aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Arnason's not really made much of a move up, and I think he was misjudged his negotiations. I doubt he'll quite be on 5k but Rotheram will be competitive with us, with regards to wages, and probably pay him more.

He would have had more exposure here, but to be honest he's probably playing in a better league. I would equate most of the SPL (outwith the OF) with Conference/League 2 levels of footballing skill. Entertainment wise, League 2/Conference is better.

Yeah, Arnason's move has been motivated by money first and foremost. I can sort of understand that he's getting older and wants a decent contract particularly after being fucked about at Plymouth for a bit. He will be on similar money at Rotheram to what Aberdeen offered him in his 'improved offer', but as already discussed that offer was withdrawn when we signed Rae and Hughes.

Poland playing well and Greece are shocking. Lewanowski looks a great player, really good eye for goal and very active. The interplay down their right hand side, especially that RB that used to be a forward, is looking promising. Wasilewski? Is that his name?

Greece are so bad though. Defence is a shamble and their keeper is flapping at everything. Oldest player at the tournament not showing his experience. Can't see where a goal is going to come from, despite Samaras' tenacious defending from the front.

What I will say is that both yellows were a joke. Second one, maaaaaybe, but Sokratis should never have been sent off. Ref started well but is fading fast.

Salpingidis has been tremendous since coming on, but I want Poland to win. The Greeks are dirty, obnoxious cheats (in this game at least, anyway). Scezsney, or however the fuck you spell it, almost cost his team the game. 2 awful errors.

I know! Opening group games are usually so cagey, but both games have been excellent, with free flowing football and lots of talking points. Arshavin's playing a blinder tonight, btw.

Nah the two centre backs are v.solid, Berezutski and Ignasevich. So much experience between them and good relationship built up from CSKA. Ability to defend is there, just about the desire to track back, more than anything. You could be right though!

This is turning into some hammering now, though.

Guest Gladstone

Fuck all this Euro 2012 bollocks, you all want to hear about the Crighton Comeback Part 3, right?

New Deer FC Update:

Crighton was given his first start of his comeback filling in at the left side of a 3 man defence. Crighton was feeling fit and sharp at the start of the game but always a bit nervy out of position in defence. Some good solid defending all round from the back 3 and well timed challenges gave the team something to build on with the young front three of Tait, Milne and Neil looking sharper than the usual ageing front three. Neil opened the scoring after Duncan flicked on Milne's corner at the near post and Neil beat the keeper in the air. New Deer dominated most of the first half but Mormond were coming back into it towards the end of the half and the whistle came at the right time. Mormond came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half but Crighton, L. Raper and J. Heatherwick were dealing with everything Mormond could throw at them. Neil overhit his cross just five minutes into the half but Duncan was there at the back post to control and smash the ball into the top corner. Mormond continued to pile on the pressure and were starting to find some gaps and slack covering from the New Deer front line saw the Mormond right back drifting forward and pulling one back for Mormond. The next 30 minutes or so was a scrappy affair with some great last ditch defending from the New Deer back three. Crighton's man drifted away from him in the box but Crighton threw himself in the way of the cross and managed to nip it off the toes of the striker to prevent the equaliser. Mormond had a late chance which Crighton got back in to block in the 6 yard box and New Deer managed to ride the storm until the final whistle, recording only their second league win of the season.

Onwards and upwards.

• Upvote 3

Watched the Poland/Greece game with loads of Polish people which was ace. Very impressed with their full-backs and the three Dortmund players but how they didn't smash Greece is beyond me. Should've been over in the first half but Plato's boys rallied well and my doppelganger, who scored the equaliser, should probably have had at least one more. The ref was shite, but that only adds to the fun when you've got no real emotional attachment to either team.

Sadly missed the Russia game which is a ballache. Sounds like a corker. Got that Shorikov (sp?) boy in my fantasy football, should've went for Dzagoev and all.

Today's games look ace. I think the Netherlands are gonna fuck everyone up after catenaccio-ing their way to the last World Cup final, then there's Germany vs. Portugal which should be ace. Portugal are a bit of a mess but they have some crazy attacking players and some absolutely lunatics at the back. Looking forward to seeing what Reus and Gotze can do, and how Germany deal with the irresistibly sublime footballing force that is HELDER POSTIGA.

Sunday looks tasty as fuck too. Croatia vs. Ireland should be good because they're pretty evenly matched and Croatia have quite a talented pool of players aged between 23 and 25. Spain vs. Italy though? Totally baller. A lot of people assume that Italy are total crap these days, which is a load of old toot. They actually beat a strong Spain side 2-1 not so long ago and Prandelli is a genius manager. A'right, they're not gonna win the tournament, but they're pretty good. Also, Italy are probably going to play 3-5-2 with De Rossi playing as an old-school libero. How amazing is that? Who the hell plays a libero in 2012? Fucking Prandelli, that's who. Cassano is back and has a massive point to prove at a major tournament, and Pirlo is just off one of the best seasons of his career. Italy are my dark horses for sure... now watch them get fucked 5-0 tomorrow.

FITBA.

Just got round to watching yesterday's highlights, the Ruskies are looking pretty tidy. The first red card in the Greece Poland game was a bit questionable. Looked as though the striker had already lost his footing and was on his way down when the defender got in his way.

2 great games so far. Remember how everyone was all 'it's going to pick up soon' after the first few games of the last World Cup - and it never did. Shit games throughout. This is already shaping up to be a great tournament. It's not even all about goals either, Some tidy football got played yesterday and the teams were a lot more value for money than I expected (except the czechs I spose -but they've been poor for a while).