aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

If you're not a natural defender you're probably best suited playing as the middle of the three, sweeping up, no? Depends I suppose if it's quite a narrow three with your wide midfielders dropping as makeshift fullbacks when you're defending or whether your left and right sided centrebacks get drawn into wide areas.

Guest Gladstone
Can you not get Lucky's ma to travel to away games?

This was a home game - at New Deer. We play a few away games in Fraserburgh though - Lucky's mum is just the local "go-to" for groin massages in the Broch though. I thought everyone knew that.

Guest Gladstone
If you're not a natural defender you're probably best suited playing as the middle of the three, sweeping up, no? Depends I suppose if it's quite a narrow three with your wide midfielders dropping as makeshift fullbacks when you're defending or whether your left and right sided centrebacks get drawn into wide areas.

Possibly. As a really young kid, I used to play at the back in 5s or 7s matches and played a similar role to a sweeper. I've hardly ever played as sweeper in 11s though. I have played at full back a fair bit though. Our system is really 1 sweeper and 2 markers. The idea is that we are tight and compact in the centre and the wide midfielders have the job of tracking their men back if they get in behind, but if the striker goes out wide, it's the "marker's" job to follow them. Our system would probably benefit from some form of zonal marking to be honest, but I don't think that's an amazing idea at this level. But if the three central defenders just stayed compact in the centre and picked up whoever was in the middle and the wide midfielders have to be aware of anyone in the "wing" position - but that would turn the formation effectively into a 5-2-3 which is even more ridiculous.

I just think it's a bad formation to try and play at this level but the manager is a stubborn cunt. He used the formation to a good degree of success 10-15 years ago at his previous club and then used it to a good degree of success about 10 years ago when he first took over at New Deer but that was down to the personnel he had at his disposal. Back then we had a fucking awesome team. Good football players who were mostly big hardy fuckers as well and we just battered through opponents. 3 hard as fuck defenders who mopped everything up. 4 very good midfielders (that was back when I was a bit of a whippet, playing out in left midfield, skinning defenders for fun), with 2 hard as fuck centre midfielders who could also play football and 2 quick wide men and 3 brilliant strikers who netted over 100 goals a season between them. It didn't matter how we played, we always won because of how good the players on the pitch were. Pumping the ball forward to the strikers worked because they were all good in the air and all good at finishing. Set pieces created shit loads of goals because of the height in our team. And we had one excellent player in midfield who should really have gone on to bigger and better things who just created chances for fun as well as being a dab-hand at curling free-kicks into the top corner*. Over the years though the formation hasn't always worked - firstly it was down to a lack of good strikers or lack of strikers fullstop in the team. The manager would insist on playing 3 up front even if two or sometimes three of them were natural midfielders. We do have a lot of decent strikers in the team now, but we have a massive lack of natural defenders, so I think it would be better to just have 2 central defenders and midfielders can slot in at full back. It gives more cover and more opportunity to play football from the back rather than always punting the ball forward hoping that one of the strikers latches onto something. We have an abundance of good midfielders in the team as well, so if the manager was insistent on playing 3 at the back, surely a 3-5-2 formation would be better. That's what I'd probably go with to be honest, but I'm nae in charge. Unfortunately. We'd win everything if I was in charge.

*this player and me once recreated the Di Canio / Cadete free kick, except he fucking scored. Free-kick about 25 yards out. I chipped the ball up to him and he volleyed it right into the top corner. Fucking have that, Buchan League. Definitely the best goal ever scored in football.

Guest Gladstone

Damn straight but the manager decides where I play and he's yet to pick me as sweeper. It took about 7 or 8 seasons before he actually played me in my strongest position (centre mid) and I've found myself back in defence in the past couple of matches because of a massive lack of defenders in the team. I may suggest that I play as sweeper on Saturday if I'm fit given that we're playing against a team that are yet to record a point in the league table.... Good time to try it out. We're short of midfielders on Saturday as well though, so I wouldn't mind trying to step into midfield on Saturday...

My groin will probably still be fucked so I might just be watching. We'll see.

Guest Gladstone
She's from New Deer. She probably would have turned up if you'd asked.

Fuck - I'd forgotten that we're related through marriage! I take it your Mum is Roslyn's sister then? For her age, Roslyn is hot, so I'm going to then assume that your mum is also smoking.

Your cousin Stephanie (who is married to my cousin) is also completely smoking.

/offtopic

Fuck - I'd forgotten that we're related through marriage! I take it your Mum is Roslyn's sister then? For her age, Roslyn is hot, so I'm going to then assume that your mum is also smoking.

/offtopic

She is Roselyn's sister. And I don't think I want to be part of this conversation any more.

• Upvote 3

/offtopic

Pics please. Lucky feel free to post pics of your ma.

• Upvote 1

That Russia punishment is wack. It applies to the next qualifying campaign. They should take the points off them now and send them packing. Not just "We'll let you play this time, but NEXT TIME, you're in bother". Weak. And it's "suspended" which pretty much means "we'll probably scrap it eventually".

Send the team and their fans home. Ban them from the next tournament. Attacking people for doing their jobs is shite. And in huge numbers too. Uncool. Then again, they are also being punished for the Polish fans sabotaging the Russia fans' organised march. It's all a bit of a mess.

I can't remember a tournament that has had so much trouble with violence in just the opening week. It's been mental.

England fans being dicks at Euro 2000 was the last one I can remember. Nearly got us kicked out of the tournament after the game against Germany. I think Phil Neville was so disgusted by their behaviour that he decided to take matters into his own hands and made that "mistake" against Romania that got us knocked out at the group stage. A man of his talent and integrity wouldn't have done it by accident.

England fans being dicks at Euro 2000 was the last one I can remember. Nearly got us kicked out of the tournament after the game against Germany. I think Phil Neville was so disgusted by their behaviour that he decided to take matters into his own hands and made that "mistake" against Romania that got us knocked out at the group stage. A man of his talent and integrity wouldn't have done it by accident.

There was a heap of trouble with England and Germany fans in Euro 96 as well right after the semi final.

x8a5zn

That was a pretty impressive strike though.

No doubt, but they have been cheating, diving and hacking their way through the whole game.

I'm relatively pleased though as Denmark have shown enough to prove they are a force to be reckoned with at this tourney. Gotta get something against your lot though!

So...Holland out tonight? Looks likely.