aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I didn't support England's opponents as much as I naturally used to yesterday. I might even go as far as to say I watched the game as a neutral. I think I don't hate them this time around because I like their manager and there has not been the usual expectancy that they are going to win it. I am a bit disappointed because it is usually an element of the tournament I tend to really enjoy - The Germany game in S.A. was absolutely brilliant.

Sheva :woohoo:

Guest Gladstone

I was definitely rooting for England yesterday. I even gave out a little "yes" and a wee fistpump when Lescott scored. I thought England were a little bit disappointing because France were there for the taking really. England were retreating and retreating and retreating until they were all nearly on top of Hart when France had the ball. I realise it's a tough one because you don't want to give Ribery the chance to get in behind, but France were lining up for shooting practice sometimes and that's what led to the goal. Gerrard and Parker should have been stepping up off of the defence's toes. Milner should have scored when he rounded the keeper - it wasn't an easy chance but a professional footballer should be knocking that in or at least finding the target and the defender might have got back in time. Hodgson was slow with his substitutions and he took on the wrong striker. At 1-1 with 10 minutes to go with everying tiring (in the England side more so than the France side), Andy Carroll should have came on for Wellbeck so they had an out ball and I'd have taken on Walcott for Young to run at the defenders. Chamberlain was England's biggest threat going forward so I wouldn't have taken him off. Oh - and great goal by Lescott, he did really well and showed a lot of determination to get on the end of it and did well to keep it low. Well played you handsome bastard.

I always try and get behind England (except in rugby) but usually last about 5 minutes into the first game before I’m laughing at their expense. I tend to find the whole support-whoever-England-play mentality tragically Scottish all the same, and I’m glad to say I was behind them last night. They have a few good enough lads - like The Ox, Lescott, Hart, Parker and Theo – and a likeable manager, which made it easier, and there is less of that arrogant undertone in the commentary and punditry. I did notice a change in tone when England scored, but I think overall the media have the right idea. They aren’t considered a huge force any more, and rightly so after their embarrassing campaign in Saith Aifrica. John Terry is a big issue for me, but I can get over one player being a total chunt. So aye, c’mon England (and Ireland).

Their strip is cool as fuck as well.

Guest Gladstone

The problem I see here is that the understatedness of it all will work in England's favour initially because of less pressure etc. but it can quickly change. I thought England played a lot more freely with the ball yesterday in that they didn't seem to panic (maybe a little towards the end when they were hanging on for a draw to a certain extent) but as I said they were stepping too far off the opposition when defending. So, yeah what I'm trying to get to is that if they qualify from this group which I think they will, the understatedness of it all will gradually diminish and the media will go into overdrive about how England can win the tournament after a slow start against France (who the media by that time will say are terrible, but then France will go on to win the tournament or something ridiculous). They can't just let things pan out. If England start out with low expectations, that's all fine and well and they tend to not get over excited or hype the team up and they can go about their business, but one little whiff of the team looking half decent and the media/pundits/commentators start to ruin it for everyone. They do my fucking nut in. After England scored last night, that dick of a commentator (don't even know who he is) started to hint towards England being a force etc. He was shut up pretty quickly when France scored but if he put his sensible head on he could clearly see that France were dangerous coming forward and England were stepping off a bit AND England scored from a set piece, which (Milner chance aside) looked like the only way England were going to score. Yes, they were organised and yes they didn't look to be shitting themselves as much as they normally do in tournaments, and yes, of course they have a chance if things go their way and they keep the head screwed on etc. etc. but they must only be about 6th or 7th favourites behind Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands (despite the defeat), and even Russia and Portugal. If England had snuck a win yesterday, everyone would have been creaming themselves especially with Rooney to come back into the team etc. I think that's when it will go wrong for England actually because if England have coped without Rooney, they will then automatically become world beaters with Rooney. Don't forget that England are almost incapable of beating Sweden. Massive bogey team for England.

That said, I think they'll go through (and hope they do), but I also hope that someone sews the mouths of the commentators shut when England are playing. England should go mental and somehow fit in Rooney, Wellbeck, Young, Walcott and the Ox when Rooney is back. That would be a scary attack for any defence. I realise Hodgson will never go that mental but it would be good to see. Fuck defending - just go for it.

WE'RE GONNA SMASH SWEDEN UP*.

I didn't enjoy watching the match yesterday. Clive Tyldsley's commentary always puts me on edge as does seeing 8 men dropping back to the edge of the 6-yard box when the opposition has the ball. I still think we're good enough backline to be able to cope with most teams without resorting to that kind of panic-stricken defending plus it might help to have a midfield closer to the middle of the field for us keep the ball when we get it .

On Friday I'm going to mute the TV and play some Kvelertak. Hopefully that'll stop me from getting too stressed out watching the game.

*for 60 minutes then Ibra will decide he wants to score a hat trick and we'll lose 3-2

England really should have had more of a go at France. Their defence isn't too hot. Mexes is one of the most immobile footballers on the planet. I walk faster than he sprints. Rami is reasonable. Evra started his career not knowing how to defend, he then became really good at defending, but then he decided he doesn't like defending anymore, so doesn't do it. also, that young French RB looked ace as an attacker, but like King Pat, also hates to defend. He never tracked back. Ox should have ran riot, but we were too cautious and rarely piled forwards to give the wingers some space to attack and expose Frances' poor defence.

As has been said, our defence is good enough without having to park the bus. Glen Johnson gets it in the neck, but he's improved his defending greatly over the past year or so, so the backline is strong. And Parker will throw his body infront of anything and tidy up where needed. Gerrard still has something to offer, but it's not as a deep midfielder, he needs to be playing a bit further forward, arguably where Ashley Young was playing, allowing Young to drift outwide, or play on the shoulder, giving Welbeck some much needed support, as whilst he's great at holding the ball up, he's not the type of striker who will also create a bit of space to get a shot away in the same movement. He needs someone very close to him when he recieves the ball.

France were probably the better team, but they had plenty of the ball but very few clear chances. We defended well, but seemed happy with a draw. Both teams looked far too afraid to lose, it was always going to be a nervy and scrappy game. I think we'll be much more positive in the next two group games, go through, and get smashed in the quarter finals. The ideal situation would be to win each of the knockout games and the final all on penalties, just to shut the pundits up about bloody penalties in future tournaments.

I think France really needed to take Benzema off at about 70 minutes he was refusing to get in the box or run behind defenders he was just joining the line of midfielders on the edge of the box. In the latter parts of the game France had most of the possession and spent it in the England half they just needed someone to go behind the defence and try and make some runs or ping some balls at him. Giroud would have been perfect for that.

Benzema was annoying. I don't understand why he played so deep when he was the lone striker, and nobody was overlapping him. He made some good runs at the defence in the first half, but then dropped far too deep and just pottered about. He's not really the best at playing the #10 role, despite what the number on his shirt says.

Anyway. Back to the real Euro 2012 again:

The Swedes, as always, didn't disappoint, except on the pitch, and with that LIVERPOOL TATTOO. Other than that, solid performance.

euro-2012-twitpics-day-4-5.jpg

The Dutch squad have a real sense of togetherness. They certainly have nothing to fear and look very much up for it:

euro-2012-twitpics-day-4-23.jpg

However, predictable disappointment from the Irish:

euro-2012-twitpics-day-4-12.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Fuck - that Irish bird has at least 4 boobs on show, maybe 4.

The camera did keep cutting to a couple of hot Irish bird during the game, so you may be being unfair...

Guest Gladstone

Rangers are looking increasingly fucked. The only thing that can save them now is the SPL clubs bottling it and voting them back into the league. Liquidation is almost a certainty and "newco" Rangers will become a reality. That means no European football for a minimum of 3 years. What it should also mean is getting booted to fuck out of the SPL and the if the SFL will have them, they should be made to start in Division 3. It would make my year if they first get punted out of the SPL and then the SFL don't want them either.

I still don't see that Scottish football will die without Rangers (like one Hun was telling me at work today). It just doesn't add up. They really don't bring that much money to the other clubs. They generate a lot of money for Rangers, for Celtic and the TV and newpaper companies but the money they generate for the rest of us? It's not make or break.

It might hurt a bit but the teams and the game will survive.

Unfortunately unless they're actually convicted or the big tax case result is released before an SPL vote on the issue then they'll get voted in. The clubs will say there's no basis to refuse them. If the various enquiries and the EBT case would actually come to a resolution and definitively judge Rangers to have cheated their way to titles then the clubs would have a solid case to refuse entry.

A few weeks ago i said something alone the lines that they will never get rid of the huns, but since they went to a civil court with the transfer ban the feeling coming from the other SPL clubs has changed a bit, i dont know if they will get the 8 votes required now to stay in the SPL because they have brough the game into disripute on a number of things, the tax case is one thing, but taking a footballing matter into the courts and possibly harming the national side, or the other SPL clubs is another altogether. The general feeling from the fans of the other clubs also seems to be hitting home, is it worth keeping Rangers in the league but possibly suffereing from lower attendances because of it?

The annoying thing this has been dragged out for so long now, they just need to sort this out now once and for all so we can all move on, especially for Rangers fans, as much as i cannot stand the club its not something you would want on any football fan, they are not to blame for what has happened.

Guest Gladstone

I think they've got the justificatin not to vote them on the basis that they've been liquidated. The club has been functioning well outwith its means if it gets liquidated. I realise a lot of clubs have a workable amount of debt most of the time, but Rangers have got themselves into one hoor of a mess despite all the revenue they generate for themselves. If I was on the board of an SPL club I'd be voting 'no' regardless of the outcome of the tax case.

A few weeks ago i said something alone the lines that they will never get rid of the huns, but since they went to a civil court with the transfer ban the feeling coming from the other SPL clubs has changed a bit.

I read words to this effect from the Dundee Utd chairman recently. It seemed a certainty they would be let back into the SPL but he seemed to indicate how they have acted recently has pissed a lot of the SPL members. Apparently the other clubs are meeting on Monday to decide on whether a newco stay in the league or not.

I really think clubs will struggle financially as the revenue Rangers bring to them, be it from gate receipts, league sponsorship or TV deals, will leave a pretty big hole in their budgets. Turnover of most of the SPL clubs is in the region of £4-£5 million a year so they will certainly feel the pinch from not having Rangers in the league. However, I hope that opportunities are taken to change voting structures and this would force clubs to learn to operate without relying on the Old Firm. This could be a difficult time for Scottish football but also a chance for big change and give the game a better outlook in the long term.

SPL clubs need to weigh up the loss of revenue from Govan Athletic being in the 3rd division, against the probable greater loss of revenue caused by thousands of fans refusing to renew season tickets because those cheating cunts have been let off scot free.

A couple of thousand of fans missing from every game through fan apathy should cause far more alarm to chairmen than a few thousand Hun fans missing from every 11th game.

BDO have been appointed as liquidators by HMRC. Which means I guess that Duff and Phelps no longer have the power to sell to Green and assets will be sold to the highest bidder to get as much money back as possible for the taxpayer and creditors.

1. Accountancy Age reports that BDO partners Malcolm Cohen and James Stephen will be appointed joint-liquidators to Rangers.
    Cohen said: "Once BDO is formally appointed' date=' the joint liquidators will be seeking to protect any remaining assets, maximise recoveries for the benefit of creditors, and investigate the reasons behind the failure of the company."
    [*']And their report continues: "It is right that there is a full and robust investigation into why the company failed, together with concerted efforts to recover monies for creditors and the taxpayer. This may include pursuit of possible claims against those responsible for the financial affairs of the company in previous years."