitment market).

Ryan Fraser has decided to move on because he wants to maximise the amount of money he earns as a young man, and, unquestionably, the child is being very poorly advised by his agency. The agency exist almost purely to generate profit. Therefore, a move from Aberdeen to Bournemouth is not strange in the slightest. It's an ambitious little club which, in my opinion, will probably be playing Championship football next season, or certainly the season following. They are in a position to offer more money than Aberdeen, and that suits every party involved.

I think we're sometimes guilty of overestimating the reputation and fiscal ability of SPL clubs. Celtic aside, the average SPL club is on a par with lower League One and League Two clubs. At best.

I hope for Ryan's benefit he'll get a fair chance to prove his worth as a player for Bournemouth, but personally, I don't think he'll do much at that level so early on in his career; later in his career, I can see him having to take two steps backwards in order to make a step forward again (by that, I mean he'll be back in Scottish football in a few years, probably playing for Dundee or Dunfermline).

• Upvote 1

3 and a half year deal on a rumoured £3k per week, compared to the 3 and half year deal the dons offered on supposively £1k a week. Difference between £52k a year and £156k a year. Thats a hell of a lot of money. Even if it doesnt work out he will have cleared a damn sight more money than he would have up here.

3 and a half year deal on a rumoured £3k per week, compared to the 3 and half year deal the dons offered on supposively £1k a week. Difference between £52k a year and £156k a year. Thats a hell of a lot of money. Even if it doesnt work out he will have cleared a damn sight more money than he would have up here.

You're right, Milner and you could argue that he has made the right decision to move rather than wait a couple of years for a hypothetical move to a bigger club, paying bigger wages, that may never transpire.

I just hope he gets a fair crack at it at Bournemouth and doesn't disappear like the rest of the youth that have left AFC recently.