aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: The most miserable place to live in the UK?

Paranoid Android

Guest davetherave

Ditto Fertuiee's comment, I've been here over 15 years now and compared to many places I've lived and worked, Aberdeen is great. I also play the pub xyz game :)

I like the fact aberdeen has turned most of its churches into bars and clubs, feckin brilliant :up:

+1 for cockslit !!!

Can I just say something that may have been more relevant at the start of this thread (not sure what the business is with cockslits...)

I moved to Perth, Western Australia in September, from Aberdeen, as regulars will know. Sounds pretty ace on paper, 30+ degrees C every day, evenings at the beach, friendly folk...

Except I really don't like it. I really don't like the constant fucking insects everywhere, the constant "go outside, it's a lovely day" and the fact that the timezone means football is now on at 4 in the fucking morning instead of 5 in the afternoon.

For all its faults, Aberdeen is as close as you'll get to the cream of the crop in Scotland. It's a big city with good links but it's not utterly minging like Glasgow is (and some bits of Edinburgh, too). Sure, shops are closed on the main street, everything's grey as fuck, always pishing with rain... but we have it pretty good there. It seems far safer than other bits in the UK (cough, Manchester), it's got a really low price of living (here in Australia it's £6 for a Big Mac), and just in general people are chatty and it's just lovely.

I understand homesickness is driving this rant but it still makes me feel horrible knowing that people think this city is miserable, when compared to other situations it really really isn't.

Can I just say something that may have been more relevant at the start of this thread (not sure what the business is with cockslits...)

I moved to Perth, Western Australia in September, from Aberdeen, as regulars will know. Sounds pretty ace on paper, 30+ degrees C every day, evenings at the beach, friendly folk...

Except I really don't like it. I really don't like the constant fucking insects everywhere, the constant "go outside, it's a lovely day" and the fact that the timezone means football is now on at 4 in the fucking morning instead of 5 in the afternoon.

For all its faults, Aberdeen is as close as you'll get to the cream of the crop in Scotland. It's a big city with good links but it's not utterly minging like Glasgow is (and some bits of Edinburgh, too). Sure, shops are closed on the main street, everything's grey as fuck, always pishing with rain... but we have it pretty good there. It seems far safer than other bits in the UK (cough, Manchester), it's got a really low price of living (here in Australia it's £6 for a Big Mac), and just in general people are chatty and it's just lovely.

I understand homesickness is driving this rant but it still makes me feel horrible knowing that people think this city is miserable, when compared to other situations it really really isn't.

glasgow's not minging. bits of it yes, but generally it's pretty rad.

I'm glad you like Aberdeen so much, but I can't see where you're coming from with Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester. Fine places with as many minging bits as any other British city, or just city, really. Probably less so in the case of Edinburgh.

Most people will always have a soft spot and biased opinion of their home town.

Aberdeen is not a bad place by any means. Clean, tidy, hight employment, high standard of living and a low crime rate.

There is no reason to hate it, likewise I can't find reason to love it either. I guess it's what you are used to.

Like many people up here I'm solely here for the work. I was transferred here by my company and have no real issues with being here.

I'd prefer to be in the central belt and would much prefer to be in Edinburgh and even more so Glasgow. Both do everything better outside the jobs front as there is not the oil industry paying the cash that is on offer up here. Plenty jobs on the go too.

I make the best of my time here and have no issues but I can understand why people don't like it here.

I'm glad you like Aberdeen so much, but I can't see where you're coming from with Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester. Fine places with as many minging bits as any other British city, or just city, really. Probably less so in the case of Edinburgh.

That's one thing I notice. Aberdonians like to voice their opinions of other cities and often have little experience of them.

Guys I work with hardly leave Aberdeen which I think is odd.

However say a bad word about Aberdeen and you are wrong as you are an outsider. Yet they actually pretty much complain about the same things in Aberdeen but it's the outsider bit that causes most of the issues.

Guest Giles Walker
confess...I wish the vast majority of Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, whatevers would just fuck off. Aberdeen was shit enough before. A good friend of mine and colleague is Polish...and he feels stronger about it than I do! But he's not a racist, wife beating, drug dealing type with 6 kids to support. We have enough of them in Aberdeen already and I wish they would fuck off too. I didn't realise drug dealer / pimp / prostitute/lap dancer / toilet cleaner / road sweeper / bus driver was a job that we were in such high demand for and have no one capable of doing here that we need to double Aberdeen's population for. I work in a global company and come in contact with all cultures/ethnicity etc everyday. and would welcome the majority of people I work with with open arms...but seriously...what the fuck is going on...Poland can't be that bad that Printfield or Logie or Tillydrone seem like exotic dream getaways?!

this guy.

Sorry, but... can you explain what the fuck is going on in this post please?

I did a spot of growing up and recently resided for a year in the most liveable city in the world, and Aberdeen doesn't hold up too badly in comparison. We've got a lot to proud of in this city and some fantastic spots.

The grey depresses a lot of folk this time of year, but I think it's fantastic - moody and brooding and unique to Aberdeen really. It's got its downsides of course, but living elsewhere in the UK doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Upvote 1

Och, Aberdeen isn't bad at all. I get SAD fairly regularly around this time of year but to be honest I'd get it anywhere north of a certain point of latitude around winter time. That said, I'm keen to live somewhere else for a wee while once I finish the PhD. Glasgow would be first choice, then Edinburgh, but outside of that I'll look at most places and if I get a good job offer in Aberdeen I'd be daft to say no. I've got friends and family here, there's a decent amount of great places to go out for food and beers and if I get sick of it I can hop on a train or a bus for a weekend away. Nae danger.

As for safety, from my point of view as a homosexualist, I feel perhaps a tad safer holding my girlfriend's hand/giving her a wee kiss in public in Glasgow then I do Aberdeen. But only a tad. I should point out that this includes having abuse yelled at us by a dickhead in a passing car in Glasgow which has never happened in Aberdeen so I'm not sure how I came to this conclusion.

tbh I find it pretty hard to compare Aberdeen fairly against other cities. Being the place I grew up in (or near) I think makes my judgement of it distorted, probably for the better in some ways but for the worse in others.

Barcelona doesn't have a Codonas though so Aberdeen definitely wins the battle on that front!

I have always lived in the NE apart from a year down in Edinburgh when I worked offshore. Love Edinburgh, but I am happy to have frequent visits rather than have any desire to live there again, usually once or twice a year for a weekend or something like that. Glasgow for some reason I have just never taken to the same way. I find it has a more intimidating atmosphere than Edinburgh. Especially if you are a lesbian it seems. I have found walking hand in hand with a 5 foot and a bit woman after a gig is apparently threatening and somehow attracts wee neds to barge into you deliberately.

I am fine and happy in the NE area, serves my purposes in life. Can't say I found Edinburgh any more thrilling than Aberdeen really, other than several ace bands playing at the Liquid Rooms while I was there.

It does now of course have the advantage in still having an open FOPP. I miss FOPP.

I've lived in quite a few places now... Eaglesham near Glasgow... if you think Aberdeen is wet ..well this place has about 4 times the rainfall... nice wee village, but I was delighted to leave and move to Sunny Stonehaven... better schools, no bigotry about religion at least not on west of scotland terms... poisonous hateful people, but curiously great sense of humour. Then London for 3 years ... awful bloody place, too many people, too many cars ... unhelpful, unfriendly dirty city. Edinburgh/Leith loved that place but better job prospects back in Aberdeen. I have also lived in Holland and thats crap country as well... flat, boring and overcrowded.

Aberdeen, Aberdeen, might be grey and dreich on occasions but the upside of the environment, location and economy, more than compensates. I dont really want to live anywhere else.

Fuck off you absolute bell end, honestly. There are plenty of alternatives, moving out of the city is no harder than moving flat, the fact is your most likely to fucking lazy to go to the bother of finding out how you could do it, youd rather sit on your arse and moan about it. I hate people like that, your a waste of air as far as im concerned, ill happily keep my lie filled, middle class way of living if dickheads like you move away and dont come back.

Remember that discussion we had with Dubya? :p

I wouldn't live in Aberdeen again but I did really like it when I lived there. I'd say it's still my favourite city in Scotland at least... I'm indifferent to Glasgow and haven't spent much time at all in Edinburgh. Then there's Dundee, where I'm from...

I've lived in Saigon for 2 or 3 years and spent a bit of time in Tokyo, both of which I much prefer, but apples and oranges compared even to say, London (if you think there's too many people in London...), never mind Aberdeen.

I've lived in quite a few places now... Eaglesham near Glasgow... if you think Aberdeen is wet ..well this place has about 4 times the rainfall... nice wee village, but I was delighted to leave and move to Sunny Stonehaven... better schools, no bigotry about religion at least not on west of scotland terms... poisonous hateful people, but curiously great sense of humour. Then London for 3 years ... awful bloody place, too many people, too many cars ... unhelpful, unfriendly dirty city. Edinburgh/Leith loved that place but better job prospects back in Aberdeen. I have also lived in Holland and thats crap country as well... flat, boring and overcrowded.

Aberdeen, Aberdeen, might be grey and dreich on occasions but the upside of the environment, location and economy, more than compensates. I dont really want to live anywhere else.

I guess it might be different if you live there, but I loved Holland. After you get out of cheesy Amsterdam, the locals are really friendly.