aberdeen-music

Aberdeen: The most miserable place to live in the UK?

Paranoid Android

Aye I agree. Fucking horrible. Nahh, now they actually sometimes play decent songs that makes me hate songs I should like.

I was on the bus one time and I had forgotten headphones. I got to hear 3 girls grogging and spitting at the back of the bus, talking about how one of them, when 14, sold crushed up paracetamol to heroin users and how they were planning on smashing some windows in Kincorth or something.

Then day I do remember my headphones I'm treated to a bunch of drunken chavs taking some poor guy's jacket off him then going "okay you're cool, sorry". I assume they were searching him for something.

Aberdeen is a wonderful place, the people on the other hand, are bastards.

I've only been living in Aberdeen for about 4 months now so this is a pretty interesting thread to me because so far I've found it shit compared to anywhere else I've ever lived. At the risk of being told to fuck off and move somewhere else, it just doesn't have as much to offer me as the other places I've lived (This is the sixth place I've lived for longer than a couple of months). I totally agree that the NE of Scotland is magic in terms of walking etc, which I love, but if you're happy to drive a couple of hours out of most Scottish cities you can do something pretty interesting.

To end this incoherent, half-cut addition, the reason I joined this forum is because I like music and going to gigs and for whatever reason there's just not as many gigs that I want to go to here and it's a fucking trek to Edinburgh / Glasgow. Also, I'm pretty sure (and hopeful) that there are many interesting places in Aberdeen that I am yet to discover.

the reason I joined this forum is because I like music and going to gigs and for whatever reason there's just not as many gigs that I want to go to here and it's a fucking trek to Edinburgh / Glasgow. Also, I'm pretty sure (and hopeful) that there are many interesting places in Aberdeen that I am yet to discover.

Have you been to Tunnels/Drummonds and that? Plenty folk offering live music every night. :)

Aye I agree. Fucking horrible. Nahh, now they actually sometimes play decent songs that makes me hate songs I should like.

I was on the bus one time and I had forgotten headphones. I got to hear 3 girls grogging and spitting at the back of the bus, talking about how one of them, when 14, sold crushed up paracetamol to heroin users and how they were planning on smashing some windows in Kincorth or something.

Then day I do remember my headphones I'm treated to a bunch of drunken chavs taking some poor guy's jacket off him then going "okay you're cool, sorry". I assume they were searching him for something.

Aberdeen is a wonderful place, the people on the other hand, are bastards.

Heh, which bus was that? Obviously the bus I take (19/16A) isn't exciting enough...

I was however on the 17 to the Haudagain (had to film it for Uni) and we were sat behind the loudest most arseholish lesbian chavs I've ever seen. Guess it depends which bit of the city you have to suffer.

What is the weather like in Aberdeen at the moment? Wasn't it about this time last year the city descended back into the ice age? I spent most of last December really worried about getting back home for christmas. Made it back okay despite loads of delays making it a super long day of travelling.

Weather plays a huge part in the character of a city. Sometimes in summer you'll see the odd cafe or restaurant stick out a few tables but it somehow doesn't seem quite right. The al fresco cafe culture is best left to the mediterranean countries. Scotland does 'cozy wee pub' very well though and there are plenty in Aberdeen. The unpredictability of Scottish weather is something I really don't miss about living in Aberdeen. Where I am now if it says it's gonna rain it rains solid for a day or two and you can prepare for it. In Aberdeen you'd look outside and see t-shirt weather then 5 minutes later it'd be chucking it down with hail. Either the weather system really is unpredictbale or Michael Fish needs to pull the finger out.

For me it's 6 months of uniformly glorious weather then 6 months of both baking heat and mental rain every day. The latter is totally unpredictable, you can find both in two adjacent districts. Haven't used a weather forecast for years other than to check whether the average high is 33 or 36 or 38 :D I actually used to think I liked the cold in Aberdeen (or Dundee or wherever), it being easier to warm up than cool down, but that was before I'd been anywhere warm..

For me it's 6 months of uniformly glorious weather then 6 months of both baking heat and mental rain every day. The latter is totally unpredictable, you can find both in two adjacent districts. Haven't used a weather forecast for years other than to check whether the average high is 33 or 36 or 38 :D I actually used to think I liked the cold in Aberdeen (or Dundee or wherever), it being easier to warm up than cool down, but that was before I'd been anywhere warm..

It was 36C here today, I sort of wanted to die. Not sure how anyone would like living in this all year round...

It was 36C here today, I sort of wanted to die. Not sure how anyone would like living in this all year round...

Max most days is 32-33. The thing with it being hot all year round is that one's abode is actually equipped to deal with it (i.e. air-conditioned). When it does get into the mid-20s in the UK, it can be uncomfortable because people don't own air-con units or fans, buildings are designed to keep heat in, etc. I'm thinking about at night mainly, the heat (and perhaps more importantly, humidity) doesn't bother me unless I'm trying to sleep.

Max most days is 32-33. The thing with it being hot all year round is that one's abode is actually equipped to deal with it (i.e. air-conditioned). When it does get into the mid-20s in the UK, it can be uncomfortable because people don't own air-con units or fans, buildings are designed to keep heat in, etc. I'm thinking about at night mainly, the heat (and perhaps more importantly, humidity) doesn't bother me unless I'm trying to sleep.

Ah, right, okay. My house doesn't have aircon since it's a (relatively) cheap rental place. Find one of those for six people is hard.

Weather plays a huge part in the character of a city. Sometimes in summer you'll see the odd cafe or restaurant stick out a few tables but it somehow doesn't seem quite right. The al fresco cafe culture is best left to the mediterranean countries. Scotland does 'cozy wee pub' very well though and there are plenty in Aberdeen. The unpredictability of Scottish weather is something I really don't miss about living in Aberdeen. Where I am now if it says it's gonna rain it rains solid for a day or two and you can prepare for it. In Aberdeen you'd look outside and see t-shirt weather then 5 minutes later it'd be chucking it down with hail. Either the weather system really is unpredictbale or Michael Fish needs to pull the finger out.

Aberdeen weather is actually pretty manageable if you stick to some simple rules. If it's t-shirt weather, always take a bag with a jumper and jacket.

Joking aside, Aberdeen is a place I like and dislike in equal parts. I love that you're never far away from somewhere serene and peaceful, and I agree it looks amazing in the summer, and the beach is awesome. I love a lot of the old buildings and quite often go walking with my headphones in looking for / at old buildings, the likes of Fittie and the Torry Battery are great scenery unique to the region. The parks and the riverside are gorgeous too and the scenery out Deeside is properly spectacular. However I dislike how fucking dreadful the transport links are, the council cuts, how overpriced everything is and how filthy and noisy Union Street is. Whole city centre needs a good scrub.

I'm living in a capital city atm, and the big first thing I noticed that was different from Aberdeen is that there are so many more things in Dublin, by which I mean shops / businesses / services etc. You want a burrito at 5 in the morning? No problem. A street full of African / Asian shops and market stalls selling all manner of vegetables / fruit / spices you've never even heard of? Done. New York style pizza shop owned by Huey from the Fun Lovin' Criminals? Yup. Also you feel much more as though you're a part of something in a capital city. It's weird, for example, switching on The Apprentice and seeing the contestants walking down a street you were on that morning, or seeing a t-shirt that your girlfriend printed being used as a prop on the Irish version of TV Burp, or reading a review of a restaurant in the national press of a place just round the corner from your house and thinking "I can go there" rather than "I can go there next time I'm in Glasgow / Edinburgh". There's just so much more going on, in terms of gigs / festivals / events / theatre etc. A few weeks ago I inadvertently wandered onto the set of a Bollywood movie. That definitely never happened in Aberdeen.

/Cloud

That all said, I do miss the fact that as mentioned above, in Aberdeen you're never more than 10 minutes from a bit of peace and quiet. In Dublin the city centre is so fucking noisy and busy it can be horrifying, especially at this time of year, and you can get on a bus for a half hour, get off and it's still fucking noisy and deafening :-/ Plus Friday and Saturday nights most of the pubs are so busy you can barely even get in to most of them, and you've no chance of getting a table unless you're in a pub by like 7.