aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Someone at Pittodrie Bar had a cardboard coffin with "RIP (AFC logo) Thank You Milne"

For some reason it was carried away by the Police... Maybe Milne was actually in there.

They carried it to Pittodrie (I mis-typed this as Pittodire just now, maybe more accurate) and left it at the front door of the main stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgBW3NTsBc

Definitely need a better goalkeeper and/or defence. Don't know if Langfield's worth hanging onto, even. I mean, Langfield is excellent on his day, but in big games he cracks like a bloody egg. Went down to Hampden for the Celtic semi last year (maybe this year?) and he looked like he was shaking in the warm-up, bless. That and he seems to forget his near-post exists.

just watched the highlights. vernon and chalali should've had penalties. st mirrens first goal was a handball. referee is clearly just a fucking dick.

Not to mention the goal that was chalked off for being 'offside' despite no Aberdeen player interfering with play, as well as a baffling red card for Fyvie.

Still, it was ours to lose though. As shit as the referee was we should never have let them get back into the game.

Don't think our problem is anything to do with lack of pace. Jack, Foster, Milsom, Fyvie are all plenty quick enough down the wings. We looked like a pacey side when we were 2-0 up.

I'm not so sure, I'd say it really hinders us at times. Foster is lightning quick and Milsom and Jack are mobile enough but other than that I'd say we struggle in this aspect of the game. On several occassions yesterday the ball went up to Vernon and Fallon but there was no support coming through from midfield so they tend to get isolated up top. Having that bit more mobility would allow us to break out of defence, support the front men and close down the opposition quicker when they are in possession.

Agreed about the defending mind you. Horribly uncertain about themselves at times and probably need someone to show a bit of leadership. I wouldn't actually say teams get too many chances against us but frustratingly/inevitably we lose concentration and give away daft goals.

I'm not so sure, I'd say it really hinders us at times. Foster is lightning quick and Milsom and Jack are mobile enough but other than that I'd say we struggle in this aspect of the game. On several occassions yesterday the ball went up to Vernon and Fallon but there was no support coming through from midfield so they tend to get isolated up top. Having that bit more mobility would allow us to break out of defence, support the front men and close down the opposition quicker when they are in possession.

Agreed about the defending mind you. Horribly uncertain about themselves at times and probably need someone to show a bit of leadership. I wouldn't actually say teams get too many chances against us but frustratingly/inevitably we lose concentration and give away daft goals.

Yeah, I agree the midfield weren't always supporting the strikers, but that had nothing to do with lack of pace IMO. They just didn't make the runs. Like I said, our central defensive pair are hopeless at clearing their lines, and finding a red shirt, so the midfield has to drop deep and becomes disconnected from the front two.

The more pressure we came under, the more unwilling the midfield was to gamble and make the supporting runs, preferring just to sit deep and invite more pressure.

AFC are generally a quick side compared with others in the league. They're just not very good.

Yeah, I agree the midfield weren't always supporting the strikers, but that had nothing to do with lack of pace IMO. They just didn't make the runs. Like I said, our central defensive pair are hopeless at clearing their lines, and finding a red shirt, so the midfield has to drop deep and becomes disconnected from the front two.

The more pressure we came under, the more unwilling the midfield was to gamble and make the supporting runs, preferring just to sit deep and invite more pressure.

AFC are generally a quick side compared with others in the league. They're just not very good.

Totally agree. We had the relative pace to make the runs, it's just that nobody made them.

How long until Vernon leaves now do you reckon? First proven goalscorer we've had since Stavrum (Argubly), reckon he'll go to a better SPL side in the summer. Shame, like the player and the guy. Really underrated.

Just been on Wikipedia - Russell has only played 53 games since he left Aberdeen in 2007, and is currently recovering from a hamstring injured that has kept him out for 2 months. Another hamstring injury last season kept him out for 3 months. Ruptured ankle ligaments kept him out for 3 months while at Sunderland in 2007, before he suffered a cruciate injury that kept him out for 14 months while on loan at Burnley.

If we were signing the Russell Anderson of 2005-6, I'd be all over this......very doubtful that we'll be getting the same player.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12122011/58/premier-league-balotelli-150-000-curry.html

enjoyed what is likely to prove the most expensive curry in history on Saturday night.

Staying out past one o'clock on Sunday morning meant Balotelli had broken managerRoberto Mancini's player curfew, and will land the 21-year-old a fine of a week's wages. That is a cool £150,000.The Manchester City striker went for a midnight curry with friends at popular Indian restaurant Zouk less than 48 hours before the critical Premier League match against Chelsea.

Of course, you might be wondering how he got caught; after all, a quiet, late-night curry after a booze-free evening is unlikely to have caused much commotion on a Saturday night in Manchester city centre.

Not for Balotelli, however: according to the Daily Star's account, the player and his friends decided to entertain their fellow diners by staging an impromptu mock sword fight, using rolling pins as pretend swords.

As ever with the entertaining Italian, you simply couldn't make it up.

OH MY GOD IM AWAY TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK ANYONE GOT ANY SAUCE ON THIS?!?!?!?!

Yep - "nothing happening yet" was the quote. He's still got max two months to recover from an injury so I doubt anything would be done until he's fit. He is spending his Christmas recovery period with Aberdeen and he has been released from his contract at Derby. I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage.

Not to mention the goal that was chalked off for being 'offside' despite no Aberdeen player interfering with play, as well as a baffling red card for Fyvie.

Do you mean the cross from Fyvie late on? It didn't go in - the keeper pushed it round the post. But...we were denied a corner from which we would have obviously scored.

Anyway, I appreciate we weren't good enough but we didn't get the rub of the green. Vernon's penalty shout was a stone waller and it was definitely hand ball for their first goal although nobody seemed to claim at the time. I think we were all so astounded at how we let them score with such ease to notice the hand ball.

Considine and Mawene are very slow and I think that is a big factor when coming up against teams who can pass the ball to each other and have a nippy striker.