aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: The most miserable place to live in the UK?

Paranoid Android

I wont argue against the annoyance of travelling across very large cities. It's the thing which most puts me off living in a very large city like London. However I think that's a different argument. It's one reason I'm so happy where I am now. The centre is compact enough so that I can walk or cycle anywhere or maybe take a short metro jouney if I'm in a hurry but I find there is more to interest me than in Aberdeen.

I dunno if anyone is into coastal treks, but if you go to the southern point of Aberdeen harbour (near the Torry battery), then you can drop on to a path that takes you right round to Cove along the coast. If you don't fancy going all the way to Cove, you can drop back onto the mainland beside St Fittick's church, explore the ruin and read about what used to be there, then walk back into town. It's a great little walk.

Plus...THERE'S A BEACH IN ABERDEEN. A BEACH!

That is pretty cool. I like beaches.

I think it obviously depends on what one's specific interest actually are, but I personally think there's plenty to do in Aberdeen.

A music scene with a wealth of venues, independent and chain cinemas (4 in total), the art gallery and peacock visual arts, a top division football team, reasonably abundant and decent quality sporting events/teams/venues, historic buildings and architecture etc etc

There aren't many cities that don't have these things, or those types of things. Replace "Football" with "Rugby League" and that probably covers Wakefield too, and Wakey is a hole.

I think 'a wealth of venues' might be over egging the pudding as well, unless you're including the ones that only seem to put on pub rock/covers bands too. There isn't too many places putting on DIY gigs either, nor is there many that are suitable since they are all mostly way too big. There is a lack of approx. 60-100 capacity venues for local and small touring bands. There's the Cellar, but if you play too loud, the police turn up. Uncool.

I don't mind Aberdeen, but what I do miss about Leeds is how central it is to just about everywhere. Hop on a train and you're 25 minutes away from York or Sheffield, 40 minutes from Manchester, 90 minutes from Newcastle or the Lake District, 1hr15mins from Liverpool etc, so if you're bored of Leeds, then you can be somewhere else in next to no time. Up here, if there's nothing taking your fancy in the town, then another viable option is ages away. Not that it's Aberdeen's fault there's not many surrounding cities. It's just neat to go to a gig in another city and still be able to get a last train home without having to leave early.

A music scene with a wealth of venues, independent and chain cinemas (4 in total), the art gallery and peacock visual arts, a top division football team, reasonably abundant and decent quality sporting events/teams/venues, historic buildings and architecture etc etc

The music scene doesn't offer me much I'm interested in (and "a wealth of venues" - really?), the top division football team is hideously overpriced when you consider the output's quality and, Marischal College and the university aside, I don't think there's anything interesting about Aberdeen's architecture at all. The granite is grim and in dire need of a clean. It hasn't sparkled in the sunshine for years.

I like Aberdeen, I just think it's one of the most unexciting places I've ever been to.

There's next to fuck-all to do in Aberdeen let's admit it. One or two art galleries? a few half-arsed museums that never rotate their exhibitions? The Belmont is decent enough but nothing special. I enjoy Aberdeen because I know nice people there and I like a nice pint in a nice pub. Oh, there's a dry ski slope, that's quite good. Transition is pretty good too. Outwith that, there's fuck all. That's ok though, i'm not bashing the place. After you get past the 'let's go down to the boulevard for a game of bowling and a film' stage of your life, there's very little to do of an evening except drink or go to a gig. It's just a symptom of the demographic of the population. There are teenagers and middle-aged people who live out in the sticks. Even the student 'scene' has all but disapeared.

Things i'd like to 'do' in a city:

regular workshops/classes in interesting things - Without sounding like a wank by comparing it to other places i've lived but in France there are tonnes of organisations or 'collectives' who put on classes in anything from pottery to electronic music. I went to a VJing thing once and it was a great way to spend a day.

flea markets and car boot sales for the under 60s

Art exhibitions - I can only think of peacock and the belmont

events in bars/venues/cafes that go beyond the usual gig/pub quiz - I noticed there was a screening of a local snowboarding film recently... this kind of thing.

Networking events - As wanky as it sounds, themed meet-ups are actually really good. I go to one for people who work in iOS development and it's a great way to meet people who are into the same kind of thing as you and you get a lot out of it.

Things in Aberdeen I can think of off the top of my head to expand on your initial examples.... I'm sure there are loads more. :)

regular workshops/classes in interesting things - Without sounding like a wank by comparing it to other places i've lived but in France there are tonnes of organisations or 'collectives' who put on classes in anything from pottery to electronic music. I went to a VJing thing once and it was a great way to spend a day.

Peacock etc do courses... I did a screenprinting one recently.

There is also CSS http://www.creativeculturescotland.co.uk/ who do loads of networking etc.

flea markets and car boot sales for the under 60s

Thainstone.... that's the only one I know....

Art exhibitions - I can only think of peacock and the belmont

Kilau regularly have exhibitions on.

Also, is there not some place up on Justice Mill too?

events in bars/venues/cafes that go beyond the usual gig/pub quiz - I noticed there was a screening of a local snowboarding film recently... this kind of thing.

Do the Moorings not show films now and again?

I also know at the Uni there are certainly film nights on in various venues that are open to the public too.

Networking events - As wanky as it sounds, themed meet-ups are actually really good. I go to one for people who work in iOS development and it's a great way to meet people who are into the same kind of thing as you and you get a lot out of it.

There are loads of networking events a couple of the guys in my office attend http://deerdigital.com/mighty/

There is also another regular one on in Musa - themeet140 http://cow-bell.co.uk/2010/05/28/social-media-gets-social-and-we-like-it-welcome-to-themeet140/

Cafe Scientifique is another one on regularly... in Waterstones I think.

• Upvote 1

I live in a large city with a probably worse music scene than Aberdeen, loads of people, noise, chaos and ludicrously bad traffic. :D Still one of my favourite places in the world that I've been to, though, at least partly because of what I might politely call its "energy". I've been to London a couple of time, and while I only meandered around the centre during the day, it struck me as pretty quiet and spacious, seriously. If/when I do return to the developed world I'd definitely want a better and more varied music scene than Aberdeen's.

Things in Aberdeen I can think of off the top of my head to expand on your initial examples.... I'm sure there are loads more. :)

Peacock etc do courses... I did a screenprinting one recently.

There is also CSS http://www.creativeculturescotland.co.uk/ who do loads of networking etc.

Thainstone.... that's the only one I know....

Kilau regularly have exhibitions on.

Also, is there not some place up on Justice Mill too?

Do the Moorings not show films now and again?

I also know at the Uni there are certainly film nights on in various venues that are open to the public too.

There are loads of networking events a couple of the guys in my office attend http://deerdigital.com/mighty/

There is also another regular one on in Musa - themeet140 http://cow-bell.co.uk/2010/05/28/social-media-gets-social-and-we-like-it-welcome-to-themeet140/

Cafe Scientifique is another one on regularly... in Waterstones I think.

Nice! There was none of this when I lived there so everyone can just shut their moaning faces.

• Upvote 2

As an aside, I genuinely hope some people get something out of this thread and start using the city better. I was in a bunch of societies at uni and they always died on their arse a few weeks in because nae cunt showed up. I worked in catering for a while (shudder) and i remember doing a lot of different events for the hoity toity (one was the opening of an apartment complex and they had famous lookalikes just floating about the place). They were always very exclusive but I remember thinking if they filtered down to us peasants Aberdeen could be amazing. Purely because it's nice to do something different every once in a while.

To expand on the flea markets/car boot sales for under 60s, I'd suggest an afternoon rummaging around some of the very well-stocked charity shops Aberdeen has to offer. I used to love doing this once a month, and I'd go home with a shoulder-satchel full of clothes I like, music that I won't find in record shops anymore, and some nice surrealist art. All of this without the need to spend more than about fifteen quid.

It's a nice walk which will take you right up and down Union Street, Holburn Street, Denburn, George Street, and King Street. And wherever else you can find charity shops.

People seem very quick to knock Aberdeen's music venue situation...from an outsider's point of view, I think Aberdeen is the second best town or city in Scotland for venues and worthwhile promoters. Soda Jerk is right when he highlights the lack of small-scale venues, but apart from Glasgow, I can't think of any town or city in this country that has a better spread of mid-range venues that are available at a good rate for independent promoters and bands. Edinburgh, certainly, is fucked venue-wise and Dundee has a very small handful of venues, as does Inverness.

I always kept myself highly occupied in the city of Aberdeen, and I really do struggle to comprehend when people try to argue that there's so little to do. But like I have already suggested, it certainly depends on personal proclivities and expectations.

• Upvote 1

You'd think with the amount of mid-range venues, it would entice touring bands to travel up here, but they mostly seem to see the central belt as being as far north as possible, then sod off back to London for an added 2nd or 3rd date. Bummers.

I think the lack of small venues severley harms the scene as a local circuit, as it's a rarity that a local band is going to pull more than 40 or 50 people off their own backs anyway, especially new bands. Some of the mid-range venues have great sound and stage set ups, but if you've not got 100 folk in there it can look and feel dead, regardless of how pant-shittingly awesome the band that's playing is. It's easier and cheaper to put on a gig for a small/new local band in a small vanue, as the cost is usually less and the backline often doesn't require mic'ing due to the size of the room, so you rarely even need a proper sound guy just to get the vocals at the right level. If there were more PA equipped function rooms for hire for gigs, more gigs would happen, and the music scene would be more 'active' as it were. In my opinion, of course.

You'd think with the amount of mid-range venues, it would entice touring bands to travel up here, but they mostly seem to see the central belt as being as far north as possible, then sod off back to London for an added 2nd or 3rd date. Bummers.

I think the lack of small venues severley harms the scene as a local circuit, as it's a rarity that a local band is going to pull more than 40 or 50 people off their own backs anyway, especially new bands. Some of the mid-range venues have great sound and stage set ups, but if you've not got 100 folk in there it can look and feel dead, regardless of how pant-shittingly awesome the band that's playing is. It's easier and cheaper to put on a gig for a small/new local band in a small vanue, as the cost is usually less and the backline often doesn't require mic'ing due to the size of the room, so you rarely even need a proper sound guy just to get the vocals at the right level. If there were more PA equipped function rooms for hire for gigs, more gigs would happen, and the music scene would be more 'active' as it were. In my opinion, of course.

I'd agree with this actually. low attendence local gigs are wasted in tunnels/drummonds. I don't think there is much need for more venues, Aberdeen has a decent number but cull one and replace with 2 smaller ones = bingo.

Guest Gladstone

It's got an open gallery and a'thin where the band could perform, looking down on the crowd. I also have a piano in my living room where punters could ad lib along with the music. Rock on.

I agree with this totally. But aside from Glasgow, these gigs don't generally tend to happen anywhere else in Scotland, apart from a small smattering of cool people in Dundee putting on DIY shows, and an even smaller handful of people doing the same in Edinburgh.

Also, to attract these touring bands to Aberdeen, the promoters need to have balls and provide them with the things they need to travel to Aberdeen and play a gig. Some of the bands I put on said they previously had offers/interest from promoters in Aberdeen, but the promoters seemed to rest on their laurels and automatically tell them "I can't get that many people into a gig in Aberdeen to cover your fee and associated costs", which is a fucking ridiculous thing to say, and almost an avoidance of responsibility. If a band hears a promoter/venue tell them that, then bands and artists won't ever feel the need to book a show in Aberdeen. Bands speak to each other.

But yeah, Aberdeen and almost every other town and city in Scotland would benefit massively from small-scale music venues being available, but it certainly isn't something that's inherent to Aberdeen. There are numerous spaces for small-scale gigs in Aberdeen, but only a very small handful of promoters seem to genuinely investigate these as potential spaces to put on smaller shows.

To expand on the flea markets/car boot sales for under 60s, I'd suggest an afternoon rummaging around some of the very well-stocked charity shops Aberdeen has to offer. I used to love doing this once a month, and I'd go home with a shoulder-satchel full of clothes I like, music that I won't find in record shops anymore, and some nice surrealist art. All of this without the need to spend more than about fifteen quid.

It's a nice walk which will take you right up and down Union Street, Holburn Street, Denburn, George Street, and King Street. And wherever else you can find charity shops.

I did this entire walk at least once every two weeks, and would usually go into at least one or two charity shops every couple of days. Some of them are fantastic, particularly the Oxfam bookshop on Back Wynd. Really love that place. They would sometimes have a better selection of books than smaller chain bookstores that I've been into.

There's also the wee place on the way to the uni, can't remember for the life of me what it's called, but it looks like the guy just decided to convert his living room into a bookshop one day. One of the best places to pass a couple of hours in Aberdeen. Last time I was in, they had the best sci-fi collection I'd seen for a very long time!

Also, The Grill. What a bar.

What do people who think Aberdeen has nothing, is lacking?

In such a small space it does have a lot from what I can see but much of it already seems underused.

There is quite a few music venues of various size and none seem to be that in demand. Might it be 15-20 folk standing in Drummonds to support local bands, a 70% full Music hall for Shed Seven the other week or still far from full AECC for The Arctic Monkeys the week before, is there a need for any more?

Plenty of pubs and clubs which most seem to do well only on a Saturday night. Friday can be down and Sunday never really takes off up here. Is there any need for more?

There is plenty of family activities golf,crazy golf, Karting, swimming, ice skating, skiing, climbing wall, bowling etc and half the time I attend these places they are not that busy. What else is required apart from maybe a snooker center?

Restaurants. Plenty of them too. Seems to be an inconsistent trade for the ones I go to.

Shops are ok. Got all the high street big hitters but still does not seem as busy as even new towns shopping centres like East Kilbride or Livingston.

There is more than enough here and plenty of people manage fine without leaving Aberdeen.

Not sure what else can be added when most activities/attractions are already outstripping demand.

Nonetheless plenty to be doing rather than sitting around.

Leeds is mint. Great local music scene and a fuckton of great venues of varying sizes, but most importantly for a local scene there is a plethora of small ones. The City Centre isn't the nicest cosmetically, but I like it because it's so compact and everything is squashed together, so everywhere is within walking distance. Good shops too. Loads of indie record shops, comic shops, there's 3 guitar shops just on the same street, with a number of others dotted around too.

The local scene went through a bit of a slump of inactivity a few years ago when some venues closed down and loads of people moved away, but it seems to be booming again. Ridiculous amounts of gigs happening, and since everywhere is so close by, you can go to a gig in Manchester, York or Sheffield and still get the last train back to Leeds. It was 9 quid return from Leeds to Manc on the train when I lived there. Just ridiculous compared to the price of train fares between cities in Scotland.

So yeah. Move to Leeds. Everyone loves Leeds. Unless they're a dick.

• Upvote 1