aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

He plays out wide for United. He played behind Gabby alot at Villa and seems to play where Rooney played behind Heskey for England these days. He's good at it, purely because he's one of England's very few two footed players, but United don't play a formation that really accommodates, though he does drift in to the middle for United, and that's essentially how he scores all his goals.

Welbeck is flawed, but still a good player. He's not just about goals. His physicality and support play has improved massively since he came through the ranks as a skinny, lanky whippet at age 17. He looked shit and frail back then. He came back from his Sunderland loan spell looking like a monster. I think Steve Bruce had him bench pressing small hatchbacks. Remember that game where him and Gyan tore Chelsea a new arsehole on their own patch? He was the bollocks. He's not the best in the world by a long shot, but he's got more to offer than any other English striker at the moment, other than Rooney - but Rooney himself often chooses to play really shit for England.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Apparently the England team is :

Hart

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Milner Gerrard Parker Oxlade-Chamberlain,

Young Welbeck

About the best that could be hoped for given the squad. The main thing is no Downing and Henderson, always a plus.

That's a strong side actually and capable of beating France I reckon. Glad to see Milner in the starting line-up, solely because he's in my dream team. Glad Hodgson is playing Young and Wellbeck and not opted for a "target-man" shaped like Andy Carroll, which would have inevitably led to everyone lumping long balls for him to miscontrol.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Lucky - give your head a fucking shake. Darren Mackie would not score 10 goals a season if he played for Man United. Would he fuck. He would be up against actual good defenders in the Premier League and he would be lucky if he even touched the ball, let alone scored a goal. You've been in the Czech Republic for too long and are forgetting how shit SPL defending is.

Lucky - give your head a fucking shake. Darren Mackie would not score 10 goals a season if he played for Man United. Would he fuck. He would be up against actual good defenders in the Premier League and he would be lucky if he even touched the ball, let alone scored a goal. You've been in the Czech Republic for too long and are forgetting how shit SPL defending is.

I stand by that. He wouldn't be making mazy runs and the likes, but simply by being in or around the box for a team that creates that many chances, he would pick up his share of scraps, tap-ins and rebounds.

EDIT - Maybe not 10. He'd get a few though, if he was playing every week.

Shite referee. How did Cabaye get through the first half without a yellow card? How did Johnson get knocked over by Ribery and the ball trickle out for a goal kick? If Ribery got the ball, then it's a corner, if he didn't, then it's a foul. Diarra wrestled someone to the ground by their neck, and he waved play on. Mental.

Shite referee. How did Cabaye get through the first half without a yellow card? How did Johnson get knocked over by Ribery and the ball trickle out for a goal kick? If Ribery got the ball, then it's a corner, if he didn't, then it's a foul. Diarra wrestled someone to the ground by their neck, and he waved play on. Mental.

Why didn't Johnson get yellowed when he forearmed Ribery in the face? How did Lescott survive that game without a yellow when he committed about 10 fouls? Parker took his usual chunks out of a couple of players as well.

Referee wasn't great but he missed things on both sides and wasn't half as bad as the woeful commentary team were trying to make out while England chased France around for 75 minutes.

I agree about Lescott and Parker. Johnson's catching Ribery in the face was quite accidental, purely from the motion of his arms when running. Unfortunate, and a foul, but I wouldn't give a yellow for it.

I had the game on mute because I can't stand ITV rabbiting on like we should just be given the win automatically. Just watching a bit of the punditry now and it's almost like we are going to smash Ukraine and Sweden by 10 goals each. Unbearable.

I bloody loved Shevchenko bagging that double, he just had a rough time in England with injuries and the massive price tag but he still got it, they're on the ropes a bit now mind, he's just been taken off.

The bloody useless BBC commentary team of Pearce and Keown were just spouting how England have 'nothing to fear' (that fucking annoying modern football cliché) from either of the teams. I think it could be a tight group.

Only saw the second half of the England match and yes they did look organized and defended very well. Thought the ref was pretty poor but at least he never sent anyone off.