aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Every time De Gea makes some small mistake it's blown all out of proportion by idiots. A tweet put on the beeb today called him the worst goalkeeper they've had since Taibi. Sure he's made some mistakes but he's also made some amazing saves and got utd some good points lately. He really should become a top top keeper for them for years to come and only an idiotic decision to keep dropping him for the average at best Lindegaard will stop him.

• Upvote 1

Every time De Gea makes some small mistake it's blown all out of proportion by idiots. A tweet put on the beeb today called him the worst goalkeeper they've had since Taibi. Sure he's made some mistakes but he's also made some amazing saves and got utd some good points lately. He really should become a top top keeper for them for years to come and only an idiotic decision to keep dropping him for the average at best Lindegaard will stop him.

Totally agree. The media have a lot to answer for, they've practically ruined the careers of Heurelho Gomes, Paul Robinson, Massimo Taibi and Ben Foster in recent times by whipping up a frenzy over really small mistakes that any keeper could make on any day, the sort of freak shit that you couldn't bet might happen in a game because it's so outlandish.

I agree 100% with the vast majority of this, but do you think a team like Man United can afford to have a learning, sometimes fragile player between the posts? I know they're top of the league and that their firepower can probably compensate for their defensive shortcomings, but I dunno. He can be an excellent 'keeper for years to come, one of the best in the continent, but can United, a club who need to continually challenge at the highest level and can't allow any weak links, afford to play him through his mistakes? I genuinely don't know the answer, but I'd certainly play him over Lindegaard. I do think that De Gea is an excellent shot stopper, but he reminds me of Petr Cech after his injury. Timid; a constant worry when coming to collect balls or diving at a striker's feet.

De Gea reminds me of Given. Ridiculous reactions from close range, and he probably earns more points than he loses the team by saving more than he lets in, but when a high cross comes in and a striker is winning a header inside the 6 yard box, you have to wonder what he's thinking just allowing it to happen. I do like him alot, and he is 10 times the goalkeeper Lindegaard is, who is probably just another Tom Kusczcak at best. A reasonable backup, but certainly not a league title winning goalkeeper. I don't think De Gea has made any mistakes recently, but his lack of willingness to claim crosses so close to his goal are something he definitely needs to work on. I don't blame him for the first Villa goal. It was a bollock of a strike. The view from behind Weimann showed the ball moving around alot, and it looked like De Gea saw it late, as Rio was right infront of him. He maybe should've done better with it, but you can probably say that about loads of goals every weekend, but because it's young Dave, who is in the hotseat replacing the practically invincible Van Der Sar, he's torn to pieces about it.

The only real howler of a mistake I think he's ever made for United was on his debut in the Community Shield last season, with that Dzeko shot that went right through him. Other than that, he gets better all the time. He was very, very harshy dropped for Vidic's own goal when they played Fulham in August. That was pretty shocking considering the string of saves he made in stoppage time to keep it 3-2. The own goal was bad luck, and nobodies fault really, but Fergie said he'd made a mistake in that game, and Lindegaard played the next 3 games.

Keepers make mistakes, even the best ones. No keeper is invincible, but it's a shame when young goalkeepers are piled with harsh criticism. As Phil said, Ben Foster had a torrid time of it when Van Der Sar was injured. I'm glad he's gone on to prove doubters wrong. He's pretty solid these days.

The mighty Newport! It sounds like Cambridge are having a torrid time of it at the moment.

It's been pretty grim this season but just occasionally like yesterday we put in a good shift, hope we can build on it, last time we had a good win we didn't win for six games. The Newport area is rugby mad, there was only 1,700 (87 from Cambridge!) at the match and they're top of the league. They have money behind them, their chairman won 45 million quid or so but wisely he is not spunking it all on the team!

I think it's clear from the BBC article here that Charles Green is an utter dick and they've been planning a restructure from the beginning to get back in the top tier. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20302632

He's such a child, saying they'll never play in the SPL again all the time knowing they planned to restructure and call it something else. I hope scottish football tells him to get stuffed. This is the best season in years, we don't need them.

• Upvote 2

I bet if De Gea had conceded the goal Joe Hart conceded against Spurs yesterday, Sky Sports' regular dickhead Alan Smith would have started a riot. Smith seems to stick his oar in about De Gea every time he does a United game, yet Joe Hart is the second coming of jesus. Bit of a howler for Joe Harts standards, mind, but further proof that great goalkeepers make mistakes.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/200282-spl-and-sfl-at-loggerheads-over-scottish-league-reconstruction-plans/

So we have two bodies doing their own reconstruction, with a third body coming up with a solution if they other two don't agree on what is happening. No wonder Scottish football is in such a state. Can we not just get someone with a modicum of common sense to lock them all in a room until two options are formed and agreed on with the fans choosing the best fit.