aberdeen-music

Belmont Cinema in trouble?

Lemonade

Seems to be a lot of talk on twitter about the council closing it down.

Colin Farquhar (CLNFRQHR) on Twitter

#Aberdeen , your local arts cinema, Belmont Picturehouse, is in trouble. Please RT to let @aberdeenCC know you care
The cinema was to be transferred to new management, but they are no longer sure if they want to take us on.
Council awarded lease to Filmhouse, but it fell/is falling through. We have a stay of execution. May 26th is the deadline.
If nothing is sorted by May 26th we will close.

Hopefully there'll be some kind of event / fundraising etc so we can try to keep it open. Not a place I visit often tbh but would be sad to see it go.

Belmont does have a fantastic selection of films and it is nice to be in a place not filled with loud chavs, but the screens are tiny unless you are up really close and the sound isn't very loud or 'cinematic'. If a movie was at Belmont and VUE or Cineworld, I'd go to the bigger chains, but it's great fort he smaller independent releases.

Exactly what Idolwild said. If people don't support local places we'll be stuck with nothing but chains with no variety. Same reasons we should support one up and the like.

I'm still gutted I missed a one of showing the Belmont did of Jaws when I was in second year on Uni. My all time favourite movie, would have loved to see it on the big screen.

I don't go to the Belmont nearly as often as I should. It's great to have it there because it's the only place around that shows indie films, foreign language films, local films, re-screenings of classics etc, and I've seen some great under-the-radar movies in there. However the vast majority of films I personally go to are big-budget, popcorn-muncher Hollywood blockbusters, and truthfully I feel like a bit of a philistine going to a place that calls itself an "arthouse cinema" and asking for two tickets to Transformers. I'm sure it's the blockbusters that provide most of their bread-and-butter as well, but I just don't go there for those kinds of movies. However if it stays open I will make a point of going more often.

What I do like about it is that it's a cinema for people who love movies, and you don't get annoying teenagers throwing M&Ms around, people whispering and people's phones ringing during films.

I don't go to the Belmont nearly as often as I should. It's great to have it there because it's the only place around that shows indie films, foreign language films, local films, re-screenings of classics etc, and I've seen some great under-the-radar movies in there. However the vast majority of films I personally go to are big-budget, popcorn-muncher Hollywood blockbusters, and truthfully I feel like a bit of a philistine going to a place that calls itself an "arthouse cinema" and asking for two tickets to Transformers. I'm sure it's the blockbusters that provide most of their bread-and-butter as well, but I just don't go there for those kinds of movies. However if it stays open I will make a point of going more often.

What I do like about it is that it's a cinema for people who love movies, and you don't get annoying teenagers throwing M&Ms around, people whispering and people's phones ringing during films.

As I said, for the nich of independent/foreign language films etc it's great. However it doesn't create the spectacle of a blockbuster at all like the big chains do due to the screen size and sound systems being inadequate for those types of movie. If I had a straight choice of movie being shown at either place I'd choose the chain.

Plus at VUE I can get 2 tickets for 3.50 on Wednesdays.(student price + orange wednesdays) 1.75 to see a movie is too good to turn down!

I don't go very often, but it's the one I prefer when I do want to go the cinema. I'd miss it for the obvious reasons already stated....it's ned-light, shows a better range of films etc

The lack of massive screens, loud sound etc doesn't bother me, not being a young twat, but I would like comfier seats/more leg room.

I like it because it shows independent films/directors a lot more and they have good screenings of old films. Like Ryan said, it's also a cinema for film-lovers and you aren't as likely to have some ned on his phone or chucking sweets around.

That being said, I think I've only been maybe 3 times this year, whereas I've been to VUE/Cineworld maybe 10 times in total. This is completely down to price- as a student, having a ticket cost an extra 1-1.50 will sway your mind on these things cos I have no fucking money. Only way for the Belmont to appeal to us skint-types would be for the gov't to subsidise it a little. Would really like to see it stay and I think it's a shame I can't support it as often as I'd like to.

They do those student showings of films for free..Slackers Club or something? You sign up online and get details about what films are being shown.

I'm a Belmont Cinema member, but because I've had no money this year, like most folk I've been a handful of times. It's a great little cinema and I've got some good memories associated with it. I'd be gutted to see it go.

Plaed an incredible gig in there when I was eighteen with de Barros. We got told that we were too loud during soundcheck, so we just played two songs (Serrate and Drag You Down), but took them off in different, less raucous directions.

Definitely the sort of spontaneity that goes wrong 9/10 times, but we got it plumb on the money that night. People were going feel!

My flatmate John Scrotal Tunic Cromar subsequently played a set using a vibrator as an ebow.

One of my all-time favourite gigs.

AND-MY-AXE.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Gimli

Wow, best post ever. You must spread.

I went to the Belmont a lot when I was a younger man. My flatmate and I got pretty big into it for a while, but laterally stopped hanging out as much which put a stump to our man dates. The chin touching and bad facial hair always annoyed me a bit, but its still a great wee place. I might go next week if anyone's up for it?

Wow, best post ever. You must spread.

I went to the Belmont a lot when I was a younger man. My flatmate and I got pretty big into it for a while, but laterally stopped hanging out as much which put a stump to our man dates. The chin touching and bad facial hair always annoyed me a bit, but its still a great wee place. I might go next week if anyone's up for it?

Did you start hanging out in more forward moving ways that left the Belmont cinema behind?

• Upvote 1